Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2070700 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #5310 on: September 14, 2013, 05:29:53 pm »
There's this one guy I know of who's been getting on my nerves lately because he keeps making the following claims:

1) That the "atheist fundie" is a myth because all examples he's seen are the result of "religious people and apologetics projecting onto atheists"

2) That all religions have to survive by striking the fear of hellfire and damnation in to the hearts of their constituents, otherwise they would more or less "bleed out population until they had nothing." (my phrasing).  Every single one of them.

3) That places like r/atheism are a breath of fresh air because "they don't bother with the pretension of tolerating religion"

4) That nobody should complain about the lack of gay/bi options or characters in video games because "The whole point of video games is to be someone else" (my phrasing again) and that it's okay for games to cater towards nothing but straight people because "they're the majority".

5) That he shouldn't have to actually study religion to criticize it, because "it's all bullshit anyways."  Yet he tries to criticize them like he's got all the knowledge in the world.

For reference's sake, this guy seems to religiously diligently read books by Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, and Harris, and spends most of his time in r/atheism when he's not bothering the hell out of me.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5311 on: September 14, 2013, 06:49:18 pm »
Heh... I really hate how Dawkins seems to brainwash people and act like atheism's Pope.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #5312 on: September 14, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »
Damn, what an idiot. I'll admit that I'm not very friendly to religion either, but I've actually read books like the Bible and the Koran. And while fear is certainly an important part of religion, especially organized religion, it is far from the only part. it would have died out a long time ago if that were the case. And really, is he so sure he's read Dawkins right? Cause I'm a huge Dawkins fan as well, and I don't recall him ever getting so... extreme. Hitchens I can se doing that, but Dawkins, I'm not so sure about.

In fact, let me express annoyance at this guy and his ilk as well. They are the biggest threat to the atheism movement, not religious fundamentalists. They make atheists look like fools, giving credence to the idea that its "just another religion".
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #5313 on: September 14, 2013, 06:58:28 pm »
Apparently my emotional responses to food have done a 180. I used to overeat out of anger, now I can go a whole day without food and not feel hungry because somebody pissed me off.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #5314 on: September 14, 2013, 07:11:40 pm »
Dawkins is very hit or miss. I liked most of The God Delusion, although I felt that "There is almost certainly no god" is a bit too strong a statement, but he's gone on to say some stuff (particularly in regards to Islam) that has veered into "judgmental prick" and "reactionary twat" territory. He's also said some rather questionable stuff about social issues, albeit to a far lesser degree than guys like TheAmazingAtheist and Thunderf00t.

Apparently my emotional responses to food have done a 180. I used to overeat out of anger, now I can go a whole day without food and not feel hungry because somebody pissed me off.

*hugs* I hope you feel better soon.

Can you try forcing yourself to eat something light, like soup and crackers? It might help awaken your appetite. Even if it doesn't, you'll at least get some food in you.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #5315 on: September 14, 2013, 07:22:50 pm »

*hugs* I hope you feel better soon.

Can you try forcing yourself to eat something light, like soup and crackers? It might help awaken your appetite. Even if it doesn't, you'll at least get some food in you.
I managed to eat some Nutella on toast without feeling terrible. Part of the problem is that I frequently get told I'm a "fucking fat pig" at the-neighbors-can-hear-you volume if I eat "too much" of something/a food item another family member wanted. That and I'm on my meds again, which upset my stomach.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #5316 on: September 14, 2013, 07:29:47 pm »
Damn, what an idiot. I'll admit that I'm not very friendly to religion either, but I've actually read books like the Bible and the Koran. And while fear is certainly an important part of religion, especially organized religion, it is far from the only part. it would have died out a long time ago if that were the case. And really, is he so sure he's read Dawkins right? Cause I'm a huge Dawkins fan as well, and I don't recall him ever getting so... extreme. Hitchens I can se doing that, but Dawkins, I'm not so sure about.

In fact, let me express annoyance at this guy and his ilk as well. They are the biggest threat to the atheism movement, not religious fundamentalists. They make atheists look like fools, giving credence to the idea that its "just another religion".

Dawkins's twitter as well as his blog and facebook tend to be very stark examples of how gross he can be.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline SimSim

• Lover of Good Beer and Bad Movies
  • The Beast
  • I have a cunning plan
« Reply #5317 on: September 14, 2013, 07:47:48 pm »
Okay. Who fed Mogwai after midnight and let him in to my house? My overhead fluorescent light in the kitchen seems to be randomly working and not working.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #5318 on: September 14, 2013, 08:00:05 pm »
My oven takes 2 hours to pre-heat.

What the actual fuck?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5319 on: September 14, 2013, 08:12:40 pm »
For reference's sake, this guy seems to religiously diligently read books by Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, and Harris, and spends most of his time in r/atheism when he's not bothering the hell out of me.

Still catching up on Dennett and Harris, and I merely spend most of my reddit-browsing time on r/atheism. I'm glad to hear you've been mulling over wisdom gleaned from Our Holy Dawkins-ness (from on high, vicar of Russell, blessed be his name, etc).
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

shykid

« Reply #5320 on: September 14, 2013, 08:23:47 pm »
That nobody should complain about the lack of gay/bi options or characters in video games because "The whole point of video games is to be someone else" (my phrasing again) and that it's okay for games to cater towards nothing but straight people because "they're the majority".

This is your brain. This is your brain on heteronormativity. ...any questions?

5) That he shouldn't have to actually study religion to criticize it, because "it's all bullshit anyways."  Yet he tries to criticize them like he's got all the knowledge in the world.

“No I have no plans to read any more science than I absolutely have to. Science is a sham and does not even come close to explaining anything about reality. I get my wisdom from other sources.” — SuperSport

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5321 on: September 14, 2013, 08:42:48 pm »

Still catching up on Dennett and Harris, and I merely spend most of my reddit-browsing time on r/atheism. I'm glad to hear you've been mulling over wisdom gleaned from Our Holy Dawkins-ness (from on high, vicar of Russell, blessed be his name, etc).

I was keeping things anonymous for your sake, actually, but now that you've named yourself, not much I can do about that.

If the mods feel like my rant and all associated posts should be moved to its own Flame & Burn thread now that the cat is out of the bag, feel free.  I won't do any flaming or burning unless it does get moved, though.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5322 on: September 14, 2013, 08:59:51 pm »

I was keeping things anonymous for your sake, actually, but now that you've named yourself, not much I can do about that.

If the mods feel like my rant and all associated posts should be moved to its own Flame & Burn thread now that the cat is out of the bag, feel free.  I won't do any flaming or burning unless it does get moved, though.

This is the part where all the gangstas in the audience go "Awwww shit!" and start smiling really big because they want to see a fight.

......World Star Hip-Hop.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #5323 on: September 14, 2013, 09:18:57 pm »
Long Live The Queen.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #5324 on: September 14, 2013, 09:21:45 pm »
Still can't think of a signature a year later.