Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1512788 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6585 on: June 21, 2016, 03:47:39 pm »
Hey Mighty No. 9 came out.  And it sucks.

Ironbite-I'll begin laughing forever now.

...That's a pity. I haven't paid much attention to the production but I know that some of the original Megaman talents are involved. ...And that one of the developers is a woman and there was a massive flamewar against the game because some morons think that women should not be allowed into the special "boys club" that video games are.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6586 on: June 21, 2016, 04:05:34 pm »
Hey Mighty No. 9 came out.  And it sucks.

Ironbite-I'll begin laughing forever now.

...That's a pity. I haven't paid much attention to the production but I know that some of the original Megaman talents are involved. ...And that one of the developers is a woman and there was a massive flamewar against the game because some morons think that women should not be allowed into the special "boys club" that video games are.

You talking about Dina?  Because if you are, I think people were more upset about the fact that she may have gotten her job through nepotism:

Here's a more comprehensive breakdown of the debacle.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6587 on: June 21, 2016, 04:12:26 pm »
People began to question why a person who admitted they had never played a Mega Man game and only applied to be Community Manager out of boredom was doing running a community filled with hardcore devoted fans. Fans were also afraid that Dina's feminist views would influence the production of the game as she was now in a position to suggest such things as she stated she was actively designing characters. People began to speculate that nepotism had played a part in her securing the position based on a tweet Dina had posted where she claims her "friends/BF are working on the game".

I see no problem with her. Morons complaining because they don't want feminism in a game. Some folks crying specifically because she had suggested that the game should have a female protagonist.

That nepotism thing is a red herring. Having connections is a big factor in getting a job but unless there is evidence that she is incompetent and should not have been chosen then it does not really matter. Besides, she's just the community manager, does it really matter if she's a fan of Megaman or not as long as she does her own job?
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6588 on: June 21, 2016, 04:13:10 pm »

It was created by Keiji Inafune, who is considered the creator of Megaman. It really is unfortunate that MN9 came out in such a state. I was really hoping it would be good since Capcom seems to think no one wants Megaman anymore.

EDIT: Well, I was going to ignore Paragon, but since Askold took the bait:

Paragon, please refrain from going "well, actually" when the subject of women and feminists in games comes up for once, please.
Who needs a signature?

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6589 on: June 21, 2016, 04:16:03 pm »
OMG do we really have to bog another fucking thread down with fucking boring bullshit about fucking feminism and women in video games (which is a non issue anyway since women have been involved in video games since the fucking start). She wasn't even a developer, just a community liaison or some bullshit title like that.

Fucks sake.

Anyway I cant even redeem my Mighty No. 9 code. I think its because someone at Sony forgot to make the game available on EU servers… or Comcept fucked up yet again and sent out invalid codes. Either ones just as likely really.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6590 on: June 21, 2016, 04:26:10 pm »
People began to question why a person who admitted they had never played a Mega Man game and only applied to be Community Manager out of boredom was doing running a community filled with hardcore devoted fans. Fans were also afraid that Dina's feminist views would influence the production of the game as she was now in a position to suggest such things as she stated she was actively designing characters. People began to speculate that nepotism had played a part in her securing the position based on a tweet Dina had posted where she claims her "friends/BF are working on the game".

I see no problem with her. Morons complaining because they don't want feminism in a game. Some folks crying specifically because she had suggested that the game should have a female protagonist.

That nepotism thing is a red herring. Having connections is a big factor in getting a job but unless there is evidence that she is incompetent and should not have been chosen then it does not really matter. Besides, she's just the community manager, does it really matter if she's a fan of Megaman or not as long as she does her own job?

Did you read the entire thing?  She wasn't just a community manager (although she was very unsuited for the job), she was also a designer:

And seriously, is it impossible to criticize a woman without being accused of misogyny now?

OMG do we really have to bog another fucking thread down with fucking boring bullshit about fucking feminism and women in video games (which is a non issue anyway since women have been involved in video games since the fucking start). She wasn't even a developer, just a community liaison or some bullshit title like that.

Fucks sake.

Anyway I cant even redeem my Mighty No. 9 code. I think its because someone at Sony forgot to make the game available on EU servers… or Comcept fucked up yet again and sent out invalid codes. Either ones just as likely really.

Askold was the one who brought it up.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:28:15 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #6591 on: June 21, 2016, 04:30:28 pm »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6592 on: June 21, 2016, 04:34:03 pm »
I'm just going to ignore Paragon at this point.

And from I've been hearing, the Wii U version of the game is just plain broken. And I've heard one report where getting the game to run in borderless window mode on PC doesn't work. The game's all around a mess.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6593 on: June 21, 2016, 04:36:36 pm »

It was created by Keiji Inafune, who is considered the creator of Megaman. It really is unfortunate that MN9 came out in such a state. I was really hoping it would be good since Capcom seems to think no one wants Megaman anymore.

EDIT: Well, I was going to ignore Paragon, but since Askold took the bait:

Paragon, please refrain from going "well, actually" when the subject of women and feminists in games comes up for once, please.

Maybe if you stop beating the "sexism" drum when there might be other factors involved.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6594 on: June 21, 2016, 09:49:27 pm »
Okay, guys.  I have a need.  A PC game that has fast-paced combat with few pauses and plenty of challenge.  Everything I've got right now is too god damned slow without enough challenge to keep me interested.  To put it bluntly, I need something to kill.  A lot of somethings.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6595 on: June 21, 2016, 10:03:00 pm »
Something like Painkiller or Serious Sam or any of those old school shooters sounds ideal.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6596 on: June 21, 2016, 10:18:19 pm »
Hadn't considered Painkiller...might look into it.  Been in a bit of a gaming funk, lately and little else interests me beyond brutally kicking ass.  Kinda going into Lu Bu mode, I think.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #6597 on: June 21, 2016, 11:39:17 pm »
If you're looking for something relatively recent, Wolfenstein: The New Order should scratch that itch.
Who needs a signature?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6598 on: June 22, 2016, 03:40:14 am »
Overwatch gets pretty fun if a bit repetitive

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #6599 on: June 22, 2016, 05:29:19 am »
Friday the 13th...so long as its better than the NES version, I'll be satisfied.

Oh I'd say it's a bit different from the previous game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz6e-64mj2Q
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"