Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2074807 times)

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #9585 on: January 28, 2016, 06:38:22 pm »
People who complain about "anti-German racism" whenever someone says the Nazis were bad. They're almost always American (and occasionally Canadian) neo-Nazis/Holocaust deniers who've never set foot in Germany and have like, one German grandparent or something.

It's even more annoying when they whine about how they aren't allowed to celebrate their German heritage. There are a ton of German-American societies/cultural events, you fucking morons. There's even a National German-American Day. If you want to celebrate your German heritage, go to Oktoberfest or a Von Steuben Day parade like a normal person instead of obsessing over the worst part of German history.

I assume you're okay with people who complain about those people around them who can't seem to separate Germany from the Nazis in their mind, and constantly bring up the Nazis whenever the country Is discussed?
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9586 on: January 28, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »
Such a shame, since so much of the very best in music, literature, and innovation has come from the German people over the centuries.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #9587 on: January 28, 2016, 07:22:52 pm »
Such a shame, since so much of the very best in music, literature, and innovation has come from the German people over the centuries.

One word: RAMMSTEIN.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9588 on: January 28, 2016, 07:27:38 pm »

What really irks me is people trying to claim that the Nazis had an unambiguously positive impact on science and culture.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #9589 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:54 pm »

What really irks me is people trying to claim that the Nazis had an unambiguously positive impact on science and culture.

Nazi "art"
(click to show/hide)

Because ripping off greek statues but making them dull, sexless and boring as watching paint dry is culturally massive godsdangit.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9590 on: January 29, 2016, 12:38:18 am »
And Nazi war engineering had a consistent theme of Too Big and Too Late.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9591 on: January 29, 2016, 02:31:50 am »
And Nazi war engineering had a consistent theme of Too Big and Too Late.

If you look at what the Nazis built late in the war you would see that most of it was really low quality. There is a myth that Nazis had "few but great" tanks and other weapons, but in reality much of their stuff was built in a hurry from low quality metals and in Kursk many of their finest tanks were out of commission due to "rats eating the wiring."

Oh, they did have some impressive stuff but after losing a factory that made ball bearings they had to rely mainly on Stugs rather than proper tanks because building turrets that turn became harder because they simply didn't have enough ball bearings available.

...And due to German bureaucracy getting new designs into production was really slow and if Hitler wasn't demanding impossible high tech stuff then he was resisting any changes to their rifles because "he used a Kar98k back in the last war and if it was good enough for him then it should be good enough for the current army as well."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9592 on: January 29, 2016, 12:14:39 pm »
Let's not forget how German science was unnecessarily handicapped by the Nazis.  You had them persecuting and/or driving out many of Germany's top scientists, for starters.  Then there's the pseudoscience they promoted.  Look at all these racial theories that were already being seriously questioned.  Look at Deutsche Physik!  And on top of all that, you have the research process itself.  Because of their beliefs in Social Darwinism, they assigned a whole bunch of teams to the same project and encouraged them to compete against one another.

The idea of Nazi Germany being a "STEM Reich" is idiotic in the extreme.

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #9593 on: January 29, 2016, 06:42:29 pm »
Actually German infantry weapons were the best in the business. The allies had a tremendous fear of the mg42 and tiger tanks, and even paratroopers from the 101 AB swapped their Thompsons for MP40s whenever they could Most of the allied success came from air interdiction efforts and artillery. The beat examples of these were during the battle for Normandy, where typhoon attacks shredded tank columns in the Falais Pocket and arty leveling towns such as Carentan and Caen. The battle of the bulge also highlights the p47s which completely annihilated German supply lines after the weather cleared.

Hitler was the biggest armchair general anyway and had no business running a war. He constantly ignored his smarter generals such as Kluge, and because of ordering his crappy counterattacks, such as OP Luttich, he completely shredded his panzer divisions, with the majority actually being shredded by allied aircraft.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:04:10 pm by Hofstadter's Tortoise »
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #9594 on: January 29, 2016, 11:03:49 pm »
I finally got back on the internet after my computer went down, but now I can't get back into my Tumblr account, AND I can't access my email so I can't get a new password.

Edit: never mind,  I got it. Email's still down though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:22:16 pm by lord gibbon »
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Delirium

• Bishop
  • "i choose my own way to burn." - sophie scholl
« Reply #9595 on: January 30, 2016, 12:52:30 am »
Actually German infantry weapons were the best in the business. The allies had a tremendous fear of the mg42 and tiger tanks, and even paratroopers from the 101 AB swapped their Thompsons for MP40s whenever they could Most of the allied success came from air interdiction efforts and artillery. The beat examples of these were during the battle for Normandy, where typhoon attacks shredded tank columns in the Falais Pocket and arty leveling towns such as Carentan and Caen. The battle of the bulge also highlights the p47s which completely annihilated German supply lines after the weather cleared.

Hitler was the biggest armchair general anyway and had no business running a war. He constantly ignored his smarter generals such as Kluge, and because of ordering his crappy counterattacks, such as OP Luttich, he completely shredded his panzer divisions, with the majority actually being shredded by allied aircraft.

OT, but I love your parakeets' names. :)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #9596 on: January 30, 2016, 04:24:41 am »
Semi-OT but I've only really known one German person (a friend back in university) and he was the one making most of the war/German jokes.  He even taught us how to say, "Of course this means total war." but I've forgotten over the years sadly.  It was good for confusing and slightly scaring random people who were being pricks (apparently people find things being shouted at them in German to be quite frightening/intimidating).

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9597 on: January 30, 2016, 04:39:56 am »
Actually German infantry weapons were the best in the business. The allies had a tremendous fear of the mg42 and tiger tanks, and even paratroopers from the 101 AB swapped their Thompsons for MP40s whenever they could Most of the allied success came from air interdiction efforts and artillery.

Depends on when the gun was manufactured. Late war guns and equipment were stuff that was made in hurry and it showed. There is a video of guys studying an original Sturmgewehr and there are couple things like... Extra holes in the gun that were drilled in the wrong place by accident and such. And if it had been up to Hitler Sturmgewehr would have never gotten into production (though he did like the gun when he saw the final product which had been used in the Eastern front. Though it had to be disguised as an submachine gun and built practically in secret he could not deny the results.)

And I'm reminded that Germans liked to use looted Soviet weapons, since they liked the extra firepower from the drum magazines in PPSh while the Soviet soldiers liked using looted German weapons since they seemed to think that MP40 is better than their PPSh... The grass is always greener across the fence, I suppose.

And if you want a laugh, go look up the WW2 US propaganda films about German weapons. They talk about how MG42 has a "bark that is worse than the bite" and how it is inferiour to the good old US built M1919... Also they outright lie about the capabilities of the 88mm anti-tank cannons so that the tank crews wouldn't be afraid to get close to them.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #9598 on: January 30, 2016, 02:21:15 pm »
I was trying to find a random Let's play that is worth watching on Youtube and stumbled upon Homefront. ...North Korea taking over USA? Seriously?

...I know WHY they made this choice, the Chinese buy video games and making them the villains might have hurt the profits (I know for a fact that if someone in North Korea bought this or any other Western video game his last name was Kim.) but it is still incredibly stupid and they would have been better off using a fictional country as the invader.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #9599 on: January 30, 2016, 02:35:05 pm »
I was trying to find a random Let's play that is worth watching on Youtube and stumbled upon Homefront. ...North Korea taking over USA? Seriously?

...I know WHY they made this choice, the Chinese buy video games and making them the villains might have hurt the profits (I know for a fact that if someone in North Korea bought this or any other Western video game his last name was Kim.) but it is still incredibly stupid and they would have been better off using a fictional country as the invader.

Reminds me of the Red Dawn remake nobody remembers anymore.