Author Topic: National Elections Thread  (Read 78431 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: National Elections Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 25, 2016, 08:55:56 am »
A buddy commented that the scariest bit about all these neo-Nazis and "totally not a Nazi, we are just Libertarian/Alt-right/whatever" groups is that they are using the kind of terminology that Nazis never dared to use openly until they rose to power... And even afterwards the Nazis tried to use more PC and "dogwhistle" terminology. Trump supporters and the Alt-Right are way past that and they've seen that there is actually no downside to it either.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #421 on: October 25, 2016, 04:20:20 pm »
Because there is no downside.  They honestly think they're the one's in power and nobody wants to tell them otherwise.  In an actual civilized world, if these groups rose to power they'd be treated like the dogshit they are.  Instead they're coddled, given mainstream attention and basically made to be the bees knees at the moment.

Ironbite-if we had an actual media instead of corporate gobblygook, Donald wouldn't be where he is right now.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #422 on: October 26, 2016, 12:45:30 am »
In general, the amusement about the mess of an election has turned into annoyance for me but there are still occasionally things that get some chuckles out of me. Some Republican House candidates are threatening to sue TV stations over DCCC's ads that connect them to Trump's candidacy.

In some of these ads, the connection is as weak as saying “imagine Donald Trump as president” with the candidate supporting him in the House. That’s still too much for the candidates, whose suits include claims that being connected to Trump can cause “substantial and immediate harm” to their campaigns.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #423 on: October 26, 2016, 02:09:01 am »
That campaign was a stroke of genius. If they had kept their mouths shut they would have kept the voters who support Trump but risked losing the ones who don't. By protesting against being linked to Trump they are losing the Trump-fans but it raises the question why didn't they speak against him before...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #424 on: October 26, 2016, 07:52:18 pm »
Holy fucking shit.

http://thedailybanter.com/2016/10/texas-swing-state/

Ironbite-Texas has landed in the Swing State Territory.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #425 on: October 26, 2016, 09:08:02 pm »
Trump, you done goofed!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #426 on: October 26, 2016, 09:59:27 pm »
I wouldn't put any stock in Texas being a swing state. 538's polls plus only gives him a 15% or so chance of losing Texas. To put that in perspective, that is about his odds of winning the whole thing. Guess that is a plus, that Trump losing Texas is as likely as Trump becoming our supreme overlord.

ETA: The real news is that Utah may go third party, being the first state to do so in almost 50 years. Now that is impressive.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:04:59 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #427 on: October 26, 2016, 10:17:44 pm »
Hillary had no chance of winning Utah, but Utah going third party is less votes for Trump which is fine by me.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #428 on: October 26, 2016, 11:27:01 pm »
ETA: The real news is that Utah may go third party, being the first state to do so in almost 50 years. Now that is impressive.

Whatever else you might say about Mormons, they really do walk the walk far more than more mainstream evangelical Christians do.

Another state that McMullin could win (although it's pretty darned unlikely) is Minnesota. He's been endorsed by the same party that got Jesse Ventura elected Governor, and, at least according to one Minnesota Republican I'm acquainted with, the state could well have flipped this election except that they hate Trump. (He finished a pretty distant third in the Republican caucuses--36% for Rubio, 29% for Cruz, and 21.5% for Trump.)

Still, taking Utah's 6 out of Trump's column is far more likely to deny Trump the Presidency than taking Minnesota's 10 out of Clinton's (since it's almost outside the realm of possibility that McMullin could win Minnesota and not Utah) could deny it to her... but there is a chance, however small, that his winning both could deny both of them a majority, throwing the election to the House, which could see House Republicans refuse to vote for Clinton or Trump and settle on McMullin as a compromise (since he'd be in the top three per the provisions of the Twelfth Amendment).
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #429 on: October 28, 2016, 08:51:37 am »
Trump, you done goofed!
Methinks the "deep cover Democrat" conspiracy theories will be exceedingly popular among whatever is left of the GOP after this election.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #430 on: October 28, 2016, 02:34:28 pm »
From one of your lesser elections in USA: http://qz.com/822089/illinois-senate-race-mark-kirk-tried-and-failed-to-make-fun-of-tammy-duckworths-heritage-during-their-debate/?utm_source=qzfb

Funnily enough I think I remember her from a previous incident where her rival complained about her being a phony soldier because she was often wearing an uniform and saying how she is not like John McCain.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #431 on: October 28, 2016, 03:31:56 pm »
So the FBI is reopening the email scandal case under new evidence that somehow turned up. Funny enough that it happens to be eleven days before election day and by Republican James Comey. I don't know if this is going to change anything but it seems to be now a late October/November surprise. But it seems this fucking email scandal is never going to go away.
Ugh this election is giving me an Ulcer.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:45:30 pm by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #432 on: October 28, 2016, 03:46:50 pm »
And wanna know the awesome thing about these "new" emails?

Ironbite-Clinton had already given them up.

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #433 on: October 28, 2016, 03:53:46 pm »
So this investigation is already falling apart on itself?
Or are these news headlines just the media trying to jump at something before they have all of the information.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #434 on: October 28, 2016, 04:01:21 pm »
YEP!

Ironbite-and the GOP pulling out all the stops to stop the fail train that is the Trumptantic.