Author Topic: Catholic writer annoyed some people don't capitalize the g in god  (Read 9051 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
He's actually really upset about it

TL;DR: whiny baby throws hissy fit in article, goes to Twitter to continue said hissy fit, tries to claim catholic opreshun

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
Re: Catholic writer annoyed some people don't capitalize the g in god
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:57:45 am »
Dear goddess above. What a condescending piece of trash article.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:06:08 am »
And not a single shit was given.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:44:21 am »
Considering "god" isn't even his name, but what he is, I see no need to capitalize it.

Also I haven't even bothered reading the link.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12:55 am »
I stopped capitalizing it out of disrespect more than anything. Not to those who are religious, but to the depiction of a raging asshole god.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:46:00 am »
I dont capitalize because....what the fuck do i care?
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 10:37:43 am »
because when we use the word ‘God’ it stands for a person.

No. Not even according to conservative theology, God is not a person, not a mortal, not at all. And I "capitalized" the "g" there for the sake of nothing, which is what God is.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:48:36 am »
god, what a whiny, pretentious douchenozzle.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:26 am »
Did anyone else tune out after "Catholic annoyed"?

Cuz that takes so much fucking effort to achieve...
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 11:38:36 am »
Yeesh! Annoyed over nothing!

I may capitalize the "G" in "God" but to me, "God" is just a general term for "The Supreme Being" rather than "The Big Abrahamic Guy In The Sky". I use both capitalized & non-capitalized. In the big scheme of things it's small potatoes. Often I'll spell it "Godde" to make it more androgynous. Of course, I simply just write "Deity" and leave it at that.

This guy who wrote the article would have a conniption over soggy cornflakes and that small hole that appeared in his sock.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 03:33:33 pm »
I capitalize God when talking about the specific Judeo-Christian deity, lowercase when speaking about the concept ("Zeus was a Greek god"). This is less out of respect than the fact it just happens to be a proper noun, and my brain is annoying about that.

I refuse to capitalise "him" when referring to God, though, because fucker doesn't deserve special grammar. I also find the insistence that God be referred to by male pronouns hilarious.
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 03:46:41 pm »

I see what you did there.

And I approve.

I capitalize God when talking about the specific Judeo-Christian deity, lowercase when speaking about the concept ("Zeus was a Greek god"). This is less out of respect than the fact it just happens to be a proper noun, and my brain is annoying about that.

I refuse to capitalise "him" when referring to God, though, because fucker doesn't deserve special grammar. I also find the insistence that God be referred to by male pronouns hilarious.

They say that YHWH created Man in his own image.  Then created woman from man.  In short, that's probably their justification for the insistence on God being the protomale, and thus why they believe men are superior to women, for those sexist fucknuggets.

That being said, the fact that they insist on him being male, and absolute insist that using the feminine gender is heretical... makes me believe that YHWH, as they see him, was created in their image...

A fact which I'm sure a lot of people here quite wholeheartedly already believe.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:13:41 pm »

I see what you did there.

And I approve.

They say that YHWH created Man in his own image.  Then created woman from man.  In short, that's probably their justification for the insistence on God being the protomale, and thus why they believe men are superior to women, for those sexist fucknuggets.

That being said, the fact that they insist on him being male, and absolute insist that using the feminine gender is heretical... makes me believe that YHWH, as they see him, was created in their image...

A fact which I'm sure a lot of people here quite wholeheartedly already believe.

"God is this terribly enormous omnipotent being, beyond the realm of human comprehension.  We can't even begin to hope to understand Him, and our human minds can never grasp His true form.  But we're definitely sure He has a penis."

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »
Is this issue of concern to god/God?  As much, say, as the sexual activities of homo sapiens ?
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

wrightway

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »
Pretty sure god, if there is a god, doesn't give a flying horse fuck about what annoys his toys.