Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2076174 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #7350 on: May 14, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »
Was echinacea among the medicine you tried?  It's supposed to be good at fighting infections, and it helped my mother with her recent sinus infection.

Of course, if you haven't tried it yet, make sure it doesn't interact with any medicine you're already taking.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #7351 on: May 14, 2014, 01:14:05 pm »
I used to suffer from pollen related sinus infections every year back when I lived in Atlanta, which happens to be the pollen count capital of the world (the flowers sure do make the city gorgeous each spring, though!).

I finally went to a good local ENT doc there, and this is the regimen that helped me: Sinus infection causing bacteria tend to thrive in low oxygen scenarios, which clogged, mucus-y sinuses are the manifestations of. The bacteria bloom under and within blobs of mucus, caught in the little dips and crevices within your sinus membranes, that have become stagnant and thickened by dessication as your breath passes over them, making them thicker and allowing the anoxic bacteria to continue thriving. Pressure pain and inflammation pain comes from that process.

Take a decongestant medication that stimulates fresh, watery mucus production to dislodge and flush away the stale muck in there. Drink plenty of water while the pill is in effect, over the course of four to six hours. It's messy, you'll have a runny nose and sinus drainage into the back of your throat. Lots of hacking and spitting. While sitting in a steady chair, tilt your head and face slowly in different directions, especially dipping your head all the way down to your chest, then all the way back as far past your shoulder blades as you can manage, then tilt left as far as you can, then right etc. etc. to allow gravity to work in pulling some of the gook loose to where you'll cough it up and it drains more from your nose as well. Go slow, because that shit is thick and gooey - takes time to start sliding loose. Do that bit a few times an hour for 3 to 5 minutes a session.

After this miserable phase opens things up a little, and you can actually breath a little through your nose, use a sinus flush bottle you get as a kit at the drug store to very gently fill and flow out your sinus cavities with warm sterile saline solution (eyewash saline works fine, too). After that flush, you should be able to use a nasal inhaler, like Flonase, to maintain the sinus airway open.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #7352 on: May 14, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »
She has me taking Amox-Clav twice a day (that's supposed to be the main one), some allergy med once a day, and a nasal spray once a day.  Right now, my main problem is the pain, which nothing seems to be helping at the moment.  I'm thinking of taking Niquil tonight instead of the amox just so I can get a full night's sleep.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #7353 on: May 14, 2014, 03:26:18 pm »
I swear, if YouTube were any more aggressive with pimping their popular channels, I'd be able to file for assault.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #7354 on: May 16, 2014, 02:05:31 am »
Now I can't even completely exit out of chrome without triggering a BSOD most of the time.  SOmetimes I just really want to take a hammer to this thing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7355 on: May 18, 2014, 04:42:54 pm »
It's time to mow the lawn and my body isn't ready.

Oh well, at least next time I mow, my body will be more ready.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7356 on: May 19, 2014, 01:38:41 am »
In their latest update, Firefox decided to arbitrarily move half the buttons around. Can I just ask; why? The previous layout worked just fine, and we were all used to it. What exactly is achieved by this nonsense beyond mildly irritating the users? Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed off or anything. I know full well that in a week or so, I'll forget what the old layout even looked like. I'm just baffled as to why Mozilla feels that this is a worthwhile expenditure of their time and effort.

That said, I'm reminded of Facebook back around 2008/2009, drastically changing their layout on a near monthly basis, and like clockwork, everyone would violently shit the bed every single time. Ah, good times.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #7357 on: May 19, 2014, 07:10:22 am »
Today I leanred that you cannot say anything remotely negative on deviantArt or else you will be verbally assassinated.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #7358 on: May 19, 2014, 01:53:20 pm »
So, I've been playing around with a Commodore 64 emulator lately and I found a book of type-in games. I got as far as line 100 (tenth actual line) before I encountered a curly bracket, which I can't figure out how to make because I don't think the keyboard's mapped properly. After googling around, I read that the books used the brackets for the user's sake and the code ignored them, which I'm dubious about, but okay.. but the problem is the line is something like:

Code: [Select]
100 PRINT"{CLR}{10 DOWN}{14 RIGHT}{BLK}SPACE DODGER"
So wouldn't typing that without the brackets literally print "CLR 10 DOWN etc." on the screen? Shortly after that I said fuck it, because there is literally no reason, in this day and age, to ever have to do a type-in program of any kind. If I want the game that badly (which I really don't), I can find a disk image of it and have it in about five seconds anyway.

edit: I just found this. In other words, the programming books can't say what they mean because reasons.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:17:22 pm by Randomwolf42 »

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #7359 on: May 19, 2014, 04:33:35 pm »
I got told off at work because I went into the back for a drink during a lull (which we're allowed to do) and I sat down on a stepladder (which I was told was okay previously) to take some pressure off my knees. Manager told me I wasn't allowed to sit down at all unless I'm on my break, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. My shifts are six to nine hours.

Fortunately I played a dirty trump card and made myself essentially indespensible by revealing that I can in fact speak enough Spanish to conduct basic business transactions. No one else at the store can and there are a lottt of customers who can't speak English well. They can of course fire me, but they'd be stupid to.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7360 on: May 19, 2014, 04:53:16 pm »
I got told off at work because I went into the back for a drink during a lull (which we're allowed to do) and I sat down on a stepladder (which I was told was okay previously) to take some pressure off my knees. Manager told me I wasn't allowed to sit down at all unless I'm on my break, which I'm pretty sure is illegal. My shifts are six to nine hours.

Fortunately I played a dirty trump card and made myself essentially indespensible by revealing that I can in fact speak enough Spanish to conduct basic business transactions. No one else at the store can and there are a lottt of customers who can't speak English well. They can of course fire me, but they'd be stupid to.

I don't know how things work where you are but where I am if your boss fires you for sitting down you take that motherfucker to an industrial tribunal and you win.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #7361 on: May 19, 2014, 05:04:48 pm »

I don't know how things work where you are but where I am if your boss fires you for sitting down you take that motherfucker to an industrial tribunal and you win.

In my part of the nation they can fire you for having a zit on your face.

Fucking Right to Work bullshit.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Caitshidhe

• The Keeper of the Kupos
  • The Beast
    • Axiom Speaks
« Reply #7362 on: May 19, 2014, 05:24:54 pm »
I could use my fancy new Obamacare healthcare to get a doctor note stating that I need to be allowed to sit down for medical reasons. That they CAN'T fire me for, though they can decrease my hours until I have no choice but to quit.

American laws are shit.
'The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our imaginations.' -- Bertrand Russel

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #7363 on: May 19, 2014, 05:54:44 pm »
Yeah, yet again I find myself thinking the U.S. employment laws need a mahoosive overhaul...if the US even has any to begin with.  Sometimes it sounds like they don't, judging from some of the shit I hear about US employers getting up to (and getting away with).  How are employers still allowed to treat staff like this in 20-fucking-14?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7364 on: May 19, 2014, 05:58:05 pm »
Yeah, yet again I find myself thinking the U.S. employment laws need a mahoosive overhaul...if the US even has any to begin with.  Sometimes it sounds like they don't, judging from some of the shit I hear about US employers getting up to (and getting away with).  How are employers still allowed to treat staff like this in 20-fucking-14?

Because "if people don't like it, they should just get a better job" is the motherfucking mentality of this country for some reason.