Author Topic: GamerGate  (Read 140739 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: GamerGate
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2014, 04:18:09 am »
So, uh... do debates around here always get this heated, or is this an exception?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2014, 04:30:00 am »
Depends on the debate. We have had a few that caused ragequits and caused a split among the forum users (many who left in fact.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2014, 06:00:40 am »
Gamergate's just a clusterfuck on both sides. They're as bad as each other at this point.

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2014, 08:03:45 am »
This is the face of your movement Gaters.  These outer fringe idiots who nobody has done any effort to curtail.
I was there to see the thread where Brianna Wu was doxxed, and it was overwhelmingly denounced. Just like every other time someone posts something of that nature.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Just what kind of "effort to curtail" do you want? We already make it very clear that we do not approve of such behavior and actively condemn it when we see it. Beyond that, what can we do? Do you expect us to revoke their gamergate membership cards or something?

And if you don't want to be associated with this petulant, thuggish, mysoginist dickery ditch the fucking GamerGate label!
What good would that do? Any alternate label that got big enough to supplant gamergate would promptly be attacked and stigmatized by the gaming journalists and their allies and we'd end up right back where we started.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2014, 08:30:30 am »
In other news....the outside world is enjoying the views of the box they're getting.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:18:15 am by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2014, 09:08:20 am »
This is the face of your movement Gaters.  These outer fringe idiots who nobody has done any effort to curtail.
I was there to see the thread where Brianna Wu was doxxed, and it was overwhelmingly denounced. Just like every other time someone posts something of that nature.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
Just what kind of "effort to curtail" do you want? We already make it very clear that we do not approve of such behavior and actively condemn it when we see it. Beyond that, what can we do? Do you expect us to revoke their gamergate membership cards or something?

And if you don't want to be associated with this petulant, thuggish, mysoginist dickery ditch the fucking GamerGate label!
What good would that do? Any alternate label that got big enough to supplant gamergate would promptly be attacked and stigmatized by the gaming journalists and their allies and we'd end up right back where we started.

It would allow you to concentrate on gaming without being associated with epic shitlords that threaten to rape and murder people. It would also lose the association with a mountain of bullshit that has nothing to do with computer games!

That's what's behind all of your deep passion isn't it, gaming?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2014, 09:32:41 am »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

It would allow you to concentrate on gaming without being associated with epic shitlords that threaten to rape and murder people. It would also lose the association with a mountain of bullshit that has nothing to do with computer games!

"Rational"Wiki is far from infallible.  And that article in particular is deeply, deeply flawed.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2014, 09:42:32 am »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

"Rational"Wiki is far from infallible.  And that article in particular is deeply, deeply flawed.
Agreed. That article is the single issue wank of one particular editor, who reminds me of Rome Viharo.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2014, 11:22:09 am »
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

For one, why do you need a label? The idea that you need a label to put on yourself is ridiculous and, frankly, counterproductive to your alleged cause. For two, maybe if you'd talk about the issues instead of feeling the need to defend yourself at every fucking step.
Who needs a signature?

Offline WatermelonRat

• Apprentice
« Reply #234 on: October 11, 2014, 03:12:38 pm »
For one, why do you need a label? The idea that you need a label to put on yourself is ridiculous and, frankly, counterproductive to your alleged cause. For two, maybe if you'd talk about the issues instead of feeling the need to defend yourself at every fucking step.
1 - Convenience. It's a simple way to collectively refer to a big movement.
2 - Coordination. The term ties together the multiple issues of contention spread across multiple sites. It also makes internet searches easier.
3 - Morale. With most of the media on the attack, having a flag to rally around is psychologically helpful for a lot of people. It gives them a sense of solidarity that helps them weather the atacks.
4 - It's just what stuck. This, I think, is the most important factor. People have been calling the whole affair gamergate for over a month and its become wired into our brains that criticism of game journalists = gamergate.

As for your second point, I fail to see how refraining from defending ourselves is in our best interests.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

We're going to be "associated" with them one way or another. Don't you remember the eleven "gamers are dead" articles? They weren't talking about gamergate, they were smearing gamers in general. If I sent a message to one of those game journalists or posted on an anti-gg site about corruption without ever mentioning gg, do you think for a second that they wouldn't try to attach me to those "epic shitlords"?

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2014, 03:42:28 pm »
I'm mostly counting the minutes until GamerGate declares Wu being driven out of her home a false flag, just like they did with Sarkeesian and Quinn.

They're already saying that on the CWCki forums, that she spun this and that she doxxed herself etc. I'm pretty sure that the same is being said on 8Chan.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #236 on: October 11, 2014, 05:08:06 pm »
Well, here are the threatening tweets:

You know what I'm not seeing?  Any mention of GamerGate.

ETA: Explain this:

Either Wu's clairvoyant, or this is the most incompetent false flag of all time.

Combine this with the fact that she's an admitted sockpuppeteer:

And the answer seems obvious.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:38:37 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #237 on: October 11, 2014, 07:14:29 pm »
....I'm going to assume UP posted something infuriating.

Ironbite-because otherwise I'll go off on his ass.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:02:07 pm by ironbite »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #238 on: October 11, 2014, 07:54:38 pm »
It was the Reptilian NWO SJWs maaaaan, she prolly doxxed herself.

I think Frank Cifaldi nailed this one.

This is how these deranged people think. They'd rather believe a conspiracy theory than a woman.

Again notice, no one is weaving bat crappingly crazy conspiracy theories about GamerGaters faking their harassment. It’s much more parsimonious to suggest that yes, someone angry at GamerGate took things waaay to far and made an ass of themselves!
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Agreed. That article is the single issue wank of one particular editor, who reminds me of Rome Viharo.
And dear people, if one obscure Wiki editor was the only reason for calling out GamerGate’s origins as a mountain of bullshit you might have something, this is not the case!

Ironbite dared you to defend this assholery, you didn’t disappoint!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #239 on: October 11, 2014, 08:14:39 pm »
Not even 24 hours. Yeah, I wish I could be surprised that GamerGate already put thee tinfoil hats on.
Who needs a signature?