Author Topic: The bento experiment.  (Read 2103 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
The bento experiment.
« on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:45 pm »
Last week at Florida SuperCon, I bought a small bento container.

It's a bit small (380 mL), but not too shabby.  It has a tiny compartment in the lid, which I think is for really thick sauces or dips (more-watery stuff would probably leak, as the black lid isn't as water-tight as the others).  I got it because it was inexpensive and looked nice.

The problem is, I've never made a bento meal in my life.  I did some research here, and got a basic idea of what kind of meals I should go for, to keep from having too many carbs in my homemade meals.

I'm using the bento box, as well as 2 small, dual-compartment Tupperware containers I got at the thrift store (~450 mL each), to make meals for work.  Each meal will also include a small container of plain Greek yogurt.  Since I have an insulated lunchbox and some ice packs, this should work out OK.

For the benefit of the curious, I'll be recording the meals I make and how well they worked out.  I tend to respond well to the Atkins Diet, so I'm going for lots of veggies and proteins, with only a little in the way of carbs, mostly fruit.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
Re: The bento experiment.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:32:04 pm »
This ought to be intriguing... I'm looking forward to the results.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:29:50 pm »
I'm going to have to "cheat" a bit to make a decent meal with the bento container I have now, though, since it's so small.  I foresee a lot of little cups of Greek yogurt in my future...
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »
Greek Yogurt is yummy.

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:56:06 pm »
OK, I've had a few bento.  Yummy.  Here's what I've eaten so far:

Practice Bento: Saturday, 7/7
Container: 380 mL bento container
Contents: Bits of carrot stick, soybeans, veggies, cup of berries and half a weiner.
Verdict:  Not nearly enough protein--really more of a snack than a meal.  Soybeans should be IN something, instead of in a cup on their own.  A bit bland, but not too bad.

Bento: Tuesday, 7/10
Container: 380 mL bento container, small cup Greek yogurt
Contents: 1-egg tamagoyaki, cooked baby spinach with soybeans, chopped carrots and celery, broccoli and cauliflower florets, cherry tomatoes, cup of berries.
Verdict:  This was a pleasant meal, especially since I'd learned from the practice round and made sure to season the veggies a bit.  Spinach was tasty, but baby spinach is a BITCH to drain.  Will need to make that in advance.  The berries had been frozen, but since I was using them to flavor the Greek yogurt, that was just fine.  Will make this bento again!

Bento: Wednesday, 7/11
Container: 450 mL Tupperware, small cup of Greek yogurt
Contents: Cooked baby spinach, more mixed veggies with soybeans, cherry tomatoes, hardboiled egg, pita strips (made from a flatbread), the rest of Saturday's weiner.
Verdict:  Because of my odd schedule, I prepared both this and the previous bento on Tuesday morning.  However, the fridge is acting up, so I had to put it in the freezer.  Yeah, turns out that 6 hours in an insulated lunchbox is NOT enough to thaw out frozen food.  I had to nuke it for half a minute just to get it to be cool instead of solid.  Otherwise, GREAT!!  Very filling, very tasty.  The pita strips got dipped in the yogurt, which was a nice change from yesterday's raspberries.  I will definitely have to make this again when the fridge is fixed.

My fridge is acting up lately, so we'll see how things go for the next few meals.  The freezer works fine, but...well, let's just say I've learned the hard way why you don't freeze raw eggs.  At least I can by them pre-boiled at the supermarket...
--Sanda

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:37 pm »
Thursday and Friday were basically repeats of Tues/Wed.  I made some boiled spinach and onigiri this weekend, to help shake things up a bit.  The onigiri has bits of pickle in it. :3

I'm a bit worried because my broccoli/carrot mix went bad this weekend without me noticing until it was too late.  Now I'll need to see what I can scrounge from the pantry.  This week may be somewhat less healthy than last week.
--Sanda

Offline TheL

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:31:19 am »
I'll report on the meals from the end of this week later (I did break down and go grocery shopping after the misery of Tuesday's meal) but first, think of this as a Thread Intermission:  my bento supplies came in the mail! :3

Here they are with a description of each one (the writing on the brown case says "CUTLERY," in case you were wondering)
Closeup on the chopsticks
Closeup on the utensil case
The chopsticks safety instructions, now with more Engrish!

And for those who are morbidly curious about Tuesday: Crap Bento
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:33:14 am by TheL »
--Sanda