Author Topic: Fundie-Feminist gamer gets death threats  (Read 27788 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Fundie-Feminist gamer gets death threats
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2012, 07:32:39 am »
Well, this is starting out interesting.  I do agree that male characters in games for adults tend to come in too few varieties:  Space Marine, Soldier, Gangster, Pick one.

On the other hand, I'm not too thrilled by the use of text-as-video during so much of the video.   Hopefully future installments in the series will save that sort of thing for statistics and other applications that make sense.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2012, 07:35:36 am »
That same argument can be made for women, to be fair. Support Role, Barely Clothed Damsel in Distress, Hooker, Run From Everything Girl.

If you're lucky males and females can have the same profession but still have different stats.

It's fun.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2012, 07:41:23 am »
That same argument can be made for women, to be fair. Support Role, Barely Clothed Damsel in Distress, Hooker, Run From Everything Girl.

If you're lucky males and females can have the same profession but still have different stats.

It's fun.
In other words, characters of either gender are often one dimensional cookie-cutter stereotypes.

Offline ThunderWulf

• Strange, even crazy, but never dull
  • The Beast
  • By Odin's beard!
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2012, 08:46:41 am »

It's fun.
In other words, characters of either gender are often one dimensional cookie-cutter stereotypes.

Which is pretty much the mainstream gaming industry in general right now I'm afraid.
a.k.a. TGRwulf
"hehehehe. you said member." ~ Shepard/Booker
"it's kind of like my right left hand on a sunday every night. How so? It beats the fuck out of me!" ~ Saturn500
"Drinking, fighting, fucking...they basically outlawed 99% of the lifestyle of your typical Irishman.  Much less your typical Viking." ~ RavynousHunter

Distind

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2012, 09:22:54 am »
Yes, but when you do it to women, it's insulting. When you stereotype men into a bald psychotic mass murder, it's fine. Empowering even... apparently.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:32 am »
Yes, but when you do it to women, it's insulting. When you stereotype men into a bald psychotic mass murder, it's fine. Empowering even... apparently.

Men being badasses is a male power fantasy. It appeals to men. That's also why men are ridiculously muscled in comics. It sucks that men are portrayed that way, but it isn't in any way equal to the way women are portrayed.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2012, 10:43:50 am »

Men being badasses is a male power fantasy. It appeals to men. That's also why men are ridiculously muscled in comics. It sucks that men are portrayed that way, but it isn't in any way equal to the way women are portrayed.

Just because the male stereotypes are intended to appeal to men doesn't mean they shouldn't be addressed along with female stereotypes.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2012, 01:39:59 pm »

It's fun.

There are exceptions to those roles.  Suikoden series, for example.  Ronnie Bell, Oulan, Lorelei, Milia (and her daughter, Sharon), Sonya Shulen, Tengaar... and that's just a selection from the first two games out of five (with Sharon being in the third).
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »

Just because the male stereotypes are intended to appeal to men doesn't mean they shouldn't be addressed along with female stereotypes.

I didn't say that they shouldn't be addressed, just that the effect is rather different.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:48 am »

It's fun.

There are exceptions to those roles.  Suikoden series, for example.  Ronnie Bell, Oulan, Lorelei, Milia (and her daughter, Sharon), Sonya Shulen, Tengaar... and that's just a selection from the first two games out of five (with Sharon being in the third).

Once again these are arguments that can be flipped to the other sex. Which is what I was trying to point out.

We're speaking generalities here, people.

The whole of gaming is full of stereotypes and generalization. Pointing out games where it's outside of the norm doesn't help much.

Also, I agree with Smurfette.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:07:55 am by Commander Shepard »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2012, 09:21:54 am »
Well, this is starting out interesting.  I do agree that male characters in games for adults tend to come in too few varieties:  Space Marine, Soldier, Gangster, Pick one.

Both are sets of stereotypes, one set of stereotypes has a higher survivability factor during a zombie apocalypse!

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:45 am »

Both are sets of stereotypes, one set of stereotypes has a higher survivability factor during a zombie apocalypse!

Exactly!  Why are the sexes stereotypes so damn much?

(Also, thought of another awesome exception:  Alex Roivas from Eternal Darkness.  In fact, pretty much ALL of Eternal Darkness.  But it didn't sell well, so meh.)
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2012, 07:07:02 pm »
If this video is to be believed, Anita spammed her project on 4chan and other trolling websites to create negative feedback.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExCdOImmVA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OExCdOImmVA</a>
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2012, 07:19:53 pm »
If this video is to be believed,

Which it most certainly is not.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2012, 09:05:52 pm »
Why would I believe that video?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet