Author Topic: School Ban on Gideon Bible handouts sparks hate mail  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
School Ban on Gideon Bible handouts sparks hate mail
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:16:34 pm »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ban-gideon-bible-handout-public-schools-sparks-torrent-100007435.html

How very christ-like of them. ::)

Seriously, if there's going to be religion in schools, than teach ALL of it. You'd pretty much have to teach it ALL to keep everyone happy... except the Christians, of course. If you had a school teacher holding up the Koran or a Wiccan Spellbook in front of a classroom, I imagine the shitstorm would be immense.

Keep religion in the home! We want our kids to actually LEARN something useful!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
Re: School Ban on Gideon Bible handouts sparks hate mail
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:28:48 pm »
Nobody (save for us) would be happy about materials from ALL religions being handed out. How could you justify your actions if such a thing led a good Christian child from the path of righteousness? You might accidentally open his/her mind to other ideas, then who knows what will happen?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

shykid

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:44:05 pm »

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:52:29 pm »
At a school I went to, there was an old man who would walk around the campus in a big brown trenchcoat handing out fluorescent orange Bibles. Obviously this was a security risk, because he was not authorized to be on the campus and he was freaking kids out. So they told him that he could no longer go on the campus. Instead he stood right outside the campus and followed the kids who walked home.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

shykid

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
Instead he stood right outside the campus and followed the kids who walked home.

No, that's not super-creepy at all.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 05:23:37 pm »
In this class of Christian rage is never far beneath the surface.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 05:24:36 pm »
That reminds me of that scene from that crappy christian football movie where the guy would walk into the high school after hours and pray over all the lockers.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 05:29:23 pm »
What movie was that? I only know of a crappy Christian movie about a dancer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Me_Dance

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:31:29 pm »
I think it was called "Facing the Giants" or something. There was like one decent actor in the whole movie.

Any way, I think that guy was a pedo because he would show up in the school and the coach's office at random times.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 06:52:52 pm »
I say we settle this like modern men!  We'll get the best 4 strategy gamers from both the Christian and non-Christian sides, let them digitally duke it out, and to the winner goes the spoils.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »
I say we settle this like modern men!  We'll get the best 4 strategy gamers from both the Christian and non-Christian sides, let them digitally duke it out, and to the winner goes the spoils.

I take offense to that sentiment, as I am a lady and will cream the vast majority of men in any strategy game.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:48:39 pm »
I don't even think 'hand out bibles, then represent ALL religions!' is a legitimate argument. First of all, who decides which religions get their material handed out? There are literally thousands upon thousands of religions in the world--some are obviously more popular than others, but it would be absolutely totally impossible to let people come around to hand out material on every religion. Do you just pick the ones represented in the school population? That way lies madness. Every time someone new moves to the area, or someone converts, then you have to invite ANOTHER religious representative to come to the campus to hand out holy books or whatever. And what if there's an outcry from a small, but vocal, group within the community who believe in a religion that's completely crackpot or in some way dangerous? Scientology leaps to mind, but there are others--after all, cults aren't unheard of--and there's every possibility you might get someone who actually believes they're a Jedi. What do you do in that case, if your rule is to represent EVERY religion? You can't very well turn them away but at the same time there is absolutely no way you can defend or justify letting that kind of lunacy onto a school campus.

Obviously this is just a slippery slope fallacy but it is worth thinking about. Saying you have to include every religion to make it fair just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

In any case, I don't think religion of any kind belongs on a public school campus. Unless there is a serious, unbiased class being taught on religions, which is completely different than letting people hand out scripture to the students. Religion is a personal matter and something that should be left up to everyone to decide for themselves. Allowing Gideons to pass out bibles on school grounds is like allowing people from the makeup counter at JC Penny give girls makeovers at recess--there's nothing wrong with wearing makeup and there's nothing wrong with deciding to be a Christian, but these are things that have NOTHING to do with school or education, should be something everyone decides for themselves to participate in or not, and the last thing you want is for kids to feel pressured into either of them.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 08:57:14 pm »
I think it should be okay for students to pass out tracts as long as a school official looks over them first to make sure they do not have anything that could be considered "hate speech." I have no problem with students using their own time (like a home room period) to pass out fliers for a religious event, for example, as long as the flier explicitly states it is religious. However, Jack Chick tracts and anything that encourages bigotry against another group ("Atheists want you to go to hell", "Homosexuality is a sin", etc.) should definitely be disallowed.

A friend of mine in Ohio said that a kid once started passing out Chick tracts during home room. The school confiscated them, but my friend managed to steal a few copies from the main office, went home, and lol'd at the fail. Then he gave copies for his other friends to lol at. And no soul was saved that day.

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 09:15:13 pm »
I could see there being an awful lot of pressure at play with your hypothetical plan, Wykked. It's not uncommon for a lot of the kids to be the same religion and even attend the same church, and if you allow students to advertise or promote church-based activities at school you can't honestly say you don't see a potential for there to be a lot of pressure on the non-church-member kids to conform regardless of what their personal beliefs are. Even if it's not intentional, even if the event is totally harmless, like a fun-fair or bake sale. I'm not even much of a conformist, but when I was young a lot of my classmates knew each other from church and I always felt like I had to be a church member myself to be accepted by them. Had I hated church just a little less I might well have gone along with it, even though from a young age I had serious doubts about religion. And that's from someone who isn't otherwise typically a sheeple.

Handing out tracts of any kind would be completely inappropriate. Even the nicest tracts have the same goal as Jack Chick's: to try and convince people to convert to this particular brand of faith. That doesn't belong in a public school.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:42:20 pm »
I'm with Caitshidhe, there's a time and a place for handing out tracts and bibles, outside of public school. I have no problem with bibles being handed out in for a religion class, but other than that, no. Also, I remember those bibles being handed out, outside of school, the guys used to bug people if they walked past the student parking lot.