Author Topic: Anything Good Happen Today?  (Read 858569 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Anything Good Happen Today?
« Reply #3960 on: March 09, 2016, 02:32:21 pm »
Nah, I didn't...wanted some time to cool down after it happened last Monday.  Basically, the President of the company was a retard and cost us a lot of money, which resulted in massive staff cuts.  I still want to strangle the fucker since he was told, repeatedly, over the course of months that it'd happen, though.  But, I'm not letting it bring me down.  Getting depressed achieves nothing.  Instead, I'm letting my anger and outrage at the bastard give me energy to do something constructive.  I'm an angry person by nature and its high time I use it to my advantage.
Ah fuck, so sorry to hear that. Here's some useless lip service: somewhere in an alternate universe, your company prez is the only one who got laid off, thereby saving everybody else's job...and the company. Lucky for alternate universe you. Sigh. Whelp, apply for unemployment, build that game and let's hope it can make it onto steam greenlight or whereva you'd want to market it.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3961 on: March 09, 2016, 02:50:26 pm »
Nah, I didn't...wanted some time to cool down after it happened last Monday.  Basically, the President of the company was a retard and cost us a lot of money, which resulted in massive staff cuts.  I still want to strangle the fucker since he was told, repeatedly, over the course of months that it'd happen, though.  But, I'm not letting it bring me down.  Getting depressed achieves nothing.  Instead, I'm letting my anger and outrage at the bastard give me energy to do something constructive.  I'm an angry person by nature and its high time I use it to my advantage.

That sucks, man.  Well, at least you're being proactive, I guess.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3962 on: March 09, 2016, 04:06:35 pm »
Thanks, homies.  I'm in the process of getting the unemployment whatsis all done.  In the meantime, I got something to do, if nothin else.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3963 on: March 15, 2016, 06:01:21 pm »
Had the date today (was meant to be last week but we pushed it make for better timing).

We had a great time, even if we didn't do much (just chatted mostly). We are going to go out again soon!

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #3964 on: March 15, 2016, 09:35:06 pm »
That's great, Ian!
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #3965 on: March 16, 2016, 02:31:19 am »
Yay, Ian! Chatting isn't "not much". That's the good stuff.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3966 on: March 16, 2016, 03:14:38 pm »
Thanks guys! Not going to lie, i was nervous as anything before hand, but I got over it pretty quick.

I really do like her, so fingers crossed eh?

Even Then

« Reply #3967 on: March 17, 2016, 06:24:48 am »
I feel like I have hope for my future again!

My teacher told me my translation work would bring joy to a lot of people, and the next day I asked him if I could possibly get a job in the strange hodgepodge editing/translating/proofreading thing I've been doing for him. Not only did he say yes, but he pointed me into the right direction by suggesting I contact tourism businesses (they'll be needing international marketing, after all) and said he'd vouch for my skills if I decided to apply for a job there! Even though my studies are going through an all-time low in both comprehension and motivation, I'm not a worthless waste of space! I have a future that doesn't involve living with my parents and mooching off them until kingdom come! Holy fucking shit, it feels unreal even when I'm typing it, I'm fucking laughing in ecstatic disbelief, but it's happening!

...even though I know that I still need to do the actual applying, pay back student loans, find an apartment... but somehow, I believe it'll all work out! I HAVE A FUTURE!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3968 on: March 23, 2016, 01:12:00 pm »
Got the compiler for my engine working!  There's two ways you can make a story:

1) Write the scripts in Visual Studio (as C# classes deriving from one of the base script classes) as a library project, manually write the XML package info file and zip the resulting compiled DLL and package info file (*.sei extension) together.

2) Write the scripts in a folder using something like Notepad++ (again, C# classes, derivation and so on) and give the compiler tool the information about the story (authors, name, description, etc), point it to the right folder and, if all is validated successfully, it'll do all the heavy lifting for you, giving you a nice, pretty zip file with everything you need inside.

Just one more step on the path to a working base for text-based adventure games!  Huzzah!  Even got logging working right so you can figure out what went wrong and where!  The Engineer continues his works...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 01:14:18 pm by RavynousHunter »

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl
« Reply #3969 on: March 23, 2016, 06:34:04 pm »
I feel like I have hope for my future again!

My teacher told me my translation work would bring joy to a lot of people, and the next day I asked him if I could possibly get a job in the strange hodgepodge editing/translating/proofreading thing I've been doing for him. Not only did he say yes, but he pointed me into the right direction by suggesting I contact tourism businesses (they'll be needing international marketing, after all) and said he'd vouch for my skills if I decided to apply for a job there! Even though my studies are going through an all-time low in both comprehension and motivation, I'm not a worthless waste of space! I have a future that doesn't involve living with my parents and mooching off them until kingdom come! Holy fucking shit, it feels unreal even when I'm typing it, I'm fucking laughing in ecstatic disbelief, but it's happening!

...even though I know that I still need to do the actual applying, pay back student loans, find an apartment... but somehow, I believe it'll all work out! I HAVE A FUTURE!

Awesome, I'm really interested in getting into translation (part of the reason why I'm studying Russian). What language do you translate?

Even Then

« Reply #3970 on: March 23, 2016, 06:42:19 pm »
I've only officially done Finnish-to-English so far, but I have unofficially done some minor English-to-Finnish for people.

Offline mellenORL

• The Beast
« Reply #3971 on: March 23, 2016, 06:46:39 pm »
Your mastery of colloquial and more formal English is dead-on, ET. You should do well in a translating career.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #3972 on: March 23, 2016, 10:30:01 pm »
Yeah, if I didn't know you were Finnish, I'd never guess. Your English is better than many Americans.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #3973 on: March 24, 2016, 07:17:12 am »
...your English is better than many Americans.

Being from the UK, and being half English, I am obliged to say that all Americans are bad at English.  :P

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #3974 on: March 24, 2016, 09:22:59 am »
...your English is better than many Americans.

Being from the UK, and being half English, I am obliged to say that all Americans are bad at English.  :P

u wot m8?