Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514392 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #4140 on: January 25, 2014, 03:37:48 pm »
I want a new Star Fox game.  I don't care which Nintendo console it's for (I lied, I sorta want one for the 3DS that isn't a remake of a previous game) I just want one.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4141 on: January 25, 2014, 09:19:15 pm »
I'd like to see them create a Mario game that's actually new and exciting. Not the usual retro-style series of disconnected generic platformer levels, but something like Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Sunshine. A game that feels like a grand adventure of sorts, with some actual creativity put into the overall aesthetic and, hell, the entire game for that matter.

Better yet, I'd like to see them create a brand new franchise. See if they can still do that.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #4142 on: January 25, 2014, 09:33:51 pm »
I'd like a new Halo game that....isn't Halo.

Meaning, the Halo series has basically rehashed identical gameplay and almost identical content every time a new major title has been released. ODST was supposed to make you a regular human in the war instead of a super soldier, but it was still a game about a super soldier. You were in different armor and supposedly had no power armor or augmentations, but the game played almost identically and you could still make gravity-defying floaty jumps and tear miniguns off their mounts to hip fire them. I got bored with the series after the second, because it became painfully obvious that it wasn't changing. I got Halo 4 for free with my new 360, and it's STILL exactly the same. They just change some guns, vehicles, maps, and multiplayer widgets and call it a new game.

I'd like a Halo game where you really ARE just a human pawn in the whole thing. A game where the Grunts and Jackals are exactly as tough and deadly as you are, where Elites and Brutes are terrifying monsters, and you don't pilot a tank by yourself. Also, scale the damage so it matches the (way more realistic) novels: a single burst of MA5B fire can take out an Elite's shields, rather than dumping your entire magazine into one enemy, but he can turn and kill you with one shot from literally any gun he's holding.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4143 on: January 25, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »
I'd like to see them create a Mario game that's actually new and exciting. Not the usual retro-style series of disconnected generic platformer levels, but something like Super Mario Galaxy or Super Mario Sunshine. A game that feels like a grand adventure of sorts, with some actual creativity put into the overall aesthetic and, hell, the entire game for that matter.

Wasn't Sunshine bashed for trying new things with FLUDD?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4144 on: January 25, 2014, 11:20:34 pm »

Wasn't Sunshine bashed for trying new things with FLUDD?

From what I know, people either loved it or hated it. Personally, I enjoyed it. Not the best Mario ever, but still a very decent entry in the series.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4145 on: January 25, 2014, 11:22:45 pm »
True.

I'm just one of those weirdos who likes both experimentation and tradition style games, I guess XD

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #4146 on: January 26, 2014, 12:30:59 am »
Well, since the TGWTG thread is long dead, I'll mention it here: Justin "JewWario" Carmical died Thursday night. I did not see this coming and the circumstances of his death are even more surprising. Having met him at MAGFest this year, I would have never seen it coming.
Who needs a signature?

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4147 on: January 26, 2014, 12:35:41 am »
The only person who knows why he killed himself is his wife :'(

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #4148 on: January 26, 2014, 12:51:29 am »
I have never been an TGWTG fan, but I've heard it earlier today. That's so fucked up and tragic at the same time.

Like, he shot himself on the other side of the door when his girlfriend was talking him out of it in vain.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #4149 on: January 26, 2014, 01:27:49 am »
Wife actually.  He was only 42

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4150 on: January 26, 2014, 01:28:49 am »
My heart goes out to his friends and relatives.   :'(

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #4151 on: January 26, 2014, 08:27:14 am »
In cases like this I always am reminded of a story I read in high school although I cannot remember the actual title of it.  It told of man who many of the people around him were envious of his having everything he could ever want thinking about how easy his life must be and then at the end of the story we find out this man commits suicide for unknown reasons, his having everything and great life not being able to stop his inner personal turmoil.
I guess the moral being that people can look outwardly fine while having real issues unknown to everyone.

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #4152 on: January 27, 2014, 08:41:20 pm »
In cases like this I always am reminded of a story I read in high school although I cannot remember the actual title of it.  It told of man who many of the people around him were envious of his having everything he could ever want thinking about how easy his life must be and then at the end of the story we find out this man commits suicide for unknown reasons, his having everything and great life not being able to stop his inner personal turmoil.
I guess the moral being that people can look outwardly fine while having real issues unknown to everyone.
Boom headshot found it!

Richard Cory by Edward Arlington Robinson

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean-favoured and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good Morning!" and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich, yes, richer than a king,
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine -- we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked and waited for the light,
And went without the meat and cursed the bread,
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet in his head.

Ladies and gets behold a mod that almost ruined Doom for me, Hideous Destructor.

This ruined Doom in two ways: no balance, the BFG is ruined.

The mod author ruined the BFG. This is a statement of fact.

The BFG revives monsters, even when gilbed, seemingly at random. You are given no warning about this in the readme for the mod but are given the option to start with a BFG and full ammo. Usage creates “sprites”, you will sometimes see them as random flashes of green light. Use the ‘iddt’ cheat at your AutoMap, these sprites are rapidly moving invisible entities that circle around you. The more you use the BFG the more sprites are created and the faster they revive anything. Those dead marine corpuses placed through level editing will get up and shoot you dead. The corpses of your dead buddies in corporative or death match will get up and shoot you dead. No corpses? No problem! A flying skull block is created at a random distance away from you, it attacks with the strength of a Baron.

This makes for some hilarious griefing though. Ammo in in Hideous Destructor works differently, you have a bar and inventory. TL:DR 6 cells max inventory, 1 bar is 2 cells. No backpacks exist to extend your limit. Firing the BFG takes 1 bar thus 2 cells. Left click makes you drop a cell depleting most of the bar, right click recharges the bar. Infinite ammo, cells to share with your buddies too! But there is a fun catch, each cell dropped spawns up to two sprites. Use the iddt cheat to see this.

For maximum lulz:
Set up a co-op server, survival with limited lives.
Levels cannot be exited until all monsters are killed.
Large map. Clusters of imps and an arch-vile or two for the lulz.
A BFG for yourself or everyone!
Nothing stays dead! Doom lives up to its title!

Balance? Wut dat?
You maximum health is less than 100, cannot go above 100. Regenerating health though.

A healer imp can resurrect almost anything. Warrior imps through homing fireballs that rapidly burn you to death. You cannot roll to put yourself out, you have to shake your mouse back and forth like a spastic. Three imps are a siege, more is doom.

Arch-viles cannot be killed and fucking no clip.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:57:37 pm by The Illusive Man »
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #4153 on: January 28, 2014, 03:24:29 am »
I really wish Skyrim had an option to murder Ulfric Stormcloak and take his place as the leader of the rebellion. What a power-hungry douche.

'course, my character is a thief, murderer and all around amoral opportunist, so I shouldn't be judging.

Boom headshot found it!

Really, dude?
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4154 on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:43 am »
I really wish Skyrim had an option to murder Ulfric Stormcloak and take his place as the leader of the rebellion. What a power-hungry douche.

And yet he's practically worshiped by some real life Stormcloak loyalists.

Though everyone I've met who sides with the Stormcloaks dogmatically tend to be conservative christian republican fundies.  Doesn't mean all of them are, but the ones I've met have consistently taken hard right-wing attitudes.

Which just makes me loathe Ulfric more.