Author Topic: Kidnapped for Christ  (Read 9923 times)

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Kidnapped for Christ
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:46 am »
It does make me wonder if deprogramers who kidnap people from cuts are any more ethical, though.

That's an interesting thought, actually. In a situation involving clear-cut abuse, the ethics are pretty straightforward (in the same way that placing someone in a psychiatric hospital is perfectly ethical if the individual is a danger to themselves or others), but I can certainly see how they might become muddled in some scenarios. It's not always easy to discern between brainwashing and decisions made of ones own free will.

Related is the question of whether deprogramming is even an adequate substitute for the individual choosing to leave on their own & willingly undergoing therapy to deal with any residual trauma.

At the same time, I think we also need to ask ourselves whether or not it's ethical to sit back and do nothing when we've good reason to believe that an individual is a victim cult-related brainwashing and/or abuse.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Podkayne

• Pope
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 06:30:04 am »
It does make me wonder if deprogramers who kidnap people from cuts are any more ethical, though.

That's an interesting thought, actually. In a situation involving clear-cut abuse, the ethics are pretty straightforward (in the same way that placing someone in a psychiatric hospital is perfectly ethical if the individual is a danger to themselves or others), but I can certainly see how they might become muddled in some scenarios. It's not always easy to discern between brainwashing and decisions made of ones own free will.

Related is the question of whether deprogramming is even an adequate substitute for the individual choosing to leave on their own & willingly undergoing therapy to deal with any residual trauma.

At the same time, I think we also need to ask ourselves whether or not it's ethical to sit back and do nothing when we've good reason to believe that an individual is a victim cult-related brainwashing and/or abuse.
Hey, thanks for giving my post due consideration!  :-*
Don't make vague, generic threats, or else!

Offline Nightmare172

• Neonate
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »
Well, I feel sickened now. Thanks for that, people who do shit like this. You've ruined these kids lives.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2012, 03:57:02 pm »
Many of the parents didn't even research the school's history. They just saw some pictures of it on the internet and shipped their child there.

Why would you not check out a place you're planning to send your child?  That makes no sense!
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:44 pm »
Oi, I recall that thread. Spotted this old post of mine:

If I weren't so lazy or worried about backlash against gay rights movements, I'd set up a satirical site about a school that would "Make the Straight Abate" ala "Pray the Gay Away" programs, for parents who follow the religion of Gay Jesus. Although I doubt your average fundie would be capable of seeing the point I'd be trying to make.

Or maybe one about an atheist boot camp for parents of Christians.

... and found that I'm still tempted to do this. Problem is, I'm even lazier now than I was back then.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:44 am »
Oi, I recall that thread. Spotted this old post of mine:

If I weren't so lazy or worried about backlash against gay rights movements, I'd set up a satirical site about a school that would "Make the Straight Abate" ala "Pray the Gay Away" programs, for parents who follow the religion of Gay Jesus. Although I doubt your average fundie would be capable of seeing the point I'd be trying to make.

Or maybe one about an atheist boot camp for parents of Christians.

... and found that I'm still tempted to do this. Problem is, I'm even lazier now than I was back then.

Why pass up a perfect trolling opportunity?

Is this going to be a ultra fugly website made with Microsoft Publisher on a free webhost?
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2012, 05:16:01 am »
Damen, TGR - I'm with you regarding destruction of these abominations...

However, I'd go a step further.

I'd like to set up atheist equivalents. Boot camps for fundies. Force common sense into them via waterboarding. OK, yes, I know, it's just a wild, impossible dream.
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:18 am »
I'd like to set up atheist equivalents. Boot camps for fundies. Force common sense into them via waterboarding. OK, yes, I know, it's just a wild, impossible dream.

What about a camp where they are required to live by OT laws? (Jesus did say he didn't come to destroy the Law. The only OT Law that the NT seems to clearly remove is the dietary ones.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:03 am »
Send me to boob camp.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2012, 06:03:10 pm »

• The Beast
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »
Yay.

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)