Author Topic: Worst Political Cartoons  (Read 1673154 times)

Offline Dr. Weird

• Bishop
  • Gentlemen, Behold--Corn!!!
Re: Worst Political Cartoons
« Reply #6030 on: November 02, 2015, 03:32:03 pm »
Fundie Doublethink:
* The Bible is the inerrant, literal word of God when it talks about the Earth being created in six days and homosexuality being an abomination. The Bible is a flawed work interpreted by errant humans when it talks about loving your neighbor, turning the other cheek, and the evils of greed.
*  All life is sacred and precious from the moment of conception until the moment of birth.
* You're not a sexist.  You just think women are nothing but baby machines and servants.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #6031 on: November 02, 2015, 04:16:37 pm »
I still can't open any of Ultimate Paragons links. What is that "Archive" thingy supposed to be?

Archive.is is an archival site, used to save a snapshot of a page, preserving it against editing and deleting. It also allows you to link to a site without actually giving it traffic.

They have some unspecified conflict with the Finnish government, which is why they block IPs from Finland.
Σא

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #6032 on: November 02, 2015, 06:40:35 pm »
Quote from: UP

"safe spaces"

like how much of a shitty cartoon villain do you have to be to be against the concept of safe spaces

The problem is that these days, "safe space" is synonymous with an echo chamber where nobody is allowed to voice a dissenting opinion, especially if it contradicts a woman or a minority.

Yeah, how dare people not want to dignify racism, misogyny and other dehumanizing with a platform.

There are two major things wrong with that:

1.  Their definition of "bigotry" is absurdly broad.

2.  Trying to "no platform" hate speech just makes it seem like the bigots have a point.

So can you explain why these people can't have safe places? Who you choose to invite into your home and what you choose to talk about are your business and not anyone else. Unless they are insisting the world at large play by their rules I fail to see why you can't just let them sit in their little corner of the sandbox and ignore them while you're building your sandcastle.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #6033 on: November 02, 2015, 08:16:08 pm »
Quote from: UP

"safe spaces"

like how much of a shitty cartoon villain do you have to be to be against the concept of safe spaces

The problem is that these days, "safe space" is synonymous with an echo chamber where nobody is allowed to voice a dissenting opinion, especially if it contradicts a woman or a minority.

Yeah, how dare people not want to dignify racism, misogyny and other dehumanizing with a platform.

There are two major things wrong with that:

1.  Their definition of "bigotry" is absurdly broad.

2.  Trying to "no platform" hate speech just makes it seem like the bigots have a point.

So can you explain why these people can't have safe places? Who you choose to invite into your home and what you choose to talk about are your business and not anyone else. Unless they are insisting the world at large play by their rules I fail to see why you can't just let them sit in their little corner of the sandbox and ignore them while you're building your sandcastle.

Because of the fact that this sort of crap is popping up at COLLEGES.  Places where people need to be exposed to other opinions and be able to defend their positions.  Instead, it's 'this makes me uncomfortable, ergo, you can't discuss this ever.  And it ranges from abortion... to such lovely idiocy like YEC.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Murdin

• Bishop
« Reply #6034 on: November 02, 2015, 09:27:04 pm »
The "egomaniacal narcissist" bit I get, but "neoreactionary misogynist" just seems like ad hominem.

... how is an insulting (though accurate) description of Yiannopoulos' character LESS of an ad hominem argument than an accurate (though arguably insulting) description of his gender politics?

*Totally respectful, not-disparaging-at-all "Citation needed" image macro*

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/15/heres-why-there-ought-to-be-a-cap-on-women-studying-science-and-maths/
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/02/sorry-girls-but-the-smartest-people-in-the-world-are-all-men/ (FSTDT-approved!)

And because the man is a gift that keeps giving:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/16/sexbots-why-women-should-panic/
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/26/does-feminism-make-women-ugly/

UP, I've called you out several times already on your complete lack of self-awareness. Since there's no point in trying to appeal to your nonexistent self-reflective capabilities, I guess I'll have to step out of my comfort zones and be more... specific in my criticism.

You have repeatedly argued that some people, namely those that are politically on your left, should be more mindful about the bad apples on their side. That they should always stand ready to denounce, loudly and publicly, any group or individual that display reverse bigotry, "anti-free-speech" tendencies, or anything that you would call "extremism" or "fanaticism"... no matter how insignificant the person or insular the group, and how petty, exaggerated or just plain silly your actual grievance.

Meanwhile, you have repeatedly chosen to endorse some absolutely terrible people because they happened to share some of your pet peeves. Some are anonymous Internet users, but you certainly seem to have a thing for drama-whoring "public figures" like Yiannopoulos or Hoff Summers. You aren't just failing to condemn them for their bile-spewing bullshit while putting up with them in your crusades against social justice. You actively and specifically promote their vicious points of view in your arguments against "the other side", because all is fair when trying to make people realize how evil and dangerous the enemy is.

This isn't a standard failure to live up to one's own standards. You are living proof that the Dunning-Kruger effect can be applied to moral judgements, and that a certain Jewish preacher actually had a point when he was speaking about motes and beams in people's eyes.

If this sounds condescending and disrespectful, that's because it is. Again, I wish I didn't have to state it outright.

Citation needed, because that is a wide-reaching, unsubstantiated claim that cannot be confirmed or refuted after a quick Google search.

To be quite honest, I strongly doubt that you actually want every kind of hate speech to receive a public platform, only those specific patterns that your tribe is commonly associated with and accused of. Sure, you do not want to outright criminalize the brands of hate speech that offend you. You just want those to be marginalized out of the public discourse.

Here's a thought: maybe, just maybe, some most of the people you routinely accuse of advocating censorship against opinions they don't like, are in fact "merely" trying to push for these opinions to be marginalized. Which could lead you to wonder about the nature, origins, present connotations and general meaningfulness of the term "political correctness"... but probably won't.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6035 on: November 02, 2015, 09:29:23 pm »
Love you Murdin.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #6036 on: November 02, 2015, 09:39:25 pm »
Wow Murdin, next time do you think you could lube up before fucking UP quite so hard.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6037 on: November 02, 2015, 09:58:19 pm »
(click to show/hide)

someone's gonna find it necessary. i leave it up to whomever needs it most.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6038 on: November 02, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »
The "egomaniacal narcissist" bit I get, but "neoreactionary misogynist" just seems like ad hominem.

... how is an insulting (though accurate) description of Yiannopoulos' character LESS of an ad hominem argument than an accurate (though arguably insulting) description of his gender politics?

How accurate are they?  Let's see.  You may not like the answer.

*Totally respectful, not-disparaging-at-all "Citation needed" image macro*

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/15/heres-why-there-ought-to-be-a-cap-on-women-studying-science-and-maths/
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/02/sorry-girls-but-the-smartest-people-in-the-world-are-all-men/ (FSTDT-approved!)

While I disagree with the idea of a cap on women in STEM, the rest of the article is completely valid.

As for the second, it did rub me the wrong way, but at least it's based on actual facts.  Sure, maybe the data is flawed, and maybe there are other factors to consider, but there's a big difference between it and the "feels trump reals" bullshit we see from the politically correct crowd.

And because the man is a gift that keeps giving:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/16/sexbots-why-women-should-panic/
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/26/does-feminism-make-women-ugly/

Both very obviously tongue-in-cheek.  But I don't blame you, people thought Jonathan Swift was serious too when he suggested eating Irish babies.

UP, I've called you out several times already on your complete lack of self-awareness. Since there's no point in trying to appeal to your nonexistent self-reflective capabilities, I guess I'll have to step out of my comfort zones and be more... specific in my criticism.

You have repeatedly argued that some people, namely those that are politically on your left, should be more mindful about the bad apples on their side. That they should always stand ready to denounce, loudly and publicly, any group or individual that display reverse bigotry, "anti-free-speech" tendencies, or anything that you would call "extremism" or "fanaticism"... no matter how insignificant the person or insular the group, and how petty, exaggerated or just plain silly your actual grievance.

You have something of a point.  Maybe I am overreacting.  But considering how much influence these people have, and the media silence about their more questionable traits and activities, can you blame me?  Let me ask you: where are the media outlets covering the bullying of Paige Paz?  Why isn't she addressing the UN?

Meanwhile, you have repeatedly chosen to endorse some absolutely terrible people because they happened to share some of your pet peeves.

I don't "endorse" them.  It's a marriage of convenience.

Some are anonymous Internet users, but you certainly seem to have a thing for drama-whoring "public figures" like Yiannopoulos

You call it "drama-whoring", I call it "muckraking."

or Hoff Summers.

It's "Sommers."  If you're going to blatantly insult one of the leading Feminists in America, at least have the common decency to spell her name right.

And I can see where you're coming from with Milo, but what's your problem with Christina?

You aren't just failing to condemn them for their bile-spewing bullshit while putting up with them in your crusades against social justice. You actively and specifically promote their vicious points of view in your arguments against "the other side", because all is fair when trying to make people realize how evil and dangerous the enemy is.

No, I haven't.  Or if I have, it's nowhere near as often as you seem to be implying.

This isn't a standard failure to live up to one's own standards. You are living proof that the Dunning-Kruger effect can be applied to moral judgements, and that a certain Jewish preacher actually had a point when he was speaking about motes and beams in people's eyes.

Oh, I'm well aware of my own moral failings.  The question is: are you?

If this sounds condescending and disrespectful, that's because it is. Again, I wish I didn't have to state it outright.

And I wish you had the ability to step out of your little box and look at things from an unbiased perspective.  But here we are.

Citation needed, because that is a wide-reaching, unsubstantiated claim that cannot be confirmed or refuted after a quick Google search.

Let me give you a history lesson.  The Weimar Republic had hate speech laws, very strong ones.  Members of the Nazi Party, including Joseph Goebbels himself, were repeatedly tried and convicted for anti-Semitic language.  This did not hurt them.  To the contrary, it helped them, because it threw more fuel onto the "teh Ebol Joos" bonfire, with tragic consequences for Europe and Jewry.

To be quite honest, I strongly doubt that you actually want every kind of hate speech to receive a public platform, only those specific patterns that your tribe is commonly associated with and accused of.

Now you're putting me in a "tribe"?  Thanks for so clearly demonstrating your mental processes.  According to you, any alliance is inherently close-knit and friendly.  Let me ask you: have you ever seen a coalition government in action?

Sure, you do not want to outright criminalize the brands of hate speech that offend you. You just want those to be marginalized out of the public discourse.

Au contraire, I don't want it marginalized.  I want them to be able to spew their bile to their hearts' content, so that people can see for themselves how hateful they are.  Maybe if we're really lucky, the opposing bigots will waste all their time fighting each other, and everybody else can get on with their lives.

Here's a thought: maybe, just maybe, some most of the people you routinely accuse of advocating censorship against opinions they don't like, are in fact "merely" trying to push for these opinions to be marginalized. Which could lead you to wonder about the nature, origins, present connotations and general meaningfulness of the term "political correctness"... but probably won't.

Oh, I know full well about it.  The idiotic "Cultural Marxism" strawman wannabe activists are pushing is utterly absurd, but it has at least some grain of truth.  No, political correctness isn't some elaborate conspiracy to destroy the white race/masculinity/Western Civilization.  However, it does cause genuine harm.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 10:45:45 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #6039 on: November 02, 2015, 10:34:57 pm »
Yeah, this is about what I expected.  Popcorn, anyone? beer? Game of Hearthstone?
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6040 on: November 02, 2015, 10:36:08 pm »
Meanwhile, you have repeatedly chosen to endorse some absolutely terrible people because they happened to share some of your pet peeves.

It's nice to see all the bigots team up for one cause (one "gate", if you will) so they can die on one hill.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6041 on: November 02, 2015, 10:43:17 pm »

It's nice to see all the bigots team up for one cause (one "gate", if you will) so they can die on one hill.

That's rich coming from somebody who deliberately misgendered a transwoman.  And yes, I'm going to bring that up every time you try to call somebody else a bigot on shaky grounds.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
« Reply #6042 on: November 02, 2015, 11:12:41 pm »
SHUT.  UP.  You FUCKING children!

You dipshits just need to have a fucking slapfight.  Or maybe you just need to fucking kill each other.  I'm tired as fucking hell of your motherfucking BITCHING destroying thread after thread after thread!

Grow the fuck up!

... Y'know what? fuck it.  I'm done here.  I'm gonna take a break from the forums.  I may or may not be back.  Congratulations, pat yourselves on the back, you jackasses.

Formerly Priestling

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6043 on: November 02, 2015, 11:19:53 pm »
I'm with Cerim, this shit's getting old.  JUST FUCK, ALREADY.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #6044 on: November 02, 2015, 11:22:03 pm »
Yeah, this is about what I expected.  Popcorn, anyone? beer? Game of Hearthstone?

One of each, and could we follow with a match of M:TG? Its my preferred card game, though Hearthstone will do in a pinch.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".