Author Topic: Two Genes Do Not a Conservative or Liberal Voter Make  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Two Genes Do Not a Conservative or Liberal Voter Make
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:51 am »
http://news.sanford.duke.edu/news-type/news/2012/two-genes-do-not-make-voter

"The study of Fowler and Dawes is wrong," Charney said. "Two genes do not predict turnout. We reran the study using all of their assumptions, equations, and data and found that their results were based upon errors they made. When we corrected the errors, there was no longer any association between these two genes and voter turnout."

Charney and English also document how the same two genes that Fowler and Dawes claimed would predict voter turnout are also said to predict, according to other recently published studies, alcoholism, Alzheimer's disease, anorexia nervosa, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism, depression, epilepsy, extraversion, insomnia, migraines, narcolepsy, obesity, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, Parkinson's disease, postpartum depression, restless legs syndrome, premature ejaculation, schizophrenia, smoking, success by professional Wall Street traders, sudden infant death syndrome, suicide, Tourette syndrome, and several hundred other behaviors. They point to a number of studies that attempted to confirm these findings and could not.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Two Genes Do Not a Conservative or Liberal Voter Make
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:47:00 am »
I could see genetics playing a role in political beliefs through differences in intelligence, aggression, potential for empathy, etc., but using genes -- and only two of them, at that -- in an effort to predict a person's leanings strikes me as overly simplistic.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:38 am »
Thank you for posting this, Shane.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:04:07 am »
Thank you for posting this, Shane.
You're welcome.
I could see genetics playing a role in political beliefs through differences in intelligence, aggression, potential for empathy, etc., but using genes -- and only two of them, at that -- in an effort to predict a person's leanings strikes me as overly simplistic.

I always thought it was. It's a different way of predicting someone's intelligence through headsize, in my opinion.

&
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »
Not surprising at all. Nature/environment/however you want to describe it has a huge impact on a person's views.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:55:31 pm »
Wait, people were saying two genes were causes political outlook? Seriously?
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Shane for Wax

• Kakarot
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »
Wait, people were saying two genes were causes political outlook? Seriously?

Fowler and Dawes did. I think we even posted the original study on the old forums.

&

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 05:06:24 pm »
Do you need a gene transplant of some sort in order to change your political stance?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:42:21 am »
Do you need a gene transplant of some sort in order to change your political stance?

Sometimes it takes an entire brain transplant. 

On an unrelated note, I'm doing an experiment in which the subject gets to eat delicious cake *before* we do science.  Not after.  We've had previous complaints about the cake being a lie, and we want to assure you that those doubts are unfounded.  The cake is very real, very delicious, and very not laced with knockout agent.  Previous subjects who survived have felt refreshed, smarter, and as if they have a shiny, brand new brain.  I'm not sure why I'm mentioning it on this board, though.  The only people eligible are Republicans who can afford the anti-rejection medication special candies they will be eating for the rest of their lives.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:46:23 am by StallChaser »

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:28:15 am »
It's a small world.  I looked up John Hibbing, a political scientist of whom takes an interest in the area and of whom I have had the opportunity to talk extensively to, on Google.  Turns out he was on the Daily Show and so was my friend Doug.  I can't believe I missed this since I thought I watched the show piously. 

Apparently not.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-december-4-2008/paging-dr--mandvi---political-genes

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson