Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 387694 times)

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #765 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:16 pm »
And now for the FBI explanation for why they didn't talk about this during the election while going public about how they "definitely may have found something on Clinton" and then waiting a few days before going "oops, my bad, we got nothing."

...Are they going to explain that?

No

One theory I heard bandied around (by completely biased but amusing commentators) was that Comey thought he was buying himself some appearance of impartiality. Effectively Comey thought Clinton had an unassailable lead and wanted cover for when he had to start prosecutions of members of the Trump campaign post election. Although this appears entirely too cynical.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #766 on: March 21, 2017, 07:44:13 pm »
And now for the FBI explanation for why they didn't talk about this during the election while going public about how they "definitely may have found something on Clinton" and then waiting a few days before going "oops, my bad, we got nothing."

...Are they going to explain that?

No

One theory I heard bandied around (by completely biased but amusing commentators) was that Comey thought he was buying himself some appearance of impartiality. Effectively Comey thought Clinton had an unassailable lead and wanted cover for when he had to start prosecutions of members of the Trump campaign post election. Although this appears entirely too cynical.
It simply isn't possible to be too cynical with this utterly shambolic shitshow.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #767 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:42 pm »
So, who saw Mick Mulvaney on Face the Nation?

Apparently, we must have a huge prison population up here, since we have universal health care, and the only way to do that is to throw people in jail for not having health insurance.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #768 on: March 22, 2017, 01:16:10 am »
Well we have it and lots of us are descended from convicts.

Retroactive intergerational imprisonment?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #769 on: March 22, 2017, 02:20:33 am »
Well we have it and lots of us are descended from convicts.

Retroactive intergerational imprisonment?

Well, it's definitely why my dad's in prison right now and not receiving, and responding well to, treatment for his multiple myeloma.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #770 on: March 22, 2017, 02:43:44 am »
Further to what I said earlier about Comey - the Majority Report:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBoQtG7t70" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBoQtG7t70</a>

Offline Skybison

• The Beast
« Reply #771 on: March 23, 2017, 08:27:36 pm »
The latest poll e-mailed by the Trump Team

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #772 on: March 23, 2017, 09:27:51 pm »
That is, or should be, an actual fucking textbook definition of leading questions in a survey.  Like, fuck, they couldn't have been more blatant if they'd have made the possibilities:

> I love America and kittens
> I love Hitler and shooting sweet old grannies in the face
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #773 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:37 pm »
This is quite frankly the best title/cover image combination of all time

Coincidentally, the best description I have heard of Trump is from fivethirtyeight, where they call him "A honey badger driving a zamboni," which that image just happens to resemble.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 09:42:56 pm by The_Queen »
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline Id82

• The Beast
« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2017, 05:21:30 pm »
And the healthcare bill failed!
Fuck you guys for trying to push that poison through. I'm glad some Repubs had some major sense in them to keep that shit away from the Senate.

Now Trump is trying to blame the Democrats for not supporting this bill through. Nah Uh buddy, you guys control the house by a large margin. Your party failed to provide the votes for it. This is your fault!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 05:25:38 pm by Id82 »
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2017, 07:21:44 pm »
Seen from a "conservative" (read: regressive/reactionary):

Saw this on Twitter today:

"TRUMP: So, Paul, how's it going over there today? Am I winning or are you losing?"

Got to admit, all policy aside, Trump's ultimatum was a masterful solution to his political problem with the AHCA... although this was largely a problem of his own making. Trump saves quite a bit of face (not all of it, but quite a bit), and Ryan/Congress ends up looking like a complete failure, making Trump all the more powerful on the Hill.

Breitbart comments are saying this was the Trump plan all along to destroy Paul Ryan, which is absurd, but Trump has cannier spur-of-the-moment political instincts than I once gave him credit for. He took the trilemma presented by FiveThirtyEight the other day and kinda did the best parts of all three.

In many respects, AHCA was indeed more conservative than the ACA. Entitlement reforms, tax reforms, and so forth -- all very conservative. But when it came to the core mechanics of health care delivery, which are really the center of the bill, AHCA tried to solve the "three-legged stool" problem by retaining a bunch of unwieldy regulations, backed up by imposing price controls on insurance companies. All in the name of "removing" an individual mandate that was not really removed in any meaningful sense. And where was the effort to seriously extend insurance portability, so you can carry one policy between jobs and into the individual market? You cannot have a successful continuous coverage mandate if there a whole lot of people out there who are incapable of maintaining continuous coverage!

The tax credits system was very conservative, I admit, but in the stupidest way possible. It's like if Paul Ryan wanted to play directly to every single stereotype about Republicans throwing the poor under the bus for the sake of middle-class whites (and the Freedom Caucus, I am sad to say, was all too eager to push him farther). I leave it to Avik Roy to say what I think about all that.

Still, I've come to regret saying that I want an "actually conservative" bill. Parts of the AHCA that were unconservative were terrible... but parts that were, by any standard definition, pretty conservative, were also pretty terrible. Those parts managed to synergize to turn the core of this bill into an unholy, insurance-destroying mess.

So I guess what I want is a carefully thought-through bill that is built on conservative principles of minimal intervention, simplicity, state primacy, and individual empowerment -- but I'm willing to tax and spend quite a bit of money to get there, I don't think it's vital to cut taxes as part of a health care reform, and I want the poor to be not screwed over, all of which are traditionally considered old-school liberal priorities. Both the Huffington Post and Breitbart comment sections would crucify me for my plan. (Guess I'm still a Reformocon at heart, even after the last year.)

Of course, it is worth noting that ACA fans would likely say that their bill does indeed follow the principles of minimal intervention, simplicity, state primacy, and individual empowerment... but I think the ACA does those things in the same way the AHCA does insurance portability. Which is to say, it kinda looks like it might if you don't look closely, but then you do look closely and it's a horror show.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #776 on: March 25, 2017, 01:01:49 am »
At this point the only credible way to claim that Trump is successful is if you believe that he is trying to destroy USA on purpose.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #777 on: March 25, 2017, 01:07:32 am »
Oh, for more fun from this "conservative": he wants Medicaid to become a block-grant system.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #778 on: March 25, 2017, 07:11:05 am »
Oh come on, plenty of Trump supporters claim they love America and Hitler!

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #779 on: March 25, 2017, 09:23:40 am »
Oh come on, plenty of Trump supporters claim they love America and Hitler!

No, don't call them out on their racism. You'll make them feel bad and then the dems will never win again. Haven't you heard anything that the dynamic paragon of reverse anal has told us?
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?