Author Topic: Tabletop Game Thread  (Read 64475 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Tabletop Game Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2015, 03:40:19 pm »
A Sling is also good in that you can use it both for hunting and for combat. Obviously if your opponent is wearing an armour he will be protected quite well but against unsuspecting opponents even a hunting sling will do serious damage and even kill.

Meanwhile hunting bows and crossbows are not the type that will work in combat any better than the sling and they are much heavier/cumbersome.

Spear can also be used as a walking staff, hunting weapon and in combat.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2015, 03:41:42 pm »
While waiting to see Creed, I ran a Rocky vs. Apollo match with Friday Night Fights, a tabletop boxing game:

http://shonsgamecorner.blogspot.com/
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2015, 04:48:22 pm »
A Sling is also good in that you can use it both for hunting and for combat. Obviously if your opponent is wearing an armour he will be protected quite well but against unsuspecting opponents even a hunting sling will do serious damage and even kill.

Meanwhile hunting bows and crossbows are not the type that will work in combat any better than the sling and they are much heavier/cumbersome.

Spear can also be used as a walking staff, hunting weapon and in combat.

i've never felt comfortable walking in the forested foothills of the pyrénées with a walking stick, i need something at least 6ft long. and because i'm scared of boars, i make sure that it's sturdy and very pointy at one end. i also try and fire the tip if it's possible (usually is).

you forgot one thing about bows. they're hell to walk with in forests and bushes, and there's always that one bush to tip over your quiver. ugh. it's so annoying that my friends and i string our bows at the last minute once we're in the field that has become our shooting ground. only problem is the 200 odd metres of light forest heavy bush separating the field from everything else.

that ranger archetype of using a crazy long bow in the treetops? as fictionnal as vancian magic.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2015, 12:37:39 am »
If I had the time, money, space etc. I would certainly like to play some miniature wargame.

Do you like Star Wars? If so, try out X-Wing. Relatively low cost and a deceptively simple rule set. The starter kit runs for $40 and comes with two TIE Fighters and an X-Wing and enough stuff to run the game at around 40 points when you want to move away from the learning rules. Standard play is 100 points, which can be as few as two expensive ships and still be competitive.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2015, 03:40:38 am »
But if I'm playing Star wars I can't shout random German words when my Volksturm troops get ripped apart by .50BMG tracer rounds or when my sniper shoots the silly "Amerikaner" flametrooper and his flamethrower explodes taking out 2/3 of his squad.

...Just like it happened on Saturday.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2015, 04:22:48 pm »
No, but you can fly a swarm of 8 TIE Fighters against Rebel terrorist scum that are hell bent on dismantling the galaxy's legitimate government.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2015, 01:15:50 pm »
My Only War campaign idea is currently on hold because I got tricked into being the GM in a game of Mutant year zero.

Basically a post apocalyptic RPG where the players are mutants from a small dying community and try to rebuild their small haven, learn about their past and perhaps even cure their sterility and create a future for their kind... But mainly they are just trying to survive and that's not easy either.

Kinda like mixing themes from Metro 2033, Fallout and Dwarf fortress.

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2015, 10:09:47 pm »
four more sessions of my current campaign. turns out that (according to the dice-rolls), my pot-bellied medic was a sniper with first-aid knowledge, seeing how he keeps acing headshots and crapping out on medic rolls. the thirteen year-old girl is slowly getting the hang of bar-crawling for clues and causing mayhem, the charlatan got his testicles hit so hard they scrunched into his torso, and the over-the-hill merc broke his arm, so out of expediency got it lopped off and swapped out for an augmetic job. we also managed to find a few clues, and the charlatan's dogs. and by a few clues, i mean, sufficiently to get blacklisted from the technology-cult that hired us and from the militia. oh, and then, we got an assassin thrown at us, that managed to survive all seven of us (one dmpc, 2 dogs, and the team) wailing on it like it owed us money (probably does), before sprinting away like.... well, like it owed us money, really.

so now, we're in a theocratic city under lockdown due to a terrorist threat (most likely our mainquest), and the only clue we've got is that we're on the right track and we know too much. unfortunately, we don't know what we know.

as players, we're in the dark, and we love it. we spend a good bit of time character-building, the team is knitting up well, and we actually managed to get some very cinematographic scenes in. like the merc, business-like clotheslining a fleeing pickpocket without looking, the medic standing on a street corner, cigar smoke wafting over him, shaking his head at the horrifically bloodthirsty sermon the town mayor is giving, the girl playing a kazoo and generating a brawl in a betting office to steal the gains of the person at the till, the charlatan using gunpowder and dyes to simulate demonic possession...

that's what i mean by cinematographic. all it takes is one sentence for you to imagine the scene. even though you were never there. we live for those moments as a roleplaying team. and the gm is very generous when it comes to giving opportunities for that. helps that he's a semi-professionnal cinematographer. but man oh man, my gm is so self-conscious, always worrying about doing a good job. doesn't help that since all the older characters are jaded and somewhat genre-savvy, their catchphrase is "what a crapsack day". but really, he is.

it's become less "simon pegg meets humphrey bogart", and more "leaning on the fourth wall to not go crazy from the horror we endure". cthulu meets oots, with a big helping of shadowrun and 40k.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2015, 10:34:07 am »
The first session of my Post apocalyptic RPG went decently well.

Two people cancelled, one because he forgot and started to angst and complain that he won't join because he is so bad at scheduling things that we would be better off with another player. ...And the other got Migraine which is understandable excuse for missing a session.

Now their merry band of mutants has an angsty loner Stalker with lizard features, gang boss who can control other humanoids with his mind like puppets, "The Doge Man" who acts as the team medic and as the second in command in the previous character's gang and a Chronicler/entertainer called "Ozzi" with a dream of finding the legendary "leather mouse" and biting it's head off for fame an glory (As I was explaining all the things that he can do with his mutations and mentioned that he has a powerful bite attack this Ozzy Osbourne idea was born.)

...And they live in a mall with approx 200 other mutants but their food and clean water are running out so the team is on a recon mission to find a source of pure water. ...And the previous team that had a "perfectly reliable lead" of such a location but have not returned.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2016, 11:44:50 pm »
I picked up the new Tau starter box because I hadn't picked up any of the new Battlesuits or Fire Warriors. Games Workshop actually included the rules for the units (though not the drones) in the instructions. That is some of the most uncharacteristic kindness I've ever seen from Games Workshop.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:02 am »
So, I just got a bunch of warhammer 40k stuff that a guy left here. not sure what all it is. If I post pics is there anyone who can tell me? I genuinely wanna get into the game.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2016, 01:06:35 am »
Post away. I'll identify to the best of my ability. I should at least be able to tell you what faction it is.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2016, 01:27:04 am »
Believe they are Space Wolves. Sorry of the pictures are a bit shit.  Also, note, I was not the one who painted the ones that did get painted.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:38:04 am by Svata »

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2016, 01:27:58 am »
more, and a group shot. Okay, maybe not a bunch, but still, you know what I meant.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:29:40 am by Svata »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2016, 01:43:31 am »
Definitely Space Marines. The pictures are too blurry for me to tell if they're a specific type of Marines (though I can probably safely assume they're not Space Wolves or Chaos, they don't seem to have furs or spikes on them, respectively). The Land Raider (the big tank at the top of the group shot) and the Dreadnought (the giant robot) are pretty nice finds, though, seeing as they're a couple of the most expensive models in the Space Marines range (seriously, Land Raiders are $74), which is the entire reason my Space Wolves don't have a Land Raider themselves and their Dreadnought was cannibalized from the 5th Edition starter kit (which it appears you may have the Marines from that kit as the guy in the middle of the fourth pic looks like he might be the Assault on Black Reach captain).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:52:41 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?