Author Topic: Vatican endorses Exorcists  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Vatican endorses Exorcists
« on: July 04, 2014, 02:37:22 pm »
http://www.joemygod.blogspot.com/2014/07/vatican-formally-endorses-exorcism.html

The blog is already quoting part of an article so I'll just summarize it up:

The Vatican has formally recognized the International Association of Exorcists, a group of 250 crackpots in 30 countries who "liberate" the naive from "demons."

Yay for the endorsement of torture, and yay for probably perpetuating the myth that people who are mentally ill are demon possessed.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Vatican endorses Exorcists
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:44:32 pm »
Wow.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 04:29:30 pm »
The Vatican has always endorsed exorcisms as far as I know. That said, I remember their policy being along the lines of only trying an exorcism on a person if everything else has failed(like therapy and medicine). The number of priests "certified" to perform exorcisms is rather small if I remember right. Exorcisms of buildings and objects are more common I think, and are often heard of as being used to stop a "haunting" and drive out the ghosts.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's still stupid, but the church was at least somewhat sensible about it as far as I knew. And at least exorcisms usually aren't as bad as "Re-birthing "therapy"". Extra quotation marks for emphasis.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:20 pm »
The Vatican has always endorsed exorcisms as far as I know. That said, I remember their policy being along the lines of only trying an exorcism on a person if everything else has failed(like therapy and medicine). The number of priests "certified" to perform exorcisms is rather small if I remember right. Exorcisms of buildings and objects are more common I think, and are often heard of as being used to stop a "haunting" and drive out the ghosts.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's still stupid, but the church was at least somewhat sensible about it as far as I knew. And at least exorcisms usually aren't as bad as "Re-birthing "therapy"". Extra quotation marks for emphasis.

i got the info from the vicar of st. sernin basilica (catholic, toulouse, france). the vatican actually HAS on call a brigade of exorcists. they are trained psychiatrists as well as having training in self-defence. church rank is give-or-take vicar, they are clergymen. when the vatican (or a local church) gets a call about demonic possession, they send in these guys to try and dispel the notion of demons (that's why they're shrinks. to actually diagnose schizophrenia or other mental illnesses), and if that fails yes they do an exorcism which involves fasting for a day, staying up all night in prayer, and chanting stuff in latin...

the vicar i talked to cracked up at that last part, because he knows full well that that's a pure placebo effect. but apparently the exorcist he knows is a really nice guy. whatever works, i guess. the funniest thing is that for once i commend the church on their progressive stance.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 06:12:56 pm »
Well, of course they need to endorse the Exorcists!

How else will the Millenium Earl be vanquished once and for all?
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 06:16:19 pm »

i got the info from the vicar of st. sernin basilica (catholic, toulouse, france). the vatican actually HAS on call a brigade of exorcists. they are trained psychiatrists as well as having training in self-defence. church rank is give-or-take vicar, they are clergymen. when the vatican (or a local church) gets a call about demonic possession, they send in these guys to try and dispel the notion of demons (that's why they're shrinks. to actually diagnose schizophrenia or other mental illnesses), and if that fails yes they do an exorcism which involves fasting for a day, staying up all night in prayer, and chanting stuff in latin...

the vicar i talked to cracked up at that last part, because he knows full well that that's a pure placebo effect. but apparently the exorcist he knows is a really nice guy. whatever works, i guess. the funniest thing is that for once i commend the church on their progressive stance.

That sounds good, but I'm not sure this organization is anything like those exorcists.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 08:26:11 pm »
The link in the OP seems to have suffered a critical existence failure.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 08:53:51 pm »
The link in the OP seems to have suffered a critical existence failure.

It's working for me.
Σא

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 02:22:32 pm »
when the vatican (or a local church) gets a call about demonic possession, they send in these guys to try and dispel the notion of demons (that's why they're shrinks. to actually diagnose schizophrenia or other mental illnesses), and if that fails yes they do an exorcism which involves fasting for a day, staying up all night in prayer, and chanting stuff in latin...

Indulging the client's delusions by doing the exorcism only encourages them to rebuff the earlier evidence-based intervention. I wouldn't laud the exorcists' medical credentials when it's very clear they aren't practicing medicine.

Propping up medieval fears of demonic possession is the exact opposite of progressive. It's a relic of the dark ages.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 07:22:01 pm »
when the vatican (or a local church) gets a call about demonic possession, they send in these guys to try and dispel the notion of demons (that's why they're shrinks. to actually diagnose schizophrenia or other mental illnesses), and if that fails yes they do an exorcism which involves fasting for a day, staying up all night in prayer, and chanting stuff in latin...

Indulging the client's delusions by doing the exorcism only encourages them to rebuff the earlier evidence-based intervention. I wouldn't laud the exorcists' medical credentials when it's very clear they aren't practicing medicine.

Propping up medieval fears of demonic possession is the exact opposite of progressive. It's a relic of the dark ages.

just to be clear, the exorcism happens perhaps once for every 250-300 calls. and unfortunately, yes, some people still do believe in demons, even if the church doesn't believe in them anymore

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 09:55:44 pm »

just to be clear, the exorcism happens perhaps once for every 250-300 calls. and unfortunately, yes, some people still do believe in demons, even if the church doesn't believe in them anymore

PZ Myers said it best:
"Somebody somewhere is going to have to someday point me to some intelligent arguments for gods, because I’ve sure never found them. And I know, someone is going to complain that I always pick on the weak arguments…while not bothering to tell me what the strong ones are."

Maybe they wouldn't believe in demons if the church didn't try so hard to convince them that demons exist...

Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 11:05:41 pm »
Maybe they wouldn't believe in demons if the church didn't try so hard to convince them that demons exist...

i don't like religion as much as the next godless commie atheist, but i think that jab was uncalled for. to my knowledge, the three major monotheisms called bull on those decades if not centuries ago (XIXth century, i believe), so all that is left is the tiny cults and radical offshoots. the vocal minority, if you will.

for kicks: now picture that vocal minority screeching BEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLZZZZZZEEEEEEEEEEBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUBBBBB!!!!

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:29:57 am »
Um, I would venture to say that any Christian that believes in angels also believes in demons.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 01:39:12 am »
Um, I would venture to say that any Christian that believes in angels also believes in demons.
ANGELS. AREN'T. REAL, ERIKA. </Cecil>

(all angels are named Erika, with a k. And they don't exist, of course.)

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 10:50:43 pm »
Well, of course they need to endorse the Exorcists!

How else will the Millenium Earl be vanquished once and for all?

MILLENIUM EARL?! WHERE?! *Has Alan Walker on Speeddial*

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!