Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514015 times)

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #2880 on: July 18, 2013, 06:44:37 am »
Bought quite a number of games during the sale, at the moment I'm playing The Ship.

The Ship is game of assassination, you are given another player to kill, have minutes to do so, and at the same time have another player who's goal is to kill you.  Each kill gains you a set of cash, rounds end when a player reaches the cash cap (Seen 50,000 so far).  It's quite a decent game, panic quickly sets in that everyone around you could potentially be trying to kill you while at the same time trying to figure out who your target is (You don't know names right off the bat of people walking around). Example

Also, apparently Deadly Premonition is on greenlight.

Yeah, I used to be pretty good at that. Unfortunately, wi-fi issues mean I tend to suffer bad lag spikes now.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2881 on: July 18, 2013, 06:49:31 am »
Oh Chitoryu, not sure if you have Shogun 2. But I found this mod for optimizing.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?486474-Shogun-2-Overhaul-Project-(Performance-HD-Texture-High-End-Models-Game-Engine-Enhanced-Rendering-Quality)-Project-Version-10-0

Not as drastic as the empire mod, but its pretty good either way
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #2882 on: July 18, 2013, 03:35:38 pm »
Oh Chitoryu, not sure if you have Shogun 2. But I found this mod for optimizing.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?486474-Shogun-2-Overhaul-Project-(Performance-HD-Texture-High-End-Models-Game-Engine-Enhanced-Rendering-Quality)-Project-Version-10-0

Not as drastic as the empire mod, but its pretty good either way

Nah, Empire is the only one I've got so far. Picked up a retail copy at Walmart back in like, 2010.

And now I've reinstalled New Vegas!
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2883 on: July 19, 2013, 09:46:09 am »
Normally, Gothic II is a difficult game (at least with the Night of the Raven expansion). Up until the halfway point, your character is extremely soft and squishy and deals very paltry amounts of damage. This is of course playing a physical attacker, such as a melee fighter or archer/crossbowman. Granted, around midway through you reach a point where all but the strongest mobs are a threat, but it takes a good amount of effort to reach said point.

As it turns out, it's so much harder playing a fire mage. For a long time, your magic is too weak to do more than slightly soften up your target, meaning your good old fashioned fighting prowess is what has to carry the day. Naturally, you'd think leveling your fighting abilities just a bit to hold you over until your magic isn't as weak would be a good idea, but that's a beginner's trap. Learning points are extremely valuable and not only is high level runecrafting extremely expensive, but also additional mana gets more and more expensive as you further level it up. This means that unless you're very careful to spend only on your magic abilities, you simply won't be strong enough to deal with the end game. So you have to just have to be very strategic about how you use your very limited magical prowess, and then hope you've weakened them enough to be able to clumsily put them down via melee. But that's not all. Runecrafting requires blank runes, of which there are only half as many in the game as there are possible spells. That means, you need to be very careful to only craft runes that you'll actually need, and to be especially conservative about crafting low level runes, as you want as many 5th and 6th circle runes as you possibly can.

I have to say, I love it. For a second play through, the additional challenge and more complex character building is pretty much perfect. For all it's weird controls and laughably bad voice acting, Gothic 2 has to be my favourite RPG by quite a wide margin.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2884 on: July 19, 2013, 11:14:09 pm »
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125180296

Another game to be greenlit.  It's a point and click adventure game with RPG elements, made by the same people who remade (with permission) the first three King's Quest games, and also made a remake for the second Quest for Glory game, which was the only game to not have one (and they had the outright blessings of the original devs for this).

This is one of their original games coming out soon.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2885 on: July 19, 2013, 11:42:18 pm »
Last night, I had made the mistake of reading You Tube comments on some guy's (Mike Matei, who works with James Rolfe, a name you should know) review of Fez, yet that also lead to a startling discovery I've made earlier today:

Fez is based off a game named Sky Island, to where resemblances are all too uncanny.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LmJg2rXhDk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LmJg2rXhDk</a>

This is Sky Island.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1wg8fNPd0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S1wg8fNPd0</a>

And this is Fez.

People are already claiming Fez is a "ripoff" of Sky Island (it's easy to say for reasons I've already offered), but from what I've observed from those two games, it's almost like comparing an orange to a persimmon (like for instance, there are no enemies in Fez, or a time limit, and it's based on exploration rather than traditional level completion). But then again, this is nothing new, as there have been a great many games before that took ideas from others and expanded even greatly upon their original formula, but all this is just so bare-faced.

Once again, I've also heard that Phil Fish, the developer of Fez, is a douche. I've never heard or cared about him until just yesterday and some of the things he said, shared by these people, are so shockingly stupid to where I'm so embarrassed I've got that game during this Steam Summer Sale (at least I got a really good deal from it) and sent money to a clueless, pretentious doorknob.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:44:17 pm by Alehksu Kihdo »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #2886 on: July 21, 2013, 01:22:28 am »
Well steam sale is winding down so let me see my haul
Rayman Origins
DMC 3 and 4
Arkham Asylum
final fantasy VII
Civ V gold upgrade
Ys
Final hours
And tomb raider anniversary

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2887 on: July 21, 2013, 01:57:55 am »
Uh, why did you quote yourself?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2888 on: July 21, 2013, 04:00:05 am »
Tried to edit and got the wrong button?

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #2889 on: July 21, 2013, 04:21:42 am »
Im just gonna delete the second since its obviously a mistake.
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2890 on: July 21, 2013, 10:14:39 pm »
That awkward moment when, on the Minecraft server you're playing on, you're more powerful (outside commands) than the server admin.

Seriously, I have fucking quantum armour, and my admin is still in piecemeal iron armour.  I'm about as close as you can get to being a fucking god; I'm almost completely invincible, my only limitation is the amount of power my armour's got.  My next step shall be to create a nano sabre, the only thing capable of piercing my armour.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2891 on: July 21, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »
My brother sent me the Valve Complete Pack yesterday, and since I already own Portal and Portal 2, I have copies of the games sitting in my inventory. Anyone want them?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2892 on: July 21, 2013, 10:22:24 pm »
PORTAL AND PORTAL 2 PLEASE!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #2893 on: July 21, 2013, 10:23:03 pm »
PORTAL AND PORTAL 2 PLEASE!

What's your Steam ID?

E: nm, saw your post in the Steam thread. Accept my invite and I'll send them to you.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:29:58 pm by Mlle Antéchrist »
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2894 on: July 21, 2013, 11:31:35 pm »
God damn it!  Minecraft.net went down, and right as I was in the middle of wiring up our wind turbines and solar panels.  So much power not being put into the system because somebody just had to crash...Mojang.

I swear, the mod authors (especially the Forge team) know more about working with Minecraft than the people who actually made the fucking game.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.