Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514588 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3015 on: August 01, 2013, 07:30:03 am »
The "get out of first place" method always fails for me in Mario Kart Wii. Once someone throws a blue shell, it seems to lock on to whoever's in first, regardless of whether they drop out of first in an attempt to avoid it.
I think it's more to hopefully catch whoever is in second and maybe third in the shell's blast radius. It's why I'd do that in Mario Kart DS.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #3016 on: August 01, 2013, 08:42:38 am »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3017 on: August 01, 2013, 10:05:36 am »
....HOW!?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #3018 on: August 01, 2013, 10:16:21 am »
Papers, Please is due out in six days, apparently. I don't like that the full version is censored, but I'll probably still end up picking it up.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3019 on: August 01, 2013, 10:24:03 am »
Downloaded the original rome total war for some nostalgia, i forgot how unco it was to move the soldiers around, much less watching them fight up close
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #3020 on: August 01, 2013, 10:33:10 am »
It's probably more like 10 but y'know. It feels like 20. With 100+ hours each time. Wow. I need to get laid.
It's okay, I know that feeling.

I may or may not have started another playthru... This time I'm gonna do a roleplay. Shane is Pro-Cerberus this time. Let's see what happens since the game doesn't really let you be as such.

I just spent the last month playing through all 3 games, logging about 40 for the first one, 30 for the second, and 28 for the third. But I think I've ruined myself for games now because I'm trying to play Dead Space and Alan Wake and I just can't get into it. After spending 3 hours on each to make them work right (key-remapping for DS and fixing b/w glitch for AW) I honestly....can't get immersed. Alan Wake I keep feeling like I'm missing huge swaths of the game (and I'm annoyed by the driver ((downgrade?)) I had to do to make it work)..and honestly, for Dead Space, after 3 games of awesome characters, I....I just don't care whether the main cast lives or dies. So they're on some Japanese space station with alien-zombie-demons. MMkay, but the protagonist is silent, the black guy is passable, and the chick is loud and bitchy and obnoxious. Maybe it gets better after chapter 3...but right now I'd rather see he bitchy chick get sword-arm-violated by the space-pirate-alien-zombie-demon-reptilian-humanoid-eldritch-abominations.

I got a bit more immersion in Saints Row 3 but I'm still having trouble beyond stealing a jet and flying into the skybox so I can sky-dive. So..now I'm trying Psychonauts which I know I'll enjoy...trouble is it's pacing is feeling slow.

So yeah...tl;dr, "How Mass Effect ruined video games for me.....at least until Watch Dogs comes out"
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3021 on: August 01, 2013, 04:11:07 pm »
The "get out of first place" method always fails for me in Mario Kart Wii. Once someone throws a blue shell, it seems to lock on to whoever's in first, regardless of whether they drop out of first in an attempt to avoid it.
That's exactly why I never play Mario Kart Wii. Well, that and bikes. Fuckin' bikes, man.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3022 on: August 01, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »
That's exactly why I never play Mario Kart Wii. Well, that and bikes. Fuckin' bikes, man.
And its hacked to hell online :( Thankfully they can patch 3DS games...

Recently finished Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty. Which was a fun piece of DLC.

Also on the recent finished pile Ratchet and Clank 1 and 2. 1 was... i dont know. It wasnt poor, but you could see how it was the first of the series. Very different, and Ratchet was, to be blunt, an asshole. 2 was a lot better, though the flying sections sucked. Still havent got the Platinum bolts on those.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #3023 on: August 01, 2013, 06:12:49 pm »
Have you tried any pony mods Ian?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3024 on: August 01, 2013, 06:28:21 pm »
Have you tried any pony mods Ian?

Who needs pony mods when you have the real thing thanks to Minecraft 1.6.  Though, they inevitably grow up into big, ugly HORSES that are actually useful, even if only marginally so and are suicidally stupid.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3025 on: August 01, 2013, 06:48:29 pm »
It's probably more like 10 but y'know. It feels like 20. With 100+ hours each time. Wow. I need to get laid.
It's okay, I know that feeling.

I may or may not have started another playthru... This time I'm gonna do a roleplay. Shane is Pro-Cerberus this time. Let's see what happens since the game doesn't really let you be as such.

I just spent the last month playing through all 3 games, logging about 40 for the first one, 30 for the second, and 28 for the third. But I think I've ruined myself for games now because I'm trying to play Dead Space and Alan Wake and I just can't get into it. After spending 3 hours on each to make them work right (key-remapping for DS and fixing b/w glitch for AW) I honestly....can't get immersed. Alan Wake I keep feeling like I'm missing huge swaths of the game (and I'm annoyed by the driver ((downgrade?)) I had to do to make it work)..and honestly, for Dead Space, after 3 games of awesome characters, I....I just don't care whether the main cast lives or dies. So they're on some Japanese space station with alien-zombie-demons. MMkay, but the protagonist is silent, the black guy is passable, and the chick is loud and bitchy and obnoxious. Maybe it gets better after chapter 3...but right now I'd rather see he bitchy chick get sword-arm-violated by the space-pirate-alien-zombie-demon-reptilian-humanoid-eldritch-abominations.

I got a bit more immersion in Saints Row 3 but I'm still having trouble beyond stealing a jet and flying into the skybox so I can sky-dive. So..now I'm trying Psychonauts which I know I'll enjoy...trouble is it's pacing is feeling slow.

So yeah...tl;dr, "How Mass Effect ruined video games for me.....at least until Watch Dogs comes out"

I'd love to know how you only put in 28 hours in mass effect 3. Seems like someone isn't exploring and doing all the side quests. Dunno how you can get a full experience if you just rush thru the campaign.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3026 on: August 01, 2013, 08:25:29 pm »
So I saw the trailer for this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIJHM3a7JE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VIJHM3a7JE</a> and all I have to say is I want this now!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3027 on: August 01, 2013, 09:13:45 pm »
I'd love to know how you only put in 28 hours in mass effect 3. Seems like someone isn't exploring and doing all the side quests. Dunno how you can get a full experience if you just rush thru the campaign.

This kind of thing is exactly why I'm not even close to finishing the main quest for Skyrim: there's just so much optional shit that I get distracted for days. At least I completed the main quest on Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so I can focus my time on the innumerable sidequests and the rest of the Fallout 3 DLC (I still need to finish Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel). Oh, and all the mod quests I downloaded.

Also, I joined Playstation Plus so I've got some new games! So far I've been playing Saints Row The Third. I still stand by my previous assessment: fun, but sometimes just too over the top and exaggerated. The "gimp rickshaw chase" was silly and not even very fun for the minute or so that it occurred. The fact that such a bizarre scene really only lasted a minute or two is kind of indicative of the feel of this game: throwing every idea they have against the wall without caring what sticks.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #3028 on: August 01, 2013, 10:26:13 pm »
Yatzhee said it best in his review of Saints Row 3.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #3029 on: August 02, 2013, 12:06:16 am »
4 I'm cautiously optimistic ofr
Keep in mind I never played 2 so I thought 3 was amazing because you know shit pc port of 2