Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514750 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #3030 on: August 02, 2013, 12:17:11 am »
I beat the first two Saints Row games a while back, around when they first came out.

Saints Row was basically just a GTA clone. It got popular not for being different, but because it was competently made and fun. Saints Row 2 intentionally tried to provide an alternative to GTA IV's switch to darkness and realism by making the first game bigger, sticking with the crude humor and sex puns, and making everything colorful and over-the-top. It was still competently made and attracted people who were turned off by Grand Theft Auto going in a more realistic direction.

Saints Row 3 has the thinking of "Making it over-the-top and random got us money, so let's go even farther!" Hence the random gimp rickshaw chase that literally lasts not even 2 minutes, a homie that's a black pimp dude and BDSM enthusiast that constantly speaks through Autotune, immediate access to rocket launchers and attack helicopters with unlimited rockets and cannon ammo from the beginning of the game, etc. It has no real focus beyond "MAKE IT CRAZY"

Saints Row 4 is just going straight to aliens and superpowers.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #3031 on: August 02, 2013, 12:33:02 am »
You've got to admit it's fun as heck, though.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3032 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:35 am »

Not as much as it could be. It plays well and it's polished, but it feels....empty. It doesn't feel like there's any kind of decent reward system for what you do, since you start out with stuff that most games would spend half the campaign giving to you. It's like if you started New Vegas with combat armor, the All-American, more drugs and food than you knew what to do with, tons of ammo, all map markers revealed, and level 10.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #3033 on: August 02, 2013, 02:48:15 am »
It's probably more like 10 but y'know. It feels like 20. With 100+ hours each time. Wow. I need to get laid.
It's okay, I know that feeling.

I may or may not have started another playthru... This time I'm gonna do a roleplay. Shane is Pro-Cerberus this time. Let's see what happens since the game doesn't really let you be as such.

I just spent the last month playing through all 3 games, logging about 40 for the first one, 30 for the second, and 28 for the third. But I think I've ruined myself for games now because I'm trying to play Dead Space and Alan Wake and I just can't get into it. After spending 3 hours on each to make them work right (key-remapping for DS and fixing b/w glitch for AW) I honestly....can't get immersed. Alan Wake I keep feeling like I'm missing huge swaths of the game (and I'm annoyed by the driver ((downgrade?)) I had to do to make it work)..and honestly, for Dead Space, after 3 games of awesome characters, I....I just don't care whether the main cast lives or dies. So they're on some Japanese space station with alien-zombie-demons. MMkay, but the protagonist is silent, the black guy is passable, and the chick is loud and bitchy and obnoxious. Maybe it gets better after chapter 3...but right now I'd rather see he bitchy chick get sword-arm-violated by the space-pirate-alien-zombie-demon-reptilian-humanoid-eldritch-abominations.

I got a bit more immersion in Saints Row 3 but I'm still having trouble beyond stealing a jet and flying into the skybox so I can sky-dive. So..now I'm trying Psychonauts which I know I'll enjoy...trouble is it's pacing is feeling slow.

So yeah...tl;dr, "How Mass Effect ruined video games for me.....at least until Watch Dogs comes out"

I'd love to know how you only put in 28 hours in mass effect 3. Seems like someone isn't exploring and doing all the side quests. Dunno how you can get a full experience if you just rush thru the campaign.

I had all the War Assets I could find, although I still sob because I missed one of the Eden Prime datapads and
(click to show/hide)
. I'd imported from ME2 and went into the final battle at around lvl 56. I wanted to make sure I did EVERYTHING I could before I went into it.... the game 'did' feel absurdly short in comparison to 1 and 2. I couldn't figure out what I'd missed. I didn't rush haha, I took as much time as I could, I was actually pissed cause you're so rushed on
(click to show/hide)

Much Later Edit: Excuse me, 44 hours on game one, 59 on ME2 and I'm not 100% sure on ME3 cause it's on Origin and I can't figure out how to carry over my playtime alert, but I don't think it was much past 28-35. If it helps I had the Plasma/Particle Rifle for most of the game and it's kinda a gamebreaker. I think in spite of being an Adept I barely ever used any of my biotics unless I was fighting Banshees and then it was to help whittle the fucking things down.

Second Obligatory Joke Required Edit: I actually have 4 screenshots of the Presidium just because the graphics made me squee so hard. Especially from the window of Huerta Memorial. I took one look at them and I was like: THERE IS A GAWWWD!!! All hail Prothy the Prothean! PRAISE HIM! Wait, what? Oh...um.... All hail Reapy the Reaper?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 04:09:07 am by Itachirumon »
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3034 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:35 am »
Only now have I realized that my Boss on Saints Row is voiced by Troy Baker.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3035 on: August 02, 2013, 04:01:01 am »
Only now have I realized that that same person (Kimberly Brooks) voices both Ashley Williams (from ME) and Oracle (from Batman: Arkham Asylum/City).
Which is dumb, because they obviously have the EXACT SAME VOICE.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3036 on: August 02, 2013, 05:11:41 am »
Troy Baker and Nolan North are rapidly becoming like J. LaRose is to me personally: someone I can't avoid, no matter what I do.

J. LaRose is a Hollywood actor from Orlando who does a lot of local work as well. Not only do I see him in a bunch of movies, but I've worked with him twice and he's even shown up on the set of a TV show I was doing that he wasn't even involved in.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #3037 on: August 02, 2013, 12:13:03 pm »
Only now have I realized that that same person (Kimberly Brooks) voices both Ashley Williams (from ME) and Oracle (from Batman: Arkham Asylum/City).
Holy crap. Also, Ashley "Ash" Williams is quite obviously named by the most badass character ever, Bruce Campbell's Ashley "Ash" Williams from Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3038 on: August 02, 2013, 02:15:14 pm »
What astounding discoveries you all have made... /original 2007 Mass Effect player snob

I also have no idea how many hours I've put into the trilogy but I've spent what feels like half my life on it. Certainly has been the three games I've dumped so many hours into, easily beating out the Fallout and Elder Scrolls games. I think Borderlands 2 comes up second.

My pro Cerberus run is doing well. Except for the headache my Shepard keeps giving me for putting her in the Cerberus armor to begin with. Alas... I'm already about 26 hours into it. The save file says 40 but I also had it on pause and it still counts paused time as playtime. I keep forgetting to back out into the main menu. I haven't yet cured the genophage so make of that what you will.

I also started Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #3039 on: August 02, 2013, 02:42:13 pm »

I actually enjoyed 3 more than 2.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #3040 on: August 02, 2013, 05:35:24 pm »
Holy crap. Also, Ashley "Ash" Williams is quite obviously named by the most badass character ever, Bruce Campbell's Ashley "Ash" Williams from Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness.
THAT I knew, even before her "boomstick" line. I'm not that dumb. I like Ashley, but I've yet to do a playthrough in which she doesn't die. The one time she won the coin toss, I had to take her out in ME3 (because people die when you don't talk to them - yay video game logic).
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3041 on: August 02, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »
More actual logic. You have to convince someone you're the good guy, right? way before you have a showdown or else there isn't any trust there that you aren't trying to trick them. Especially true if you killed the council and the councilor was killed by Leng. Cause you can fabricate evidence with an omni-tool.

Ash spent over 2 years and 6 months mourning someone she thought first was dead and then a traitor. I think she's allowed to distrust you when you arrive at the same time Cerberus did.

With that said, this is why you don't rush. It's an RPG, talk to people. Check your private terminal. Check on the people between missions. Otherwise, take the consequences.

I have also learned Kingdom Hearts still manages to make me feel dumb when trying to acclimate to a new fighting system.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #3042 on: August 02, 2013, 09:56:48 pm »

I actually enjoyed 3 more than 2.

That's mainly the one I've played.  Only just got SR2 as a gift, and with my DSL it's going to take a week or two to download.  The Russian woman's voice is amusing as hell, what with her being massively horny for Pierce.

Also busting up gang ops is so much easier with a tank.  Just wish the shark-o-matic held more ammo.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #3043 on: August 02, 2013, 10:06:18 pm »
I mean, it's fun. But it's a shallow, empty kind of fun. It's like turning on Skyrim for no reason other than to use the console to cheat in a bunch of god-tier items, crank your stats up to max, and Fus Ro Dah everything you see. It's cathartic and sometimes funny, but there's nothing beyond quick and cheap satisfaction. You get bored with it after a short time and move on to something more engaging.

That said, I'm sorta excited for Saints Row IV. Mainly because it looks like the alien invasion plotline has given it some well-needed coherence and focus.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #3044 on: August 02, 2013, 11:39:10 pm »
I'm loving this "Games with Gold" program, where XBL Gold users get free games. It's even better, because my Gold is glitched. I'm on the second year of it being free for some reason.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.