Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2072799 times)

Art Vandelay

Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7050 on: March 28, 2014, 06:40:19 am »
Is it just me, or are there a hell of a lot less flash games being made nowadays? Back around 2008-2011, there's be tonnes of the bloody things being released every week, nowadays sites like Kongregate and Free World Group have games from almost a month ago still on the front page. I guess that's the downside to indie gaming becoming a much more serious thing.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7051 on: March 28, 2014, 07:21:05 am »
Is it just me, or are there a hell of a lot less flash games being made nowadays? Back around 2008-2011, there's be tonnes of the bloody things being released every week, nowadays sites like Kongregate and Free World Group have games from almost a month ago still on the front page. I guess that's the downside to indie gaming becoming a much more serious thing.
That, and Flash games kind of have a bad rep attached to them.  Tis what happens when places like Newgrounds make it look like the primary focus of your medium is to make games like Slave Maker.  Also, there are likely many more, better options to make, if nothing else, better-looking games using pre-made engines like Unity.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7052 on: March 28, 2014, 07:35:26 am »
That, and Flash games kind of have a bad rep attached to them.  Tis what happens when places like Newgrounds make it look like the primary focus of your medium is to make games like Slave Maker.  Also, there are likely many more, better options to make, if nothing else, better-looking games using pre-made engines like Unity.
I don't like Unity. I can barely get a couple of frames per second on my crappy laptop. I know I can't expect the entire world to hold back on account of my crappy hardware, but it is nevertheless kind of depressing when even free browser games are beyond my hardware's capabilities.

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
  • Assume I'm crashing & burning at any given moment
« Reply #7053 on: March 28, 2014, 08:18:52 am »
My dad "playfully" smacked my ear with a flat hand and I'm reasonably sure he ruptured my eardrum. Now I'm definitely deaf in my left ear, at least until it heals. On the other hand, I can do a lopsided version of the "steam shooting out of ears to express anger" trope.
Long Live The Queen.

Burn fire! Hellfire! Now Anita, its your turn! Choose GamerGate, or your pyre!
Be mine or you will buuurn!!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7054 on: March 28, 2014, 10:58:25 am »
I don't like Unity. I can barely get a couple of frames per second on my crappy laptop. I know I can't expect the entire world to hold back on account of my crappy hardware, but it is nevertheless kind of depressing when even free browser games are beyond my hardware's capabilities.

Though, you've also got to factor in the skill of the developer(s).  Even the best, most efficient tool can become a complete trainwreck in the hands of a hapless neophyte.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7055 on: March 28, 2014, 07:32:45 pm »
My dad "playfully" smacked my ear with a flat hand and I'm reasonably sure he ruptured my eardrum. Now I'm definitely deaf in my left ear, at least until it heals. On the other hand, I can do a lopsided version of the "steam shooting out of ears to express anger" trope.

Steam or blood?
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7056 on: March 28, 2014, 08:22:13 pm »
Quote from: Dongy

Dongy, I'd err on the side of caution and go to the ER or somewhere you can get that ear seen to.  Perforations can heal on their own, but there may be a chance of less hearing loss if it's treated.  I had one caused by an ear infection way back when and it healed pretty well.  About 5% frequency loss which is barely noticeable.

My mother had a perforation never seen to when she was young and her eardrum never healed closed.  She's not got much frequency pickup in that ear to this day.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 08:26:41 pm by the Doctor »

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #7057 on: March 28, 2014, 11:55:27 pm »
Chit: at first it was a decent mix of both, but now it's just air and a little bit of clear fluid.

Doctor: as much as I'd love to get it looked at right away, my insurance has a $300 copay for emergency treatment & refuses to cover a fuckton of common, arbitrary things (like saline drips and common blood tests). I'll probably go to Urgent Care on Monday.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #7058 on: March 29, 2014, 11:06:33 am »
Well, I hope it heals okay, Dongy.  That was a really stupid thing for your dad to do. 

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7059 on: March 29, 2014, 11:43:26 am »
Yeaaaaah, that was kind of a dick move on his part...

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7060 on: March 29, 2014, 09:30:00 pm »
Well we all know he's kind of a dick so...

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7061 on: March 30, 2014, 04:51:55 am »
I hate endless scrolling, and the fact that everyone seems to be switching to it.  It can cause serious lag on my computer, and if you leave or refresh the page, tough luck, because now you have to scroll all the way back to where you were and find what you were looking at again (I'm looking at you, Cracked and Youtube user upload pages).

Offline Ghoti

• slow-burn naive
  • The Beast
« Reply #7062 on: March 30, 2014, 08:20:22 am »
I told my co-worker that I'd ruptured my eardrum, and she asked how I knew. I did the Valvasa maneuver and a little bit of blood came flying out, which made her completely flip her shit. She tried to call 911 and I had to grab the phone out of her hand and explain that I did NOT need an ambulance. Jeez, I know she wasn't expecting that but you'd think the whole "walking around getting shit done" thing would be a tipoff.
Long Live The Queen.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7063 on: March 30, 2014, 08:39:39 am »
I hate endless scrolling, and the fact that everyone seems to be switching to it.  It can cause serious lag on my computer, and if you leave or refresh the page, tough luck, because now you have to scroll all the way back to where you were and find what you were looking at again (I'm looking at you, Cracked and Youtube user upload pages).
+1

That is pretty much the most annoying part of Facebook for me and it makes using Facebook on my phone really frustrating.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #7064 on: March 30, 2014, 10:54:20 am »
I told my co-worker that I'd ruptured my eardrum, and she asked how I knew. I did the Valvasa maneuver and a little bit of blood came flying out, which made her completely flip her shit. She tried to call 911 and I had to grab the phone out of her hand and explain that I did NOT need an ambulance. Jeez, I know she wasn't expecting that but you'd think the whole "walking around getting shit done" thing would be a tipoff.

Somehow, I have a feeling that blood still coming out of your ear is worthy of seeing a doctor very fast.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.