Author Topic: Question about Science & Technology  (Read 1107 times)

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
Question about Science & Technology
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:14:32 am »
This just popped randomly into my head the other day...

I've read that our scientific knowledge and technology progress at an exponential rate, i.e., it takes half as long to make the next advance as the previous one took.

I've also read that we've reached the point where many major scientific and technological breakthroughs take only hours to weeks, where before they tended to take years to centuries.

Given this, is it possible that we'll eventually reach a point where science and technology will proceed at a minute-by-minute or even second-by-second rate, in a never-ending explosion of knowledge?

If so, will we be able to handle it, as a species?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Question about Science & Technology
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:10:20 pm »
Honestly, hour-by-hour alone is probably physically impossible, as planning, developing, and manufacturing all take physical time.

Minute-by-minute and second-by-second are out of the question :P

We probably won't get much faster than our current rate - in fact, I'm guessing there will be a decline soon.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

Re: Question about Science & Technology
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 03:29:22 pm »
Breakthrough is a really hard term to use well.

You have to take into consideration that there may well be thousands of people working on the same general concept at the same time in parallel. Also you need to remember the sheer number of things out there to work on.

Plus even if we are making those ill defined breakthroughs finding uses for them as well as implementing them takes a considerable amount of time.

That said, computer modeling, analysis and various new fabrications methods have greatly reduced the time many things take, but all require investments of their own.