Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514705 times)

Offline Commissar Kaz

• Tzeentchian Cultist
  • Bishop
  • Just as planned!
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4335 on: April 04, 2014, 05:04:43 pm »
So, they're releasing the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure game in the US this month. Yay! But it's only for PS3, which I don't own.  :(

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4336 on: April 05, 2014, 01:04:50 pm »
Okay, so you'll never guess what was added to the Games for Gold (for those that don't know, its free games for those with a Gold [paid] subscription to Xbox LIVE) selection recently.  Hitman: Absolution.  I downloaded that shit a few days ago, and I have to say that I'm an official fan of Hitman and 47.  That man puts Sam Fisher to shame, and is the closest thing in the awesome department another stealth-based game has gotten to Garrett.  Yes, I'm actually saying that 47 is almost as awesome as Garrett.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4337 on: April 05, 2014, 02:31:07 pm »
Okay, so you'll never guess what was added to the Games for Gold (for those that don't know, its free games for those with a Gold [paid] subscription to Xbox LIVE) selection recently.  Hitman: Absolution.  I downloaded that shit a few days ago, and I have to say that I'm an official fan of Hitman and 47.  That man puts Sam Fisher to shame, and is the closest thing in the awesome department another stealth-based game has gotten to Garrett.  Yes, I'm actually saying that 47 is almost as awesome as Garrett.

If you enjoyed Absolution I would suggest Hitman: Blood Money as it tends to be considered the best game in the series.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #4338 on: April 05, 2014, 02:38:37 pm »
I spent around eight hours building a tree-castle in Minecraft survival with my brother and some of his online friends. Guess how long it took to burn to the ground after somebody decided he wanted a fireplace? That's right, a matter of minutes. I could murder somebody right now.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #4339 on: April 05, 2014, 03:31:54 pm »

If you enjoyed Absolution I would suggest Hitman: Blood Money as it tends to be considered the best game in the series.

I didn't like Absolution's story, but I loved Contracts Mode.  I just wish there were more maps.  Blood Money is also fun. 

Unfortunately, for me, this is the second time they released a game on Gold for free that I already own (the other was Civ Revolution).  I'm afraid to buy any older games because they might be released in the future (I'm hoping for Borderlands or Bulletstorm).
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4340 on: April 05, 2014, 08:23:27 pm »
So, that Syndicate FPS that came out a little while ago is actually really good. I get why people are pissed EA decided to go with the shooter angle instead of the strategy route like the original, but for what it is, it's a real good shooter.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4341 on: April 05, 2014, 09:45:47 pm »
So, that Syndicate FPS that came out a little while ago is actually really good. I get why people are pissed EA decided to go with the shooter angle instead of the strategy route like the original, but for what it is, it's a real good shooter.

I'm playing that right now. It's not quite as smooth as I'd want it, but it plays really well and has some interesting concepts (most prominently the breaching).
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4342 on: April 06, 2014, 02:42:26 am »
The reasons are quite simple:
They did not want a shooter, they wanted an RPG
They believe the serotype that all shooters are Call of Duty thus RPG elements are impossible
The EA brand is fucking poison

This reminds me of something that came out in 2013.

The Legacy of Kain franchise went free to play multiplayer in 2013. Quite a radical departure from every previous game since. Welp, this is possibly testing the waters for the franchise, if it does good there will hopefully be enough funding for a proper sequel to the actual seriBABAHAHAAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAHAHAAA *snert* AHAHAHAAAAA. This is Square we are dealing here folks! It is a shame, look upon the history then despair at the lost potential and bad ideas.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anc-nMH1o-E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anc-nMH1o-E</a>

TL:DR before the events of Soul Reaver 1 (in that timeline) humans and vamps killing the crap out of each other because Kain buggered off somewhere/when in time. Features the surviving Raziel clan members who can fly as they inherited his wings.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4343 on: April 06, 2014, 07:11:58 am »
Started playing Railroad Tycoon 3 again, and I think I'm really close to beating the Alternate USA scenario. Really difficult but really fun map. Still, it can be done if you know what you're doing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4344 on: April 06, 2014, 10:15:10 am »

I'm playing that right now. It's not quite as smooth as I'd want it, but it plays really well and has some interesting concepts (most prominently the breaching).

Word. shame the PC port isn't exactly great, I've got these black bars at the top and bottom of the screen that I just can't get rid of.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4345 on: April 06, 2014, 12:40:59 pm »

Word. shame the PC port isn't exactly great, I've got these black bars at the top and bottom of the screen that I just can't get rid of.

It all looks fine for me. I just wish I didn't have to play around so much with the mouse sensitivity settings to get it to the smoothness that I like. Default is especially high, but I thankfully have a sensitivity button on my mouse that can set to low, medium, and high instantly and works in conjunction with the game's sensitivity rather than one overriding the other. Gives me a lot more room to tweak it.

Also, I looooove the attention to detail in the game. I love games that include a built-in database that covers everything from an in-universe perspective. It all feels a lot more immersive to me if I can, say, get the full history and technology behind a particular cool gun, or pick up journal entries and emails that provide background without exposition.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4346 on: April 06, 2014, 08:19:26 pm »
Quick question; would any of you lot recommend Dragon's Dogma? I hear it's like Skyrim crossed with Dark Souls and Shadow of the Colossus, so I'm very much intrigued. Is it at all worth the price of admission?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4347 on: April 07, 2014, 12:17:24 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWTy4kiNXeY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWTy4kiNXeY</a>
I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS!

NEW WEAPONS! NEW SHIPS! NEW RACE! NEW SECTOR! NEW QUESTS! QUEST WRITER CHRIS AVELLONE!!

AND... It's a free update rather than DLC.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4348 on: April 08, 2014, 03:58:54 am »
Well, I've just discovered to my utter delight that Mount and Blade and its expansions actually run on my laptop. Now I suppose there's nothing to do except wait for a sale.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4349 on: April 17, 2014, 07:17:09 am »
NEStalgia which is probably the second most well known game developed on BYOND had a steam greenlight release. If you enjoy old school style RPGs it might be up your alley. Although it's grindy as a bitch though.