Author Topic: Why King James?  (Read 16513 times)

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
Re: Why King James?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:20:13 pm »
Well one of the reasons that I have been told is that the KJV is the "original" and "accurate" version. That is, it is the oldest English translation of the Bible from Latin. many put their faith in this text and claim that newer translations or versions of the Bible are corrupt. This isn't correct by the way but many argue that the KJV is the closest they can get to the Bible being "true."

This. Basically, people want to use the oldest version they can read, but are usually too lazy to learn other languages. So they will latch onto and defend the one they can with the most intense zeal they can.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:58:46 pm »
My high school English teacher once said the KJV was the only good thing to come as the result of a committee. :D I think it's just because it's got a poetic sound and we've heard that version for years and furthermore it sounds more pretentious. I mean, which sounds better, this:

1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

or this:

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
   for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk
   through the darkest valley,
I will fear no evil,
   for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
   they comfort me.

It just sounds more poetic. Actually, if you read it as archaic poetry and not as sacred text, it's actually quite calming.

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:03:39 pm »
The second one sounds way better. "Maketh me to"? Was that EVER proper English?

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 11:23:14 pm »
The second one sounds way better. "Maketh me to"? Was that EVER proper English?
Yes, it was, and it flows better when read. Seriously, read the two out loud. The second one is more of a mish-mash of words.

I dislike a lot of modern re-writes because all I see the old passages worth for is as old-style poetry.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:11 pm »
I have heard that some people believed KJV to be the original version. XD

I guess reading the original versions would be difficult as you would need to know Hebrew, Aramaic, and Classical Greek and understand that the difficulty translating any of those. Heck, it's difficult translating Classical Greek into Modern Greek.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »
The second one is more of a mish-mash of words.

...No, it reads like an actual fucking sentence. I mean, it's not going to be winning any awards any time soon, but it beats "maketh me to lie down" by a longshot, & as for the rest of it, I don't see how it's so fucking artsy to replace s's with th's.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 12:18:11 am »
I think that the Bible should be translated by non-Christian scholars of ancient Hebrew and Greek so that as little bias as possible leaks through.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline e13

• The Beast
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:31 am »
The second one is more of a mish-mash of words.

...No, it reads like an actual fucking sentence. I mean, it's not going to be winning any awards any time soon, but it beats "maketh me to lie down" by a longshot, & as for the rest of it, I don't see how it's so fucking artsy to replace s's with th's.
It's not artsy, it's about word flow. The KJV bible was designed not only with translation in mind, but the placement and order of the words to facilitate the same cadence as most poetic sonnets. The intention, at the time, was to use the speech of their times, organize it in a well spaced manner, so as to make speaking and reciting the language a pleasurable experience. Most modern translations do not take this much time or consideration, being far more concerned with finding a more accurate translation - which in and of itself is as futile as finding proof of Gawd - than trying to make the reading one that meshes with the language of our times. Say what you will about the merits of using ancient English for modern times, but I'd rather read and speak something that sounds a little old and has some bounce to it, than something that sounds and reads as about exciting as a science text book.

I also don't see why you have to use such harsh language when we're debating the merits of using out of date English. It's hardly worth getting angry over.

Offline Lithp

• The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 01:26:44 am »
And I hardly see how it's worth getting so pretentious over, but here we are.

Also, it flows about as well as my stool.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 01:52:43 pm »
Hoo boy... Lithp, what are you doing?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »

I guess reading the original versions would be difficult as you would need to know Hebrew, Aramaic, and Classical Greek and understand that the difficulty translating any of those. Heck, it's difficult translating Classical Greek into Modern Greek.
The NT is written in Koine/Common Greek, not Classical Greek :-P

My 2 cents to the poetics question as a non-native English speaker: Taking the samples smurfetteprinciple posted, I think I would like something between them best. Ending the verbs with -th just looks screwy, and 'valley of the shadow of death' is at least one particle too many. On the other hand, 'I lack nothing' is so much 'I shall not want''s inferior it's not even funny.
So: take the best of both worlds and be satisfied with it.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 08:27:25 pm »

He wants to start shit.

And Lithp, it's not that the KJV replaced "s" with "th."  It's that English, in the centuries since, has replaced all those "eth"s with "s".
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:47 pm »

If by some you mean quite a lot, then yes, you are correct. I know of people who believe English is God's language and whites are God's people. And that the calender is the way it is because Jesus said so in the Bible, and that was a high school girl that said that (she also always talks about why the rest of the world has such weird names for place).

We need an exasperated eye roll smiley bad.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 11:35:34 pm »
I thought the KJV was a big deal because it was one of the first books in what is considered modern english

Offline e13

• The Beast
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 11:58:40 pm »
Baiting, apparently. I do appreciate the wonderful imagery in his choice of words.  :)