Author Topic: Why you're not being hired  (Read 4422 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Why you're not being hired
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:07:49 pm »
This is an interesting piece. It basically summarize the reason why you're not hired is because employers want you super qualified (and already trained) AND pay you squat diddly.

From the Economic Populist, this piece explains how automated software is screening qualified people out of the job application process. While Mr. Cappelli is saying that companies are short-staffed and using software because of the overwhelming volume of applications, the real problem is that employers are demanding unrealistic qualifications and then blaming the applicant pool and the schools for the fact that they're not offering enough of a salary to attract the high skill level they want.

This isn't specific to this recession. When I was a recruiter, I saw employers turn into petty tyrants after 9/11, demanding absurd combinations of skill sets at lower wages because they were convinced they had the upper hand. Now, large corporations are using the inability to get qualified workers at slave wages as an excuse to bring in lower-paid workers from other countries. Progress!

Finally someone speaks the truth about U.S. employers claiming they just can't find people for job openings. Wharton Business School Professor Peter Cappelli has analyzed why employers dare to claim they cannot find people to hire when the United States has over 27 million people needing a job.

There is no skills shortage, none. In fact employers are being absolutely ridiculous in their hiring practices. It's so bad, employers use software and third party rejection job application websites, which pretty much guarantee a candidate will be rejected. These websites and software are like virtual wastebaskets for your resume. No human involved, it's automatic, guaranteed rejection. It's so bad, an HR executive applied for his own job and was rejected.

A Philadelphia-area human-resources executive told Mr. Cappelli that he applied anonymously for a job in his own company as an experiment. He didn't make it through the screening process.

Another factor that contributes to the perception of a skills gap is that most employers now use software to handle job applications, adding rigidity to the process that screens out all but the theoretically perfect candidate. Most systems, for example, now ask potential applicants what wage they are seeking — and toss out those who put down a figure higher than the employer wants. That’s hardly a skill problem. Meanwhile, applicants are typically assessed almost entirely on prior experience and credentials, and a failure to meet any one of the requirements leads to elimination. One manager told me that in his company 25,000 applicants had applied for a standard engineering job, yet none were rated as qualified.

Watch the above interview with Professor Cappelli on the real problem with employers these days. It is not that people are lacking skills, it is employers have impossible requirements.

I would say it is kinda obvious. Employers wants the best for as little as possible. I guess the article argues they're beginning to take this to extremes.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Patches

• Bishop
Re: Why you're not being hired
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »
From my experience in the job-hunting field, this tends to be the deciding factor above all else:

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:46:26 pm »
Yeah, that's a huge problem too.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:29:31 pm »
Hell, after 2yrs of being told I'm not qualified to wash dishes, clear tables, or run a cash register, I coulda told you this.
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 04:44:20 pm »
Immoral, unproductive and stupid.  Whee! for American companies.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Day In, Day Out. All the Time. Work, Work, Work
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 06:49:10 pm »
Hell, after 2yrs of being told I'm not qualified to wash dishes, clear tables, or run a cash register, I coulda told you this.

Same story for me. I honestly believe I was only hired at Wendys because they were seriously understaffed and I was one of the few people who could begin work that day.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:49:42 pm »
Occurs with UK companies too, only ended up with the job I start with soon due to it being a rather niche skillset. Even the companies that do train put you in indentured servitude for 3 years.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »
Meaningful, well-paid employment is not something you earn, nor is it something you are given as charity. It is something you are entitled to. If the government cannot provide everyone- 100% of people who want one- with such a job, elect a different government.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 09:37:39 pm »
Surprise levels?  Negligible.  Is it bullshit?  You bet your ass it is.  You fuckers want experience, yet nobody will hire me unless I have experience...so, I can't get experience, ergo, I can't get hired unless I'm lucky.  Yeaaaaaaaaaah...eat a fucking dick.  Just not my dick.  STAY AWAY FROM MY DICK.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »
I thought overly qualified people are exactly what employers don't want, due to the fact that they'll constantly be looking to jump ship to a better job (especially once the economy picks up).

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:42:30 pm »
Surprise levels?  Negligible.  Is it bullshit?  You bet your ass it is.  You fuckers want experience, yet nobody will hire me unless I have experience...so, I can't get experience, ergo, I can't get hired unless I'm lucky.  Yeaaaaaaaaaah...eat a fucking dick.  Just not my dick.  STAY AWAY FROM MY DICK.

*looks up from putting Worcestershire sauce on RavynousHunter's dick*
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 12:30:06 am »
I thought overly qualified people are exactly what employers don't want, due to the fact that they'll constantly be looking to jump ship to a better job (especially once the economy picks up).

In the short run, American businesses want over-qualified people, because they will have more productivity right now. There's no threat of them changing jobs, due to health insurance and mass unemployment.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:35:01 am »

This was my story up until December, I'm so fucking happy I was kept on,after the holiday season.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 12:54:15 am »
Oh, what's that you say?  Upper management is using "market forces" as an excuse to do all the things they have wanted to do all along?  Wow, what a shock.   ::)

The reason management is refusing to hire is because consumer demand continues to be weak, therefore demand for labor (as well as commercial products and services) is weak.  This is a perfect opportunity for them and the talentless lackeys who carry out their orders--commonly referred to as "Human Resources"--to test out new methods of discrimination and shut more people out of the labor market, all in the name of squeezing the last little bits of productivity and profit out of their existing workers (until they too are laid off).

Despite what politicians and their paid apologists say about the matter, this is a demand-side issue.  Labor supply is not the problem.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 07:41:40 pm »
Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit. Why won't people buy shit? Because they have no money. Why don't people have any money? You pay them shit. Why do you pay them shit? Because you can't find people to buy your shit...

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...