Author Topic: Costco Bibles marked "fiction" on price tags  (Read 4723 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Costco Bibles marked "fiction" on price tags
« on: November 20, 2013, 01:41:08 pm »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-costco-labels-bible-fiction-20131120,0,2267292.story#axzz2lDDI0WOx
Megachurch pastor was shopping there and notices the tag details, posts a pic online, which starts a meltdown all over social media. Over a price sticker. Yay!
Oh please...Let this become a trend wherever bibbles tis sold.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:44:27 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Costco Bibles marked "fiction" on price tags
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 02:12:22 pm »
Ha, that's amusing. People are so offended by any little thing that challenges their faith.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:52:35 pm »
Heh, sounds like someone's having fun.

Normally I'd say something like "Eh I think I'd prefer it go into mythology - same practical application as fiction, only the christopagans are happy" but really, I don't care.  It's a jab at Christianity, which I have a special loathing for out of all religions (Yes yes, I know, pagans are supposed to be tolerant of all religions, but then, I think we tend to get a little TOO tolerant at times to the point of bending over backwards to kiss up to Christians).

If I lived in an area where it was, say, Islam or Judaism trying to oppress people, I'm sure I'd have a special loathing for them.  But I think I'm entitled to this one biased viewpoint.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »
Well, they can't prove it's NOT fiction, so I don't see the problem :P

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »
Well, they can't prove it's NOT fiction, so I don't see the problem :P

I don't see it either.

Only reason I mention mythology is that mythology doesn't have to be fact to be productive.  In fact, I think Christianity (and Islam, and Judaism to a much lesser degree) tend to be among the few religions that actively demand that everything in their holy books have to be fact (in fact, I think one of the things about Buddhism is that the stories of the Buddha are just that - stories.)

Heck, a lot of Greek mythology was guys simply telling each other stories around a campfire, using gods as characters in their stories.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 03:20:17 pm »
I once saw Maus sold in the humour section of a bookstore. That was disturbing.

This, however, is just funny.
Σא

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:42:04 pm »
This reminds me of one of Viz's Top Tips:

"BOOKSHOP OWNERS. Annoy Christians by putting the Bible in the 'Fiction' section of your shop where, joking aside, it actually belongs."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:47 pm »
I once saw Maus sold in the humour section of a bookstore. That was disturbing.

This, however, is just funny.

What if you had seen Also Spracht er, something in there?

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:54 pm »
Kaltenbach told Elisabeth Hasselbeck on Fox News the label "probably was a mistake, I have no idea." But, he added, the issue highlighted the fact that "we do need to be vocal about our faith.”

Compared to what?
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »
Really?  You can't walk down the street without being able to visually identify at least 10 Christians.

You can't walk through a city without being bombarded by at least one curb pastor trying to save your immortal soul.

You can't browse an internet comments section without at least 50 people whining about how they're the oppressed minority in America and how Democrats are trying to steal their faith (*cough*more like oppressive majority*cough*who is trying to steal other people's faith*cough*)

How much more vocal can you fucking get!?

Offline Raymond Dullaghy

• Apprentice
  • God before dogma!
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 04:18:01 pm »
On the one hand, I'm kind of offended, considering the Bible is the holy book to me. On the other hand, I don't own that store, and even if I did, I'd file probably file all religious books under nonfiction.  There's more important things to worry about than a single store filing its books in a way you don't agree with.
I'm in science to discover and analyze God's wonderful universe, not gripe about how people don't like God.  I believe the creation/evolution debate is a waste of Christian brains (we have them, believe it or not) that could be better spent on making actual things.

Favorite philosophers (out of the ones I've personally read): Jesus, Solomon, Marcus Aurelius, Immanuel Kant

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 01:43:20 am »
I once saw "Grave of the Fireflies" in the kids' section of the videostore (I'm so old). THAT was fun to explain to the parents of their traumatized kid...they later repeated the lesson with MD Geist.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 02:02:54 am »
I once saw "Grave of the Fireflies" in the kids' section of the videostore (I'm so old). THAT was fun to explain to the parents of their traumatized kid...they later repeated the lesson with MD Geist.

Well, to be fair, no one should see MD Geist.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 10:49:13 am »
Back when I was a kid all anime was commonly in one category. Mom refused to buy Akira because it was in the same section as "Gigolo" and other hentai movies. And in school back when I was ten or so we watched Silver Fang during class. A horribly mangled and censured version of Silver Fang because it is so violent anime, but they still marketed it to kids 5+ because it is animated which obviously means it is a kids show. Even if you have to censor half the show due to all the blood and violence.

Now that I think about it, I should really watch the uncensored version someday. The version I have was so mangled that at one point character A is alive and well, talking to others, few seconds later he is lying in a pool of blood and dying. AND NO ONE EVER EXPLAINS HOW OR WHY THAT HAPPENED.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline KZN02

• The Beast
  • The Master of Tediousness
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »
Simi Valley? I know that Costco, I go there a lot.
What is, is not; what is not, is.