Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 23403 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Brexit
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:33 pm »
Brexit: when anti-establishment sentiment goes too far.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 02:48:05 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/scotland-considers-second-referendum-vote-1.3650596

Sturgeon: "As things stand, Scotland faces the prospect of being taken out of the EU against her will. I regard that as democratically unacceptable. I think an independence referendum is now highly likely."

Basically, the UK would take another blow right when they're already going to be hit by leaving the EU, and Labour would find it much harder to form government since they've typically needed Scottish seats to do it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/

Specifically:

England: 46.8% remain, 53.2% leave
Scotland: 62% remain, 38% leave
Wales: 48.3% remain, 51.7% leave
Northern Ireland: 55.7% remain, 44.3% leave

But notably, London voted to remain (59.9%).

So let's make this an analogy, those are always fun.

Someone somehow manages to table a nationwide referendum to make Fundamentalist Mormonism the official state religion of the USA.  It gets put to the vote, gets shot down by a majority in 50 states with only Utah voting for it (with a convenient 62-38 majority).

Utah screams about the unfairness of the vast majority of the population not going along with their decision and decides to leave.

A: Do we give a fuck?
B: Why do we give a fuck?

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2016, 02:49:32 pm »
Lets kick out Wales and Cornwall while we're at it and foist Norn Iron back on their ginger cousins.  This is a perfect opportunity to divest ourselves of some hangers-on.

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 05:37:25 pm »
Also this

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 08:23:27 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/scotland-considers-second-referendum-vote-1.3650596

Sturgeon: "As things stand, Scotland faces the prospect of being taken out of the EU against her will. I regard that as democratically unacceptable. I think an independence referendum is now highly likely."

Basically, the UK would take another blow right when they're already going to be hit by leaving the EU, and Labour would find it much harder to form government since they've typically needed Scottish seats to do it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/23/leave-or-remain-eu-referendum-results-and-live-maps/

Specifically:

England: 46.8% remain, 53.2% leave
Scotland: 62% remain, 38% leave
Wales: 48.3% remain, 51.7% leave
Northern Ireland: 55.7% remain, 44.3% leave

But notably, London voted to remain (59.9%).

So let's make this an analogy, those are always fun.

Someone somehow manages to table a nationwide referendum to make Fundamentalist Mormonism the official state religion of the USA.  It gets put to the vote, gets shot down by a majority in 50 states with only Utah voting for it (with a convenient 62-38 majority).

Utah screams about the unfairness of the vast majority of the population not going along with their decision and decides to leave.

A: Do we give a fuck?
B: Why do we give a fuck?

Except it's exactly backwards. Brexit is entirely motivated by press-led bigotry in English regional areas. They're willing to lose access to labour and export markets to stick it to those smelly wogs on the continent. The Scottish don't actually care about English bigotry, they already don't like government by fiat from London and, I'm pretty sure, quite like the idea of being part of a multicultural Europe. England can have its little silly isolated poor society in the middle of nowhere, and the Boris Johnsons of this world can run it, as they were born to do.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 10:56:56 pm »
Lets kick out Wales and Cornwall while we're at it and foist Norn Iron back on their ginger cousins.  This is a perfect opportunity to divest ourselves of some hangers-on.
Sure, kick them out. England's economy hangs on finance and services that were strategically placed because you were in the EU. What are you gonna do, open the coalmines again?

Boot out Wales and watch the Welsh join the EU and a shitload of London bankers relocate to Cardiff.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 11:17:27 pm »
Sure, kick them out. England's economy hangs on finance and services that were strategically placed because you were in the EU. What are you gonna do, open the coalmines again?

Boot out Wales and watch the Welsh join the EU and a shitload of London bankers relocate to Cardiff.

Nah, London'll declare independence, join the EU and take the Queen with them. The rest of you can become a republic*.

*By which, of course, I mean the kind with a reasonably sensible system of government, and not a "how drunk were you when you thought this up, because this system is really bad" system of government.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:20:07 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 02:15:35 am »
Remember all those times we said that the money that is going to EU should be used to improve the public healthcare system in Britain? Remember that? Oops, we didn't actually mean that.

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/24/the-morning-after-the-brexit-v.html

No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2016, 02:35:54 am »
Wow, what a self-serving cunt, to lie like that and now your fucking country has shot itself in the goddamn foot.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2016, 02:45:21 am »
Cameron should say, "Fuck it, another Brexit referendum tomorrow."
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2016, 03:00:23 am »
I am learning so many Scottish insults from all the people who wish to correct Trump after he claimed that Scotland had voted to leave EU: http://imgur.com/gallery/bW0og
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2016, 03:25:33 am »
I am learning so many Scottish insults from all the people who wish to correct Trump after he claimed that Scotland had voted to leave EU: http://imgur.com/gallery/bW0og

Scotland has the best insults they're great they're terrific, absolutely amazing insults, let me tell you they're absolutely tremendous.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2016, 07:17:51 am »
Tiny fingered cheeto faced ferret-wearing shitgibbon...

That is poetry!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:52 am »
My favorite is mangled apricot hellbeast.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2016, 01:44:48 pm »
Also this

Pfft.

You and France couldn't handle Germany by yourselves -- twice. What makes you think the long since mighty British Empire will amount to anything more than a fart in a wind storm this time around?