Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1512693 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6270 on: November 30, 2015, 04:52:28 pm »
Ooh, Ravy, what game is THAT in? :D  I want to know what game allows people to more-or-less make a SUN.

In personal gaming news, I recently got one of those Zelda-themed "Adventure" carriers for 3DS.  Absolutely love it!  The included "adhesive" screen-cleaner has a rubber backing of the type that clings quite firmly to smooth plastic (like the casing of a game console) but not to anything else--which makes it about as handy as a screen-cleaner can possibly be, since you just peel it off the back of your 3DS, wipe down the screens, and slap it back on.  There's an elastic "pocket" under the flap that holds 2 game cartridges and the 2 included styluses.  Since I have the original-model 3DS, I could even fold up the AC charger and pack it in there too, for travel.  There's definitely enough room for it. Plus, the styluses are full pencil-length, which makes them easier to hold (and it's hard to not feel awesome about playing your games with the Master Sword).

Basically, it looks and feels like it's worth the $20 I paid for it.  The only thing there is at all to complain about is that the way the stylus-storage works causes them to peek out from beneath the carrier flap, and that kinda ruins the aesthetic.

Still very nice, and certainly a plausible belt-pouch for a Link cosplay.  Just don't store anything too heavy in it; it's faux-leather, so it'll split and look nasty if you put it under too much strain.  (This isn't a concern if you're just using it for games, of course, because a 3DS is pretty damn light.)  Folks who work with leather could do worse than to make an exact copy of the case for cosplay purposes, is what I'm saying.  (Or maybe 2 or 3, depending on how many quest items you're carrying around.  Can't let that ocarina shatter, after all.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:02:34 pm by TheL »
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6271 on: November 30, 2015, 08:48:04 pm »
Minecraft, actually.  Specifically, the ReactorCraft mod by Reika.  It basically adds very realistic fission (pebble bed HTGR, normal U-235, and liquid-metal fast breeder reactors) and fusion (tokamak) reactors.  Its an addon for his other mod, RotaryCraft, and is basically the end of the endgame, especially the tokamak.  It makes more power than even a large server could ever feasibly use barring insane edge cases.  Yes, its realistic in both technology required to setup and control the reactor as well as the obscene level of output you can get from one.  I got it built on my server, if you want an invite and link to the addon pack I'm using, lemme know.  Always looking for new players!

[ETA]

I'm almost done.  I can't believe it.  The poloidal magnet (round thing in the centre) is operational, all magnetic containment pipes (the gold-lined pipes encircling the reactor) are charged to the point of insanity, the toroid magnets (the round things forming a ring around the poloidal magnet) are in place and full to bursting on coolant, the boilers and neutron absorbers are in place and ready to go, steam transport is established and two high-pressure turbines are on standby to begin operation, and the heating unit (the white structure on the right) is complete and awaiting the touch of the heat ray to begin producing fusion plasma.

I don't know what to do after this...this is the ultimate technological achievement.  I could terraform entire dimensions with this power.  I could level continents, drain oceans...run a farm that spans the entire planet, anything.  I have, at my disposal, power beyond the dreams of avarice.  If this thing works after all this...I don't know what I'll do afterwards, but I will never have to worry about power ever again.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:52:10 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6272 on: December 01, 2015, 03:23:37 pm »
Holy fuck.  That is an incredible Minecraft mod!  (I was thinking Minecraft, but didn't think the program could handle that sort of thing.  I stand corrected.)

I'd play, but I've got enough massive time-sinks in my life as it is right now. :)  Finally got both Portal games during Steam's sale, along with the Stanley Parable (which is just wonderful, and the narrator sounds like Eric Idle without actually being Eric Idle).

I've also finally gone back to finish Skyborn, which is a really fun steampunk-themed JRPG.  It's very old-school (probably made with RPG Maker) and has simple pixel graphics reminiscent of Chrono Trigger, but the illustrations for cutscenes are gorgeous.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6273 on: December 01, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »
Tis cool.  If you ever find yourself wanting to hop on in the future, just lemme know.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6274 on: December 01, 2015, 09:02:44 pm »
IT LIVESSSSSSS!  Its badly contained, but IT FUCKING WORKS.  GENTLEMEN, BEHOLD!  FUSION!

(click to show/hide)

Also, mind the plasma beam.  It'll fry your ass if it hits you, no save, no nothing.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6275 on: December 02, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »
Replaying BioShock. That opening is still one of the best in gaming.

I am Andrew Ryan, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? 'No!' says the man in Washington, 'It belongs to the poor.' 'No!' says the man in the Vatican, 'It belongs to God.' 'No!' says the man in Moscow, 'It belongs to everyone.' I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose... Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well.

Anyway, just past Medical Pavilion, having just faced my first Big Daddy (and took it down only dying once! Yay!)

Is Bioshock 2 worth it? I know its pretty much non-canon now, thanks to the revelations in Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6276 on: December 02, 2015, 04:16:56 pm »
I'd say Bioshock 2 is quite worth it. Not as good as the first but has plenty of great moments.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6277 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »
I don't think Bioshock 2 is non-canon... I mean Infinite was all about the different timelines and travel into other potential realities.
(click to show/hide)
So Burial at sea would be just another one of those possible timelines. (I confess that I've only seen a bit of the start of it so I'm not actually certain about this but I would assume that according to canon that game is simply another alternative timeline of what could have happened instead of the original timeline.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #6278 on: December 02, 2015, 04:50:30 pm »
Yeah this is a pretty big spoiler for episode 2 of Burial at Sea, so you know, don't look unless you really want to.

(click to show/hide)

I have 2 installed on my Mac anyway, so i could easily play it when i have the time
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:42:53 pm by IanC »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6279 on: December 02, 2015, 06:04:12 pm »
Okay, apparently my fusion reactor is working fine, the "plasma death beam spillage" is just a video desync thing.  I now have a different problem...what do I do with all this power?  I could prolly run 8 high-pressure turbines (for reference, my fission reactor can't run more than one) at a full 8.59GW...but what do I do with the power?  What does one do with the power of the sun at his fingertips?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6280 on: December 02, 2015, 06:19:38 pm »
Well considering what page we're on...

Ironbite-smoke weed everyday

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6281 on: December 02, 2015, 06:38:10 pm »
If you've really got nothing to do with all of that power, maybe find a similar mod whose endgame is something that requires utterly stupid amounts of power rather than produces it? That'd probably give you something to do.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #6282 on: December 02, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »
Okay, apparently my fusion reactor is working fine, the "plasma death beam spillage" is just a video desync thing.  I now have a different problem...what do I do with all this power?  I could prolly run 8 high-pressure turbines (for reference, my fission reactor can't run more than one) at a full 8.59GW...but what do I do with the power?  What does one do with the power of the sun at his fingertips?

at the risk of sounding american, can you weaponize it? if so, go on a genocide. i hate creepers.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #6283 on: December 02, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6284 on: December 02, 2015, 08:02:04 pm »

at the risk of sounding american, can you weaponize it? if so, go on a genocide. i hate creepers.

I could...and believe me, I'm considering it.  RotaryCraft gives me laser turrets, the only downside is that they can obliterate terrain...and I dunno how to make them discriminate friend from foe.  Still, that's only a couple hundred megawatts a piece, and I've probably got several dozen gigawatts of power available, at the very least.

As for things that require ludicrous amounts of power...I'm not really sure if there's anything that needs anywhere near what even a single HP turbine can output in terms of power, even when pushed well beyond the point of absurdity.  The most difficult-to-power thing I can run on all forms of power I can create would prolly be the mining laser, and that only requires a paltry 5,000 RF per tick.  A single HP turbine outputs well over 16 million RF per tick.  I suppose I could use the output from a bank of those to make a gigantic thing.  I am working on dominating a dimension known for being extremely dangerous (the Twilight Forest)...hm.  Mass produce steel blocks for building, power automate chiseling machines to give me pretty building blocks, defend it with Draconic Evolution mob grinders discreetly tucked away somewhere...  Wouldn't begin to scratch the surface of my power, but it'd be a start.

Yeeeeeeeeees...instead of digging like some savage ape, I could make things to do it FOR me.  Level something the size of a small city and start building.  A castle, a village...wrought from fucking steel, with no other purpose than to simply have one.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:05:12 pm by RavynousHunter »