Author Topic: Valueless musicians  (Read 15379 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Valueless musicians
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 07:34:49 pm »
Classical Music does have lyrics it is called oprah. Cosi fan tutti bitches (although that is a terrible example as translating it is basically an 2hours of why bitches are fickle and men are worse).

Besides which from Moonlight Sonata to Popcorn (James Brown) instrumentals definitely evoke feeling.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 07:40:37 pm »
The problem, I think, is that the incentive structure is completely backwards. People who are poor at their job are rewarded. People who are good at their job are either required to be bad or not employed. It's not just style over substance, substance is actively discouraged.

This is why I love Adele.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMrxJfvSnn8

Clear program, almost no lyrics. Tell me it's boring, just tell me.

...yeah, it is kinda boring for me.

Straight up uncultured.

Classical Music does have lyrics it is called oprah. Cosi fan tutti bitches (although that is a terrible example as translating it is basically an 2hours of why bitches are fickle and men are worse).

Besides which from Moonlight Sonata to Popcorn (James Brown) instrumentals definitely evoke feeling.

Don't like Mozart (I don't)? Try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PYt2HlBuyI

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YOYlgvI1uE

You can have a somber classical song, but you cannot have a classical song about being with the one you love at the end of the world.

Oh yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=quartet+for+the+end+of+time&oq=quartet+for+the&gs_l=youtube.3.0.0l10.1308.3222.0.4033.15.15.0.0.0.0.294.1536.10j3j2.15.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.2afTRiM2qX0
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:45:10 pm by Lt. Fred »
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 08:02:14 pm »
I'm not uncultured just because nothing excites me about Yet Another Classical Song.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 09:19:17 pm »
I'm not uncultured just because nothing excites me about Yet Another Classical Song.

Calling Whitacre "yet another classical composer" is a bit like calling the Beatles the same as Metalica.

I love Whitacre because 1) he's alive, 2) he's accessible but 3) he's still really, really good.

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 03:13:18 am »
Fred?  Just stop.  Please.

Not everyone shares your musical tastes.  That doesn't make them uncultured.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 03:34:24 am »
This thread needs more Chris Brown.  He has absolutley no value as a human being full stop.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 08:32:43 am »
This thread needs more Chris Brown.  He has absolutley no value as a human being full stop.

AMEN.

-FDR

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 10:22:34 am »

AMEN.
Something we all agree on. And, I like classical music, I just don't think it can do the same as music with lyrics.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline MadmanJohnson

• Wrath of Primus
  • Pope
  • Able to creep out Deimos.
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 11:27:31 am »
Before you die an agonizing, chainsaw-related death, you're gonna hear about the Hate Plague!
I'm accusing you of being stupid.
I dare to be stupid.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 03:34:51 pm »
"I mean, Jesus Christ, can you imagine Bob Dylan on American Idol? One of the most prolific songwriters America ever produced, and he'd be booted off that [beep] so fast."
-Joe Walsh in an interview on the Bob and Tom radio show.

I will agree there was always crap out there as far as music (and every other form of entertainment) goes. But as consumers (for lack of a better term), it our responsibility to seek out that which is good.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 05:14:58 pm »
I have to disagree. There's no responsibility to seek any form of entertainment because it is "good" by some arbitrary standard. The only standard that matters is "I enjoy it", and even then, it's not irresponsible to buy music you don't enjoy.
Σא

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:41 pm »
I have to disagree. There's no responsibility to seek any form of entertainment because it is "good" by some arbitrary standard. The only standard that matters is "I enjoy it", and even then, it's not irresponsible to buy music you don't enjoy.
There's no responsibility, but we have the right to judge someone for their tastes and treat them how we feel is appropriate.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline That Guy

• Bishop
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2013, 02:54:45 am »

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2013, 03:13:41 am »

If that was directed at me (no quote, so I don't 100% know), it's a logical statement. We are allowed to judge people for things they do, say, support and are interested in, and act how we feel they deserve over that. It's no different than if you look down on someone for liking Epic Movie or Meet The Spartans or respecting someone for liking The Daily Show or, inversely, disrespecting a Fox News fan. Musical tastes say a lot about someone. Would you trust someone's romantic advice if their favorite musicians were Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift and One Direction? I doubt I would.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 03:18:33 am »
I think it was directed at the thread in general.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!