Author Topic: SCOTUS: Warrant needed for GPS tracking  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
SCOTUS: Warrant needed for GPS tracking
« on: January 23, 2012, 11:35:47 pm »
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57363918/high-court-warrant-needed-for-gps-tracking/

And it's unanimous, no less. Means that there isn't much room for doubt, at least for a while. First sane decision I've seen from the SCOTUS in a while. Hopefully the start of a trend.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Re: SCOTUS: Warrant needed for GPS tracking
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:06:15 am »
FUCK YEAH!

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:37 am »

"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:27:38 am »
Huh. I'm kind of surprised, especially since (when you get down to it), GPS tracking is just the modern-day version of tailing a suspect. (As long as the suspect stays in public, no warrant is needed. If the suspect goes somewhere private, you just wait for them to come back out.)
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:41 am »
It should be noted that the decision is only for GPS devices placed on a person’s vehicle.  It does not cover, nor answers and questions regarding the use of cell phone or other types of tracking.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:01:19 am »
I think where I'm at you always had to do get a warrant to track someone's vehicle.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:07:37 am »
Huh. I'm kind of surprised, especially since (when you get down to it), GPS tracking is just the modern-day version of tailing a suspect. (As long as the suspect stays in public, no warrant is needed. If the suspect goes somewhere private, you just wait for them to come back out.)

Except tailing a suspect takes continuous manpower, and police wouldn't do it long term unless they *really* knew the guy was up to something.  As in probable cause enough to get a warrant.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:53:10 pm »

Except tailing a suspect takes continuous manpower, and police wouldn't do it long term unless they *really* knew the guy was up to something.  As in probable cause enough to get a warrant.

I know. Sorry, I didn't fully explain my though process.

You can tail someone without a warrant, so long as the person is in public (i.e. a place where an officer has a valid right to be). When it comes down to it, there is no difference (legally)* between tailing a person with a car and putting a GPS on their vehicle. In both cases, all that the police know is where the suspect is. A GPS actually provides less information, because the police cannot see what the suspect is doing, only that the suspect (or the suspect's car, anyway) is at a given location.

*OK, not anymore. The USSC has spoken. But that is the argument I have heard.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

I know. Sorry, I didn't fully explain my though process.

You can tail someone without a warrant, so long as the person is in public (i.e. a place where an officer has a valid right to be). When it comes down to it, there is no difference (legally)* between tailing a person with a car and putting a GPS on their vehicle. In both cases, all that the police know is where the suspect is. A GPS actually provides less information, because the police cannot see what the suspect is doing, only that the suspect (or the suspect's car, anyway) is at a given location.

*OK, not anymore. The USSC has spoken. But that is the argument I have heard.

The other problem with that argument, though, is that tailing a suspect doesn't require law enforcement officials to attach any foreign device to the suspect's car.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen