Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1512919 times)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2730 on: July 04, 2013, 11:18:01 pm »
I bought State of Decay. I'm not going to go into a full review or advertising pitch, but it's the best zombie game ever made in my opinion, and is the fastest-selling XBL Arcade game ever for a very good reason.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2731 on: July 05, 2013, 05:10:38 am »
I decided to start up a new game of the first Gothic. It all came flooding back to me as to why I love that series. The controls are a tad convoluted, but my god, the world and lore are fantastic. It's dark fantasy done right. Not just regular fantasy where everyone's racist and swears a lot, but the whole world is the sort of place where might makes right, honour is a meaningless concept and simply just surviving a fight with all of your limbs attached means you had a very good day. I have to say, it's one of the most immersive games I've ever played.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2732 on: July 05, 2013, 05:29:07 pm »
I might also add that Gothic came out around the same time as Morrowind and...

...had a complex world with lots of NPCs that all HAD SCHEDULES AND ACTUALLY LIVED LIVES.

So whenever anyone defends Morrowind's absolutely lifeless and bland NPCs (which is funny because people like to praise Morrowind for having better NPCs than Skyrim, which confuses me) by citing technical limitations, I just want to slap them.  Even FUCKING ARENA had a semblance of life what with shops closing at night and NPCs thinning out.

Also, I once pointed out that Morrowind had more repetitive dialogue than Skyrim did, and someone defended it by saying that it was an "older game"

Uh, no.  Literary standards have not changed.  Morrowind's dialogue is easier to change than Skyrim's because it's 99% text.  Age is NOT an excuse since there were no actual technical limitations in place.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2733 on: July 05, 2013, 05:43:39 pm »
I bought Sonic Adventure DX for 2.33 it's not a great game but I needed to buy it since my gamecube disc is fail

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2734 on: July 05, 2013, 05:59:13 pm »
I bought Sonic Adventure DX for 2.33 it's not a great game but I needed to buy it since my gamecube disc is fail

If you're you're talking about the PC port of that game (which is very likely since your Gamecube DX has a dead disc), check the community for patches. It makes the port more tolerable. There are enough bugs in that game that makes it almost as bad as '06 (and I haven't even played that game, only heard horror stories about it).

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2735 on: July 05, 2013, 06:23:31 pm »
Sonic has always been a glitchy series (Though personally it seems they tightened up on quality control since the travesty known as 06)

...Crap now I want to pop in my Sonic Adventure 2 Battle disc.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2736 on: July 05, 2013, 06:27:53 pm »

If you're you're talking about the PC port of that game (which is very likely since your Gamecube DX has a dead disc), check the community for patches. It makes the port more tolerable. There are enough bugs in that game that makes it almost as bad as '06 (and I haven't even played that game, only heard horror stories about it).
No I think I'm playing the port of the 360 port but I''lll check pc gaming wiki since the camera is awful and the keyboard controls are abyssmal. 
SA2 had a good story although they ruined it by bringing shadow back although crush 40 made some good music about him
has a falshback to Shadow the hedgehog ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2737 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37:38 pm »

I like Shadow the Hedgehog.  Both the character and the game.

Shadow gets a lot of unnecessary hate by counter-culturalists >_>

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2738 on: July 05, 2013, 07:00:04 pm »

Completely agreed.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2739 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:08 pm »

...had a complex world with lots of NPCs that all HAD SCHEDULES AND ACTUALLY LIVED LIVES.

So whenever anyone defends Morrowind's absolutely lifeless and bland NPCs (which is funny because people like to praise Morrowind for having better NPCs than Skyrim, which confuses me) by citing technical limitations, I just want to slap them.  Even FUCKING ARENA had a semblance of life what with shops closing at night and NPCs thinning out.

Also, I once pointed out that Morrowind had more repetitive dialogue than Skyrim did, and someone defended it by saying that it was an "older game"

Uh, no.  Literary standards have not changed.  Morrowind's dialogue is easier to change than Skyrim's because it's 99% text.  Age is NOT an excuse since there were no actual technical limitations in place.
I can't say I really have a problem with Morrowind on that front. That game's about having a massive world with a stupid amount of cities and dungeons to explore in which you can simply fuck about to your heart's content. In light of that, overly complex NPC's aren't all that necessary and if anything would take away from other aspects of the game. Just look at the sheer number of them, giving their individual routines more than two or three steps per day a la Gothic would take a hell of a lot of development time. Gothic isn't so much about exploration and simply doing your own thing, there's a lot more emphasis on the story and world, so naturally more detailed NPC behavior takes a higher priority.

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #2740 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:32 pm »

The good power which sped you up was an absolutely terrible idea for multiple level ends throughout the level considering the level design usually never let you go backward.

SA2 had a good story although they ruined it by bringing shadow back although crush 40 made some good music about him
has a falshback to Shadow the hedgehog ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Sonic Adventure 2 is probably my favorite sonic game(mostly for the chao garden) but going back and playing it when it was released on Steam...holy shit was the animation and some of the voices bad.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 11:35:43 pm by syaoranvee »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2741 on: July 06, 2013, 12:54:11 am »

I can't say I really have a problem with Morrowind on that front.

My biggest problem with it is that the NPCs don't even have a day/night cycle.  They literally stay in their exact radius forever, no matter the time.  They don't even go home during the night.  Or for NPCs that stay home, they stay in their home forever and never even sleep.  This makes being a thief either very easy or very hard, depending on which.  At least with Oblivion you can count on NPCs leaving their houses during the day or sleeping at night.

They didn't even need a routine, just... a "enter home at night, sleep when it's late, leave house during the day" routine.

If people can accuse Bethesda of being lazy with Skyrim based off of a few things, I can accuse Bethesda of being lazy with Morrowind because of this.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2742 on: July 06, 2013, 06:22:50 am »
Boyfriend made me play this mmo called tera.

Its like a korean pedophiles wet dream.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #2743 on: July 06, 2013, 06:25:55 am »
Boyfriend made me play this mmo called tera.

Its like a korean pedophiles wet dream.
Why?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2744 on: July 06, 2013, 08:28:32 am »
You haven't seen some of the character designs have you?