Author Topic: The great Finnish crusaders bravely defended marriage  (Read 3365 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: The great Finnish crusaders bravely defended marriage
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2013, 05:36:52 am »
Less than half of the parliament signed on to the bill which was a big reason why it was delayed in the committee - at least this was the official reason; the bill wouldn't probably have passed even if the committee had approved of it. This means that even if the initiative for the equal marriage succeeds in getting the required signatures to force the committee to bring a marriage equality bill to the general vote that bill won't pass the vote either. The main reason I want the bill to be voted on is that this would force most of the parliamentary members to openly take a stance on the issue and not only the comittee members.

It's worth mentioning that two of the three The Finns (formerly True Finns) party members in the committee had supported marriage equality in a questionnaire before the election but voted against it in the committee. I guess the party discipline kicked in on the issue. Also, the conservative National Coalition Party officially supports advancing marriage equality but only one of the four NCP committee members voted for the bill. It seems to me that the NCP is trying to balance on the fence on this issue and not to anger the social conservatives which could put their position as the largest party to a risk.

Re: WWII

I'm not sure how seriously the military and political elite took the Greater Finland ideology. It's undeniable that it existed in the nationalist circles and was probably strengthened by the alliance with Germany. On the other hand, the Finnish army stopped advancing fairly soon after crossing the old border and as far as I know and remember the army didn't make any serious push to cut the vital Murmansk railroad or to support the siege of Leningrad by the Germans. A big reason probably was that after crossing the old border the Soviet army started resisting the advance more and the Finnish troops mostly didn't support the ideology which affected the morale on the grassroots level. To me this tells that the members of the elite who supported the ideology weren't as fanatical as such a wild dream might suggest and adjusted their goals according to the realistic situation.

When it comes to the treatment of the Jews there is only one blemish in the way the Finnish government acted but it needs to be brought up. While there were no Jews of Finnish nationality sent to Germany despite requests by the Nazis there was a small group of refugees who were quietly deported back there. Less than a dozen people is not much in the scale of the whole Holocaust but it's no excuse to forget and bury the incident.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Re: The great Finnish crusaders bravely defended marriage
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 05:52:51 pm »
Just a small update about the petition for gay marriage: it was launched today (tuesday) and has already got more than twice the number of signatures needed to force the parliament to consider the bill. The stress to the petition website kansalaisaloite.fi caused it to temporarily crash at some point.