Author Topic: 2016 Republican Presidential Primaries  (Read 63959 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: 2016 Republican Presidential Primaries
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2016, 08:19:11 pm »
What Trump says resonates with people who vote in Republican contests. He's thrown out the dog whistle and they love it.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2016, 08:34:29 pm »
What is this?

This is the way the world ends.  Not with a bang but the incoherent ravings of a terrible comb over.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2016, 08:35:25 pm »
What Trump says resonates with people who vote in Republican contests. He's thrown out the dog whistle and they love it.

Like, I get how it works from a demographics perspective and who those people are, I grew up around them. What I don't get is how people can be this dumb, and how we as a collective species could allow such stupidity to persist to this point?

Since that sounds strangely eugenicist, I meant how we could allow the stupidity that is Trump to last to this point in the campaign. Like, this reflects on us as a supposedly rational species that we're witnessing this.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:49 pm »

Like, I get how it works from a demographics perspective and who those people are, I grew up around them. What I don't get is how people can be this dumb, and how we as a collective species could allow such stupidity to persist to this point?

Since that sounds strangely eugenicist, I meant how we could allow the stupidity that is Trump to last to this point in the campaign. Like, this reflects on us as a supposedly rational species that we're witnessing this.

They're not necessarily dumb. They're fed up with mainstream politicians (Rubio, Bush, Kasich, sort of Cruz) and Trump has more name recognition than Carson. Since Trump is the only contending candidate who is from outside the mainstream, they're gravitating toward him.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2016, 08:47:24 pm »

They're not necessarily dumb. They're fed up with mainstream politicians (Rubio, Bush, Kasich, sort of Cruz) and Trump has more name recognition than Carson. Since Trump is the only contending candidate who is from outside the mainstream, they're gravitating toward him.

Okay, so let me rephrase this, if they're not dumb, would you describe any Trump supporter as smart?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2016, 08:51:10 pm »

Okay, so let me rephrase this, if they're not dumb, would you describe any Trump supporter as smart?

I know Trump supporters I consider rational.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:02 pm »

I know Trump supporters I consider rational.

Well, yeah, I could've phrased it better, but that is half of what I meant, that we as a rational species have had a disconnect somewhere in that a sizable portion of our society supports Trump.

ETA: And Cruz just won Texas. I think he gets all the delegates if he wins more then 50%, otherwise they all split pro rata. But, I'm not sure on that. Whatever the case, he also won Oklahoma. So, he's back in it. Kind of.

And Trump won Virginia.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:08:20 pm by The_Queen »

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2016, 09:07:53 pm »

I'm thinking desperate might be the operative word for the 'not dumb' supporters.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2016, 09:15:24 pm »
I look at The Green Papers for things like delegate allocation rules:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/events.phtml?s=c&f=m

Texas is winner-take-all for the at-large delegates if the candidate gets 50% of the vote, and the same in each district. Otherwise things get a bit more complicated.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »
Cruz wins Oklahoma? I'm not even American and I'm getting fucking scared for you guys.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2016, 09:30:17 pm »
Cruz wins Oklahoma? I'm not even American and I'm getting fucking scared for you guys.

These are scary times indeed, my friend.

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2016, 09:31:09 pm »

I'm thinking desperate might be the operative word for the 'not dumb' supporters.

Exactly, Trump supporters are poor whites with increasingly shitty economic prospects and loosing privileges in society they always took for granted.  The GOP establishment has done nothing for them and the democrats are little better.  And in their desperation they turned to a man they did not fully understand.  A man who isn't looking for anything logically, who can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.  He just wants to watch the world burn.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:13 pm »

Exactly, Trump supporters are poor whites with increasingly shitty economic prospects and loosing privileges in society they always took for granted.  The GOP establishment has done nothing for them and the democrats are little better.  And in their desperation they turned to a man they did not fully understand.  A man who isn't looking for anything logically, who can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.  He just wants to watch the world burn.

Wow, I wouldn't go so far as to compare him to Ted Cruz

:p

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2016, 09:37:32 pm »
Cruz wants to watch the world burn if that's what it takes to get all the icky gays, uppity feminists and godless non Christians.

Trump wants to watch the world burn to see if the fire will spell his name in giant capital letters.

Seriously though this article on Vox is a fascinating look at what causes people to support Trump

http://www.vox.com/2016/3/1/11127424/trump-authoritarianism

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2016, 09:46:54 pm »
Georgia for Trump...

I'm looking at you Proggy

Not him or me. I was unable to vote, and I'd have been in the other primary anyway.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".