Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2077101 times)

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #8055 on: September 25, 2014, 02:03:10 am »
Indeed, I've often been upset by settings that DO have absolute good and evil. It weakens story telling possibilities. And frankly, it makes no sense.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8056 on: September 25, 2014, 02:04:13 am »
Yes, that spell will make you evil, because it is fueled by evil energies.

No, Paladin, you cannot just graciously accept Infernal Healing, it's fueled with evil energy and was created by Asmodeus, who is most likely an enemy of whatever deity you worship..

But isn't good entirely relative? Give me the infernal spawn for his first seven years, and I'll give you the infernal paladin.
Depends on the setting.

Roleplaying as anthropologists who are careful about their ethnocentrism after discovering a tribe of very devout, very myopic fundamentalists; a high concentration of whom are paladins.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8057 on: September 25, 2014, 02:12:39 am »
Indeed, I've often been upset by settings that DO have absolute good and evil. It weakens story telling possibilities. And frankly, it makes no sense.

I'm not fond of black and white settings, and indeed, D&D doesn't allow for that - that's why we have the Neutral alignments.

But when Evil and Good are forces, it doesn't make sense to say "Oh yeah, using evil energy isn't evil."

It might not be evil the first time, but evil energy is, since it's EVIL, corruptive.  And as such, will corrupt the user over time.

Alignment shifts exist for a reason ya know.

It's not like D&D/Pathfinder doesn't HAVE moral ambiguity - hell, even necromancy, despite having the [evil] tag on all of the cool spells, has some moral ambiguity because it deals with negative energy, not evil energy.  Yeah, there's a difference.

This is the same game that makes a distinction between light and holy.

But making EVERYTHING morally ambiguous is... well, honestly, it's even more cliche than making everything black and white anymore.

It's a fantasy game.  I don't want it to be like the real world.  Not everything needs to be deep.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8058 on: September 25, 2014, 07:34:18 am »
"1041. Doesn’t matter if I’m just using it to spot weld, force lightning still gets me a dark side point."
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8059 on: September 25, 2014, 07:35:34 am »
Emerald Fire, AKA, Jedi Lightning, would be the "Good" equivalent to Force/Sith Lightning.

But other than that, that's a stupid rule because at least two notable Jedi have used Force Lightning without tapping into the Dark Side.  One is Kyle Katarn.  The other is Luke Skywalker himself.  And I believe according to the novels, Jaden from Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy also did this, but he had doubts about it.

Though it's worth noting that Kyle managed to master both sides of the force and still remain on the light side, so... yeah.

Too bad he's non-canon now.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:39:23 am by Magus Silveresti »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8060 on: September 25, 2014, 07:39:12 am »
Considering the canon is largely shit anyways, I say we just discard it.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8061 on: September 25, 2014, 07:46:48 am »
Considering the canon is largely shit anyways, I say we just discard it.

Eh, Kyle Katarn is one of those characters I want to see brought back into the new canon.

Mainly because he's an awesome character.  He looks awesome, I like his voice, he's got quite the fleshed out backstory, and so forth.

Though his Dark Side path in Jedi Knight 1 is... WTF-inducing.  I mean, I've heard of "For the Evulz", but that's the kinda shit that would make Palpatine say "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

(click to show/hide)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #8062 on: September 25, 2014, 04:56:49 pm »
But making EVERYTHING morally ambiguous is... well, honestly, it's even more cliche than making everything black and white anymore-

"Knowing only gray, you conclude that all grays are the same shade.  You mock the simplicity of the two-color view, yet you replace it with a one-color view..."
Σא

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8063 on: September 25, 2014, 04:59:19 pm »
But making EVERYTHING morally ambiguous is... well, honestly, it's even more cliche than making everything black and white anymore-

"Knowing only gray, you conclude that all grays are the same shade.  You mock the simplicity of the two-color view, yet you replace it with a one-color view..."

Whoa.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8064 on: September 25, 2014, 06:31:22 pm »

I don't know where you get that. There are at least fifty shades that I know of...

::ducks::
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #8065 on: September 25, 2014, 06:59:46 pm »
A thing that annoys me is people who try to force total moral ambiguity into a setting where it doesn't make sense.

Such as a setting where "good" and "evil" are literal, tangible forces that can fuel magic and where For The Evulz is actually practical.

Yes, that spell will make you evil, because it is fueled by evil energies.

No, Paladin, you cannot just graciously accept Infernal Healing, it's fueled with evil energy and was created by Asmodeus, who is most likely an enemy of whatever deity you worship.

No, Good Cleric, you cannot cast the spell, your god doesn't grant that power because she is a good god and it is an evil power.

So I can't set children on fire if it's illegal? Aww, man. How else is Moloch the Intergalactic Tax Collector get his salary, then?

But punching a whale is not illegal. Spitting on babies is not illegal. Cussing in the presence of ladies is not illegal. Licking a brain is not illegal. Shaving people's cats is not illegal.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:05:27 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8066 on: September 25, 2014, 09:59:45 pm »
I really don't like that breast cancer awareness commercial that begins with preteen girls chanting "we must increase our bust".  To me, it comes off as a very "save the boobies" type of campaign.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8067 on: September 26, 2014, 05:50:05 am »
The tendency of some SJW feminists to forget that it is actually possible for men to be harmed/marginalized by the patriarchy.

The tendency of some TERFs to mock anyone who points this out by trying to claim that they're blaming the matriarchy.

Okay no, that last one isn't annoying, it's hilarious.

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #8068 on: September 26, 2014, 11:19:24 pm »
I got stung by a hornet.  I was walking and it stung me on my upper back near my left shoulder.  I never saw it coming, only felt it stung me then saw it fly off.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #8069 on: September 26, 2014, 11:32:35 pm »
I got stung by a hornet.  I was walking and it stung me on my upper back near my left shoulder.  I never saw it coming, only felt it stung me then saw it fly off.

Hornets are bastards.