Author Topic: Bangladesh building collapses in Dhaka - 100 + dead  (Read 4659 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Re: Bangladesh building collapses in Dhaka - 100 + dead
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 08:47:29 pm »
Edited your post. It was a bit much

It was meant to be. It was in a national newspaper here and it was a lot bigger. They should make it into a poster and put it opposite every stockmarket on the planet so everyoe knows the real price of capitalism and who's paying it.

Yes, post pictures of the deceased everywhere in an attempt to be anti-capitalist. Because that's not being an asshole at all.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 12:14:39 am »
wyvern999 has a right to post their opinion expressing hatred of capitalism. The picture is graphic, yes, and the spoiler tag is standard for this forum outside of the disturbing images thread, but the fact that this photo was on the front page of a major newspaper says something in itself; the people who died no longer can speak for themselves, yet their image conveys just how serious this problem that lead to the tragedy is. It's an ugly, disturbing image, but it has to be seen to wake people up to action.

As a socio-economic system, capitalism has as many serious faults as state communism, as feudalism, as theocracy, as dictatorship, as plutocracy, as really any system that gets over-centralized with too much power in the hands of too few people. It's as old as humanity; the powerful take advantage of the "weak", and justify it with w/e their personal brand of relativistic justification may be.

I've been a small business owner, and an employee. I appreciate the system, but I don't defend the extreme tactics and callousness that seem to go hand-in-hand with the rise in size and scope of companies, especially when they deem themselves too big to fail, and too important to not have direct influence in politics for their own benefit, at the expense of workers and consumers.

As far as wyvern999's comment about placing that billboard in front of every stock market? Actually, a good idea. Why? Because this is the twenty first century, and it's about time that we stopped ignoring the Victorian Era/Randian Romanticist business practices of a huge number of companies and their owners. There are too many Kochs in this world, and they are still untouchable it seems, even when their choice of how to conduct their business directly or indirectly leads to tragedies like Dhaka, Bhopal and the frightening decimation of the polar ice caps.

It's funny that we use the internet to post pet shaming pictures, but the idea of posting a picture of horrible consequences to shame the truly awful, disdainful, egomaniacal business people is bad? Okay...let's put a billboard with a picture of a Gates Foundation vaccination project next to it, along with a billboard congratulating Elon Musk for his all-electric car, the Tesla S sedan, getting a Consumer Reports rating of 9.7. It has a 200 mile range, with a base price of an average Lexus, and he has plans for an economy priced car with even better range in the very near future. Capitalists that want to get rich making things that are of good quality, useful and needed still exist, thankfully, and they generally manage not to get anybody killed in the process.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 01:15:40 am »
It's not about whether he has the right to post such a thing. You can convey a point without using pictures of dead bodies.

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 01:44:35 am »
Gotta agree with Magus. We need to have standards or we're no better than the filth we post on the quotes.

That said, I wouldn't complain if those who put those people in that situation ended up with life in front of the firing squad, at least.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline wyvern999

• Apprentice
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 08:59:11 am »
It's not about whether he has the right to post such a thing. You can convey a point without using pictures of dead bodies.

(click to show/hide)

What has most impact a description of the picture above or the picture itself? Why do you think photographers take these pictures in the first place? Convey a point? WTF is that supposed to mean? We're talking about a thousand dead people here not peoples delicate sensibilities. We have to see the results of what we do and not censor it because we don't like what we are seeing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:25:20 am by Magus Silveresti »

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 09:55:01 am »
Do you know why we have things like NSFW tag and trigger warnings?

We put them as a courtesy because the images/text might shock someone or simply be too visceral for the current location they are in. And that image of corpses you posted certainly fits that.

What you did was basically "HEY LOOK AT THESE BLOODY CORPSES!" and even if you were well intentioned it was a bit shocking and also immoral. You are basically using those bodies as a tool to push your agenda, exploiting the dead. I am not denying that what happened in Bangladesh was a tragedy or that the company involved is responsible due to their lack of concern and safety as they focused on profits. I am simply saying that your way of trying to combat that amoral capitalism is also wrong.

Showing pictures of bloody corpses in other peoples faces without a warning is no different from what PETA and some anti-abortion groups do.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 11:20:13 am »
Wyvern?  I'm getting tired of your shit.

You were specifically asked to stop doing so and blatantly did so again to prove a point.  I had to put that one behind a spoiler, just like Hof did for the last one.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 11:21:46 am »
Way to be totally mature and post another picture after your first one was fucking spoiler'd by a mod, you asshole. Like askold said, I'm not denying that the building collapse was an utter tragedy. Of course the company should be held accountable for it, and measures should be taken to prevent such an occurrence in the future. But using dead bodies to convey your point (you know damn well what that means) is pretty fucking low, and you should be ashamed.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 12:23:05 pm »
Wyvern, you were lucky that Magus and Hof were being light on you, so be happy that you didn't get an official warning for this. We are not going to put up with shit like this for too long; so stop and I mean STOP posting pictures (without putting them behind a spoiler tag at least) like the ones that you posted because not everyone wants to see that. It is too disturbing for others and there may be people on this board where such images can trigger something due to an event that happened to them. Understand?
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 01:09:31 am »
So now the Bangladeshi government is planning to raise the minimum wage for garment factory workers: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/05/12/bangladesh-garment-worker-pay-raise.html. (Warning: some may find the images in the article disturbing.)

Bangladesh's government plans to raise the minimum wage for garment workers after the deaths of more than 1,100 people in the collapse of a factory building focused attention on the textile industry's dismal pay and hazardous working conditions.

A new minimum wage board will issue recommendations for pay raises within three months, Textiles Minister Abdul Latif Siddiky said Sunday. The Cabinet will then decide whether to accept those proposals.

Working conditions in the US $20 billion industry are grim, a result of government corruption, desperation for jobs, and industry indifference. Minimum wages for garment workers were last raised by 80 per cent to 3,000 takas ($38) a month in 2010 following protests by workers.

On the other hand, there was the one woman they found alive.

On Friday, the search teams received a much-needed morale boost when they found a seamstress who survived under the rubble for 17 days on dried food and bottled and rain water.

More than 2,500 survivors were rescued soon after the collapse, but until 19-year-old Reshma Begum was found the crews had gone nearly two weeks without discovering anyone alive.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 02:21:05 am »
The problem with raising min wage sadly is race to the bottom kicks in  :-\
 American business will then say fine and set up in an even shittier country.