Author Topic: Abortion  (Read 2672 times)

Offline farpadokly

• Neonate
Abortion
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:54:31 pm »
I wrote this as a comment but then I though it'd be better in the forums.

I have a genuine question for anyone. Why is the right so keen that every single pregnancy results in a birth? Do they want more souls for Christianity? Do they want to increase the population? Do they want more workers for business? Do they want more soldiers for the army? Or do they just simply want control of women's (and men's) reproductive functions?

Genuinely curious.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Abortion
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »
It's a mix of "they're killing unique souls before they even have a chance to see the world" and "sex should have consequences, and we shouldn't save people from those consequences"
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:05:28 pm »
Some believe a fetus is a human being. I reject the notion that everyone just wants to control women. Some fundies do for sure, but you can be pro-life and not anti-woman at the same time.

And then, some people just want to make sure you're punished for having sex and enjoying it.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:55:57 pm »
Obligatory George Carlin video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qtlvr6LLV8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qtlvr6LLV8</a>
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:04:03 pm »
They see abortion as killing, and as such believe it is wrong.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Patches

• Bishop
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:55 pm »
Even if you posit that a fetus has all the same legal rights as a born person, well, that doesn't really change anything.  No born person is allowed to violate another person's bodily integrity without their consent, and the person who feels violated is within their right to take any necessary actions to remove what they perceive to be a threat.  Hell, the same party that is against women taking measures to protect themselves are the ones pushing for "shoot to kill for even a 'perceived' threat" gun laws.

Abortion to me falls under the same category as mandatory organ donation.  The government cannot compel you to sacrifice your own body for the sake of another, even if it means the other will die.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:54:13 pm »
It's a mix of "they're killing unique souls before they even have a chance to see the world" and "sex should have consequences, and we shouldn't save people from those consequences"

This. There's a ton of overlap between the "it's murder!" and "sex should have consequences!" reasoning, too.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:40 pm »
Its a mix of "murder is wrong" "someone think of the children" and "you shouldn't be enjoying sex you miserable slut".  There are people out there who aren't all three but enough are.  They are about slut shaming and want to protect all the wittle babies they're failing to see that they're not protecting anything.

Ironbite-and their efforts could be going to better causes.

Offline Cataclysm

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:10 am »
Who's going to pay for my SS?
I'd be more sympathetic if people here didn't act like they knew what they were saying when they were saying something very much wrong.

Commenter Brendan Rizzo is an American (still living there) who really, really hates America. He used to make posts defending his country from anti-American attacks but got fed up with it all.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:44:49 pm »
You're not going to get intelligent moral judgments from a person who is unable to differentiate between a functioning, self-aware human being and a clump of undifferentiated cells.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »
I feel this is important  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXrJHXS9Zo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXrJHXS9Zo</a>