Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1673472 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #4440 on: February 14, 2014, 03:22:07 pm »
According to Google, the definition of a pagan is "someone who doesn't follow one of the mainstream religions."  And that heathen is synonymous.  (I know quite a few heathens and pagans that would disagree but that's apparently the official definition)

At Kratos' time, his religion would have been a mainstream religion :P

Well, up until he killed all the gods, anyways.

And apparently paved the way for Christianity while doing so... ???

(Don't look at me, that's what other people are thinking)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4441 on: February 14, 2014, 03:36:47 pm »
I can understand why you would think that.  And you'd probably be right if we were talking about, say, Mussolini or Than Shwe.  However, there's one problem with that theory.  These people were communists, and communism is, by nature, opposed to religion.  Marx himself called religion "the opiate of the masses".

And even if the persecution of religion was just a cynical ploy to hold on to their power, that doesn't change the fact that millions bought into it.  If it turned out that Osama bin Laden had been a hypocrite the whole time, it wouldn't have made his followers any less fanatical.

Am I saying Atheism is inherently evil?  Of course not.  What I'm saying is that Atheism cannot claim any inherent moral superiority, any more than Christianity or Islam.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #4442 on: February 14, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »
If the cartoon had depicted an Islamic dictator, and not an individual fanatic terrorist, a Christian dictator, and not an individual fanatic terrorist, you could then correctly cite an atheist dictator in your argument, UP.

However, that is not what the cartoon depicted. It showed three individuals of three different belief/nonbelief sets, not three government dictators. The only possible example I can think of for atheist terrorists would maybe be an "anarchist" bomber of the early twentieth. However, I don't know if there is any reliable info as to whether all of those "anarchists" Were actually anarchists (it was a buzzword label for any terrorist back then), and certainly don't know if any of them identified as atheists...
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #4443 on: February 14, 2014, 04:33:23 pm »
Am I saying Atheism is inherently evil?  Of course not.  What I'm saying is that Atheism cannot claim any inherent moral superiority, any more than Christianity or Islam.

Do most atheists claim that they're morally superior to theists?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4444 on: February 14, 2014, 04:38:31 pm »

Do most atheists claim that they're morally superior to theists?
Most don't.  I was just speaking of the vocal minority.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4445 on: February 14, 2014, 05:28:54 pm »

You're right, in that atheism cannot claim any moral superiority because it is simply the lack of belief in god, so there isn't a set of morals attached to atheism by default. But a ton of atheists, agnostics, humanists certainly CAN claim moral superiority to a group that believes that if you cross their vengeful god you will be sent to hell to be tortured forever.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:33:48 pm by Dakota Bob »

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #4446 on: February 14, 2014, 05:31:58 pm »
Do you know what he meant by "opiates of the masses?"
Here's the actual quote.

"Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions."
Karl Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

A criticism of religion? Yeah, but what he was basically saying is that due to economic woes the masses being the down trodden, the poor and the unwealthy, turn to religion for solace. He's not necessarily saying down with religion, but saying that it shouldn't be a crutch for people to lean on during tough times. Marx, of course wanted everyone to be equal, if everyone wasn't suffering they wouldn't rely on just their religion to get out of it and maybe actually, do something.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4447 on: February 14, 2014, 05:53:26 pm »

You're right, in that atheism cannot claim any moral superiority because it is simply the lack of belief in god, so there isn't a set of morals attached to atheism by default. But a ton of atheists, agnostics, humanists certainly CAN claim moral superiority to a group that believes that if you cross their vengeful god you will be sent to hell to be tortured forever.
That's certainly true.  On the other hand, there are a number of religious people who can claim moral superiority over atheists.  Giuseppe Garibaldi can certainly claim moral superiority over Tomas de Torquemada, but on the other hand, Pope Francis can claim moral superiority over Leon Trotsky.

Do you know what he meant by "opiates of the masses?"
Here's the actual quote.

"Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions."
Karl Marx, Critique of Hegel’s Philosophy of Right

A criticism of religion? Yeah, but what he was basically saying is that due to economic woes the masses being the down trodden, the poor and the unwealthy, turn to religion for solace. He's not necessarily saying down with religion, but saying that it shouldn't be a crutch for people to lean on during tough times. Marx, of course wanted everyone to be equal, if everyone wasn't suffering they wouldn't rely on just their religion to get out of it and maybe actually, do something.

I didn't know the context.  You learn something new every day.  However, that doesn't change the fact that communism has frequently been opposed to religion.  Look at the Soviet repression of the Russian Orthodox Church, or Hoxa expelling religious leaders, or Pol Pot sending the religious to die in the killing fields.

By the way, there have been a number of atheist terrorist groups.  Most of them were anarchist or communist, and they mostly existed in the Americas and Eurasia.  While it's true that promoting atheism was not their primary agenda, they did commonly target religion.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:59:18 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4448 on: February 14, 2014, 06:02:03 pm »
I can understand why you would think that.  And you'd probably be right if we were talking about, say, Mussolini or Than Shwe.  However, there's one problem with that theory.  These people were communists, and communism is, by nature, opposed to religion.  Marx himself called religion "the opiate of the masses".

...and? They still weren't doing it for atheism. The point of the cartoon is that atheism by itself doesn't inspire people to murder; pointing out how communism can inspire people to murder is missing the point.

Also, religious communists exist, and opposition to religion is not exactly synonymous with atheism, but that's just nitpicking.
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4449 on: February 14, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »
...I don't know if that's an example of "No True Scotsman", but it's damn close.  You're missing my point.  While they were partially motivated by power, it would be dishonest to say that was the sole motivator.  If it was, I think they'd have been more likely to pack those institutions with their supporters, rather than try to dismantle them altogether.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4450 on: February 14, 2014, 06:55:23 pm »
You're missing my point.  While they were partially motivated by power, it would be dishonest to say that was the sole motivator.  If it was, I think they'd have been more likely to pack those institutions with their supporters, rather than try to dismantle them altogether.

Do you claim that they were motivated by atheism or nonreligiousness?
Σא

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4451 on: February 14, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »
In part, yes, in the same way that Ivan the Terrible was partly motivated by Christianity (more specifically, Russian Orthodoxy), or Talaat Pasha was partly motivated by Sunni Islam.

By the way, I found an example of somebody who indisputably hated religion.  His name was Tomás Garrido Canabal, and he was a prominent figure in the Mexican Revolution.  Look him up.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4452 on: February 14, 2014, 08:38:01 pm »
Also stop praising Pope Francis he's not a good person.  Ask Sigma

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4453 on: February 14, 2014, 08:38:44 pm »
Also stop praising Pope Francis he's not a good person.  Ask Sigma
What makes you say that?

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4454 on: February 14, 2014, 10:19:17 pm »
...Incidentally, I'm wondering what a militant pagan would look like.

The emperor Julian was a militant Pagan