Author Topic: Good LGBT/Feminist reads?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
Good LGBT/Feminist reads?
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:30:29 pm »
Since I've obtained a tablet I've been looking into downloading books onto it, and I've already saved samples of books for the Kindle app. Books include a Queer History of the United States, Black Queer Studies, and The Beauty Myth. I look into reviews and such to make sure that books I put on my wishlist aren't too terribly written, and I thought some of you guys on here would be able to name good ones as well.

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
Re: Good LGBT/Feminist reads?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 07:22:05 pm »
What about 'How to be Gay' by David M. Halperin?

I'm not a known acquaintance of Dorothy myself, but I have heard good reviews on BBC Radio 4 recently.

It's supposed to focus on the culture surrounding male homosexuality, the things you 'have to know'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/books/how-to-be-gay-by-david-m-halperin.html?_r=0

Not a particularly wonderful view in The Guardian, though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/29/how-be-gay-david-m-halperin
'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:26:47 pm »
"Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity" by Julia Serano

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:35:06 pm »
"Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity" by Julia Serano
I actually have the preview for that one downloaded!

What about 'How to be Gay' by David M. Halperin?

I'm not a known acquaintance of Dorothy myself, but I have heard good reviews on BBC Radio 4 recently.

It's supposed to focus on the culture surrounding male homosexuality, the things you 'have to know'.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/books/how-to-be-gay-by-david-m-halperin.html?_r=0

Not a particularly wonderful view in The Guardian, though:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/29/how-be-gay-david-m-halperin
I'd say that that book doesn't seem to be something I'd enjoy, based on the description. It might be worth a read if I want to see another perspective, but based on that review and others on Amazon, it seems as if this is typical reinforcing stereotypes that don't apply to even half of gay men, and that it's also very white-centric. I'm not using other peoples' opinions to decide my final verdict, but I will say that the description of the book makes it seem as if it really is reinforcing stereotypes that don't hold up. I could be wrong in my interpretation, and feel free to tell me if I am.

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:43:12 pm »
I also think pretty much anything by Jessica Valenti is amazing.

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 08:24:55 pm »
I have 2 of her books' previews downloaded, but I haven't read through them yet. Is she sex-positive as well? If not, I might have a few issues.

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 08:36:50 pm »
I have 2 of her books' previews downloaded, but I haven't read through them yet. Is she sex-positive as well? If not, I might have a few issues.
Yes she is.

Offline wrongfrog

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 09:52:49 pm »
Nice. It's sometimes hard to find mainstream sex-positive feminists who aren't Laci Green these days. Especially after Anita Sarkeesian got popular.

Offline Feral Dog

• The Beast
  • Caffeine, how I adore thee.
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 01:09:31 am »
Hmmm, not entirely sure about non-fiction (I do have some Valenti books) but in the fictional realm Terry Pratchett's work has a feminist bent. Equal Rites, Monstrous Regiment, and The Fifth Elephant in particular discuss gender issues.

Without spoiling too much:
Equal Rites: The seventh son of the seventh son of a wizard by tradition gets the wizard's blessings. Women aren't supposed to be wizards, but they can be witches. A girl is born who ends up being both.

Monstrous Regiment: A small theocracy goes to war with its neighbors. Some women join the army, despite it being illegal, for a variety of reasons (the main character because she can't inherit her father's inn and needs to find her brother. The motives of the rest would be spoilers). It's funny, but also sad.

The Fifth Elephant: The actual plot (dwarf bread and murder)doesn't have much to do with gender, but the subplot does (the fact that "all dwarves are men", but some of the younger females... the horror... are using female pronouns! And wearing heels and makeup!). There is a huge Crowning Moment of Awesome concerning the subplot.
Fiber Arts Enthusiast

EDIT: Aaaand my 10,000th post is about fascism, Plato, and gay sex. This is clearly a great accomplishment.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 02:34:21 pm »
I know this sounds a bit odd, but a couple of Anne McCaffrey's early books (why am I on such a McCaffrey kick?) are really good options for the feminist side of things.

Restoree pulls a woman from 1960's Earth (when the book was written) into a dangerous new world.  While it was written during a time when women in sci-fi were basically just pretty furniture that screamed at appropriate times, and is in many ways a reaction to that, it still holds up very nicely today, and raises a lot of questions about women in society that, sadly, are still just as relevant today, thanks to the way marketing has resurrected old stereotypes.

The Ship Who Sang is sort of an anti-Restoree.  Where Sara is physically strong, Helva is so physically deformed that she is bioengineered from infancy to be part of the drive system for a spaceship, because her brain is considered the only "useful" part of her.  (This particular sci-fi future is pretty damn ableist, and apparently did not have an AI "singularity event.")  The novel follows her adventures with the able-bodied partners, or "brawns," that she works with.

Dragonsong had a very deep impact on me from an early age.  Menolly is from a very insular, patriarchal Pernese Hold that is terrified of change.  She wants to be a harper, but Half-Circle Sea Hold has never had a female harper.  Faced with the prospect of marriage and a life of drudgery in the Hold, Menolly runs away from home--during a time when deadly Thread is falling on Pern, devouring any organic matter it touches.

I am NOT going to recommend any of her works for the LGBT side of things, though.  McCaffrey was excellent at world-building and character creation, but she had pretty much zero understanding of LGBT issues, or even how sexual orientation works.  As far as that goes, she appares to have been a product of her generation.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:54:02 am »
Oh yes.....McCaffrey and her.....yeah.  Luckly later on there starts to be more girls chosen by greens but early on...yesh.

Ironbite-kinda offends me a bit but I've learned to ignore it as it's not really dwelled on that much.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 06:48:32 am »
Not sure what kind of books you are looking for, but Radclyffe is an amazing author. She writes romance, but they are romance with a good plot and great, believable characters.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Mister Argent!

• Neonate
  • JINKIES!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 02:14:30 pm »
If you're looking for a book with LGBT Characters, 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' by John Green and David Levithan is a good one. It's a story about two different-yet-similar fellows who have the same name, and a third fellow named Tiny Cooper

Here's a summary:
One cold night, in a most unlikely corner of Chicago, two teens—both named Will Grayson—are about to cross paths. As their worlds collide and intertwine, the Will Graysons find their lives going in new and unexpected directions, building toward romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history’s most fabulous high school musical.

Though the book is called Will Grayson, Will Grayson the plot also largely concerns Will Grayson A's friend Tiny Cooper.

For Feminism?
Well, i haven't read a terrible lot of feminist literature lately but Jesusland by Julia Scheeres was a read both interesting and horrifying, going into a mostly first-hand account of rural attitudes towards women in the '70s and those crazy-ass christian reform schools.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:23:09 pm by Mister Argent! »
Avatar from the artwork for "MDK2" (PC/Mac/PS2/Dreamcast).