Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1513956 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4980 on: October 04, 2014, 11:10:06 am »
So anyone else watched any Shadows of Mordor gameplay? I spent last night watching a friend of mine stream it. Lovely great game, I can't wait to play it myself. Now if only they didn't have a few camera and button issues...
It looks pretty snazzy to me. Like Assassin's Creed, only with good combat. Not to mention, the whole branding system and using it to take control of Sauron's upper brass looks pretty cool. Definitely something to consider picking up in a sale, once all the DLC is out.
I've watched a bit into it and it seems cool. I've also seen a comment from a buddy who hates Lord of the rings saying that the game is the first Tolkien related thing he likes.

Does it stop with the whole super hippy "all technology since the Dark Ages is bad" bullshit, at least?  Or, if nothing else, does it make the elves not insufferable pricks?
Where do you get the hate for all technology? The only bit I remember opposing any kind of technology was an offhand mention of how some of the most loudest/dangerous weapons had been invented by goblins. It wasn't a complaint about all tech, just that goblins did some really nasty weapons.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4981 on: October 04, 2014, 11:21:50 am »
IIRC, Isengard was supposed to symbolise the evils of industrialization.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4982 on: October 04, 2014, 11:41:52 am »
And orcs were supposed to symbolice the inferiour blacks who along with the other "multicultural" rabble from Mordor assail the "White-European" Gondor or wait was Mordor just an obvious symbol for Nazi- and/or Kaiser-Germany? Most of the times I've heard people talk about symbolism in Lord of the rings they are talking out of their ass.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4983 on: October 04, 2014, 12:08:36 pm »
I just wonder if there's any bit of Tolkien's lore that hasn't been shattered to pieces by Shadow of Mordor.

Trying very hard not to get all condescending lore purist here.

I had a argument with my brother over this, funnily enough. Yeah, it does take liberties with the Elven afterlife.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4984 on: October 04, 2014, 01:26:37 pm »
It takes place in an alternate continuity, I found out.  That basically means all bets are off.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4985 on: October 04, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »
If it's not in the same continuity, what was the point of making it a Lord of the Rings game, then?
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #4986 on: October 04, 2014, 02:15:24 pm »
Familiar places, names, and the chance to cash in on the high fantasy IP's name.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4987 on: October 04, 2014, 02:26:47 pm »
Familiar places, names, and the chance to cash in on the high fantasy IP's name.

I get the business reasons (IE, probably the real reason it's a Lord of the Rings game), but it just seems lazy for any other reason.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4988 on: October 04, 2014, 03:17:41 pm »
Why make any game that's in an alternate timeline to another established story?  The regular Lord of the Rings has been done to death, an AU gives writers a chance to try something new in an established universe.  That's like asking why you'd want to play in Eberron when you have Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk; people want something familiar, yet different.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #4989 on: October 04, 2014, 03:31:36 pm »
Why make any game that's in an alternate timeline to another established story?  The regular Lord of the Rings has been done to death, an AU gives writers a chance to try something new in an established universe.  That's like asking why you'd want to play in Eberron when you have Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk; people want something familiar, yet different.

This.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4990 on: October 04, 2014, 03:38:40 pm »

This.

You can start the game in a familiar setting and THEN actually change things rather than keep the story tied to canon. Particularly when you wish to explore time before the book/movie/series.

For example, what if you made a Avatar strategy game set during the attack of the Fire nation? Canon would mean that the Fire nation must win or at least conquer most of the planet but "Alternate Continuity" would allow the possibility of one of the other nations winning or an allied victory or anything.

It would still be the same world (although with only a few of the characters) but the game designers and writers could do something different with it.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4991 on: October 04, 2014, 03:47:59 pm »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4992 on: October 04, 2014, 03:53:31 pm »
And orcs were supposed to symbolice the inferiour blacks who along with the other "multicultural" rabble from Mordor assail the "White-European" Gondor or wait was Mordor just an obvious symbol for Nazi- and/or Kaiser-Germany? Most of the times I've heard people talk about symbolism in Lord of the rings they are talking out of their ass.

I thought I had an actual Tolkien quote for it, but I can't find it now and might have hallucinated the whole thing, so I won't deny there's a chance I was talking out of my ass.
Σא

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #4993 on: October 04, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #4994 on: October 04, 2014, 08:00:32 pm »
I have been playing sooooo much League of Legends today.  5 matches, only one of them a loss (because the opposite team pushed mid HARD with a brutal Azir), and totaling 34/35/26.  Ain't bad for only playing solely Nasus and Kennen, the latter of whom I haven't touched in almost two years.

As Nasus says, the cycle of life and death continues.  We will live.  They will die.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."