Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1673085 times)

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #4155 on: January 01, 2014, 01:07:53 pm »
Found this dozy...

WE HAVE FOSSILS.....SO *PBBBBTH!*

Well, if that's the point of the cartoon, the artist did it wrong.

... Or maybe my liberal rage is on the fritz again.

Taken as apolitical, it's hilarious! Taken as political, it's stupid.

But as the former, it's darkly hilarious! The joke being that you have all these dorks doing "EXTREEEEEMMME!" sports like "chainsaw skiing" or whatever that it wouldn't be surprising that they're crappy at it & need an "All-Handicapped" parking lot.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:35:43 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #4156 on: January 01, 2014, 01:14:13 pm »
When I said that at RR many moons ago (well, more of the "what about fossils?" without so much the pfthhpppp part), I got the answer:

"They date the ground around the fossils by the fossils, and date the fossils by the ground around them.  They don't really know how old either the ground or the fossils are!"

Ooooh my debate bone itched, but you can't debate there without bannination.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:57:27 pm by the Doctor »

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #4157 on: January 01, 2014, 05:59:31 pm »

Allow me to repeat the rebuttal points of SECOTM:
1) There are three unemployed people for every job opening. Saying “Get a job” is about as helpful as yelling “Don’t have cancer!” to people with Leukemia.
2) Michael Ramirez’s job is doing this shit. That’s his contribution to the world. The fact that he thinks he can be so condescending is just staggering.

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #4158 on: January 01, 2014, 06:11:41 pm »
Hmm, looks like I didn't look far enough (error on my part), the original post about the lightbulb graphic on LL101 Facebook page is still there, but at least it's more evidence to their ignorance. Link
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 06:15:46 pm by KZN02 »
What is, is not; what is not, is.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4159 on: January 01, 2014, 08:33:43 pm »
Also even the starter jobs can't compete with rising rent rates. 
Actually eliminate the latter 3 and you got some good advice

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #4160 on: January 01, 2014, 09:13:17 pm »
Also even the starter jobs can't compete with rising rent.

In other words conservatives are a living, breathing "Old Economy Steve" meme.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #4161 on: January 02, 2014, 04:34:06 pm »
Found this dozy...

WE HAVE FOSSILS.....SO *PBBBBTH!*

Yes we have fossils of early hominids.

we don't' seem to have any fossils of santa clause or ghosts.

BUT what really strikes me as ironic is how this guy dismisses the supernatural to dismiss evolution.

IS there some atheist version of creationism I missed?
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4162 on: January 02, 2014, 06:01:29 pm »
@Booley: Nope.  They're the same people that outright deny that magic exists while simultaneously believing in a being that magically created everything.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4163 on: January 03, 2014, 12:21:07 am »
@Booley: Nope.  They're the same people that outright deny that magic exists while simultaneously believing in a being that magically created everything.

I think that's a fallacy.

Believing in aliens does not mean you must also believe in Santa for example. It is perfectly possible to believe in one thing that others consider to be supernatural. Neither does believing religion X mean that you must also believe in all other religions for example.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline LeTipex

• Bishop
  • I'm right, because I accept that I can be wrong.
« Reply #4164 on: January 03, 2014, 07:02:29 am »

Believing in aliens does not mean you must also believe in Santa for example. It is perfectly possible to believe in one thing that others consider to be supernatural. Neither does believing religion X mean that you must also believe in all other religions for example.
If Jesus, then Aliens.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4165 on: January 03, 2014, 10:12:28 am »

Nonono, you misunderstand me.  They literally say "magic isn't real" while believing in a being that can only logically exist thru magic.  The disconnect is theirs in that they completely deny the obviously magical machinations of their own deity as being magical, because they don't believe in magic, while simultaneously believing in a god that does magic.  If an act, such as creating light before there's anything to emit said light, can't logically be done inside the framework of science, then it stands to reason that the explanation must therefore rely on magic.

It is incongruous to both hold that there is no magic, while believing in a being whose very existence can only logically be due to magic.  Its not "there's no Wiccan magic" or "there's no Voodoo magic," but "there's no magic, at all."  Yes, this is a phenomenon I've encountered exclusively in the Abrahamic faiths' practitioners.  If one kind of magic exists, then magic exists, in at least one form.

Also, there's no "believing" in aliens.  There are aliens, we simply haven't encountered them, yet, that we know of.  By the Law of Large Numbers: if one event can occur, then if the sample space is large enough, it must be able to happen again.  The universe is incredibly large, and it'd make sense that we're not the only sapient, technological species out there.  Besides, if we were, then the universe would be incredibly boring, no?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 10:18:04 am by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #4166 on: January 03, 2014, 12:19:47 pm »

Some of the comments that followed

you people who believe any "Scientific" study you believe are very naïve. Anyone who has taken a statistics course knows that you can design a study to get the results that you want. I don't trust "scientists".

I actually know a lot about what I am talking about. I don't trust science. Scientists try to disprove that God exists, so I guess so I supposed to believe that too. Science tells me I evolved from monkeys, I don't believe that. Its scientists that are creating these chemicals in labs that are making us sick. So keep trusting science. Make sure that you eat your GMO food, get your vaccines and drink your fluorinated water. Have a good day.

If correlation doesn't equal causation I am sure you will admit that there is no proof that vaccines caused decline of illness. It is simply an assumption. Dr. Wakefield is nothing but a scapegoat. Recent news articles, however, show that there are more scientists skewing data to get vaccines approved. You might want to look the other direction, Charlie.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:23:36 pm by Cataclysm »
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline booley

• Pope
  • Grand High Viceroy of the Eastern Expanses
« Reply #4167 on: January 03, 2014, 03:03:24 pm »

If Jesus, then Aliens.

I'm just saying that seems ironic since the same critical thinking that would suggest ghosts, santa and the easter bunny don't' exist would also support evolution.
“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.”
The Doctor

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4168 on: January 03, 2014, 04:25:34 pm »
It is incongruous to both hold that there is no magic, while believing in a being whose very existence can only logically be due to magic.  Its not "there's no Wiccan magic" or "there's no Voodoo magic," but "there's no magic, at all."  Yes, this is a phenomenon I've encountered exclusively in the Abrahamic faiths' practitioners.  If one kind of magic exists, then magic exists, in at least one form.

That may be what Christians say they believe, but what they really believe is "There's no magic except GAWD!"

Speaking from a former-Christian current-pagan perspective, a lot of what they do is magic, even if they deny it.  I'm not just talking about the liturgical churches such as Catholicism (which is more likely to believe in magic than any other denomination, I think) but also the evangelical churches, such as baptists.

And while this technically doesn't fall under "magic use" (though there's some debate about that), they'll certain use prayer like it's magic.

Incidentally, the closer a fundie was to the "Satanic Panic", the more likely they are to believe in magic, though they tend to view all non-Christian magic as being from Satan, so every witch/voodoo/hoodoo/eastern monk/whatever has made a deal with demons to achieve their magic.

Of course, this is speaking from someone familiar with both the concept of magic as applied in paganistic circles, and someone familiar with how fundies use prayer and faith.  Your mileage may vary.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4169 on: January 03, 2014, 04:37:23 pm »
Funny how, during the Satanic Panic, the accusors believed more in magic than the accused. 
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"