Author Topic: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries  (Read 101170 times)

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
Re: 2016 Democratic Presidential Primaries
« Reply #540 on: July 02, 2016, 11:33:42 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfM5LGMmxg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwfM5LGMmxg</a>

Today, I learned that Hillary is a leprechaun. These people truly are bonkers.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #541 on: July 02, 2016, 03:20:43 pm »
Does this mean that Clinton is disqualified and Sanders gets the nomination? Or is there some minor punishment for violating the rules? Or is this yet another case of "technically against the rules/laws but there is no punishment and therefore it is ok."

Uh no.  This is called politics as usual.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #542 on: July 02, 2016, 03:29:32 pm »
Does this mean that Clinton is disqualified and Sanders gets the nomination? Or is there some minor punishment for violating the rules? Or is this yet another case of "technically against the rules/laws but there is no punishment and therefore it is ok."

Which is why the US isn't actually a democracy any more, in the sense that public opinion and legislative outcomes are uncorrelated.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #543 on: July 02, 2016, 04:13:49 pm »

Which is why the US isn't actually a democracy any more, in the sense that public opinion and legislative outcomes are uncorrelated.

I think this quote says it best

One thing I’ve learned at The Upshot in the last year: People, from the right and the left, believe in conspiracies more than I would have thought. And elections bring out the worst of it.

The political scientists Joseph Uscinski and Joseph Parent have written that “near equal numbers of Republicans and Democrats (between 40 percent and 50 percent)” are predisposed to believe in the possibility of voter fraud if their preferred presidential candidate does not win.

Source

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #545 on: July 02, 2016, 04:54:34 pm »
I'm not sure precisely who you were directing that at, Queen, but I was referring to this study:

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FPPS%2FPPS12_03%2FS1537592714001595a.pdf&code=ad98a6ff44904fbd5367dab8427fc72d

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-27074746

Oh, I was definitely including you. Just because we have an electorate that predominately votes for their "team" instead of their interests doesn't make us any less a democracy. Maybe it makes a few of us dull-witted, but that is hardly exclusive to America, as seen with Brexit. Unfortunately, these people vote and that is one of the downsides of democracy. Sure, 90% of people support background checks for gerns. A similar number of people will support the individual portions of Obamacare, while only about 45% will support Obamacare itself (there must be something about that name). But these people don't vote for these issues in primaries to see the result that they desire, as generally it's the most liberal or conservative people who vote in primaries. As such, political purity to a party line trumps things like actual issues that people care about and that have a broad national consensus. Nevertheless, what can you do. The problem is essentially that the electorate is not educated enough on American politics nor patient enough to study politicians before voting and effectuate change, they just throw their hands in the air and say "Not a democracy, system's rigged" because that's easier than basic research.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #546 on: July 02, 2016, 05:14:57 pm »
I'm not sure precisely who you were directing that at, Queen, but I was referring to this study:

http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=%2FPPS%2FPPS12_03%2FS1537592714001595a.pdf&code=ad98a6ff44904fbd5367dab8427fc72d

Oh, I was definitely including you. Just because we have an electorate that predominately votes for their "team" instead of their interests doesn't make us any less a democracy. Maybe it makes a few of us dull-witted, but that is hardly exclusive to America, as seen with Brexit. Unfortunately, these people vote and that is one of the downsides of democracy. Sure, 90% of people support background checks for gerns. A similar number of people will support the individual portions of Obamacare, while only about 45% will support Obamacare itself (there must be something about that name). But these people don't vote for these issues in primaries to see the result that they desire, as generally it's the most liberal or conservative people who vote in primaries. As such, political purity to a party line trumps things like actual issues that people care about and that have a broad national consensus. Nevertheless, what can you do. The problem is essentially that the electorate is not educated enough on American politics nor patient enough to study politicians before voting and effectuate change, they just throw their hands in the air and say "Not a democracy, system's rigged" because that's easier than basic research.

Okay, let's take the background check issue.

According to this poll: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_121715.pdf, 79% of Republican primary voters support background checks, yet somehow this gets nowhere in Congress.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #547 on: July 02, 2016, 05:45:12 pm »

Okay, let's take the background check issue.

According to this poll: http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2015/PPP_Release_National_121715.pdf, 79% of Republican primary voters support background checks, yet somehow this gets nowhere in Congress.

Because they don't vote for people who will actually support it, they vote for the most conservative or well known of the lot. So nothing gets done. The disconnect isn't with law makers and "big money," the disconnect is with people not voting for politicians that will support the issue that people want. To make it simple, 45 Senators blocked the background check proposal in Congress in 2013. The list of them is beneath the spoiler

(click to show/hide)

Of those 45, 13 were up for re-election in 2014. Two of them, both democrats, won their primary only to lose to the Republican in the general election (not surprising, they won the seats in 2008, a good year, and represented red states Alaska and Arkansas). Two of them, both republicans, decided to retire. Of the remaining 9 republicans... ALL 9 of them were re-elected, through both the primary and general elections. Clearly, that 79 percent of republican primary voters that care about background checks didn't care that much to vote for a republican that would support background checks.

(click to show/hide)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #548 on: July 02, 2016, 06:00:14 pm »
Or, they did do the research, and found that neither the incumbent nor any challenger supported background checks (or said they did, but further research revealed that they were taking money from the gun lobby anyway). And meanwhile, nobody else ran because of how damned expensive it is to run for office, especially against an incumbent.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #549 on: July 02, 2016, 06:10:19 pm »
Poll: "Here is an example of a sensible gun control legislation. Do you support/like it?"

A random republican: "Yes."

A republican politician X supports a similar legislation.

NRA: "POLITICIAN X IS AN UNAMERICAN RINO WHO WILL TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS AND MAKE YOU LIVE IN HOBBIT HOMES!!!!!"
(+ loads of money to spread the message)

The same random republican: "Shit, I'd better vote against him!"

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #550 on: July 02, 2016, 06:22:16 pm »
Or, they did do the research, and found that neither the incumbent nor any challenger supported background checks (or said they did, but further research revealed that they were taking money from the gun lobby anyway). And meanwhile, nobody else ran because of how damned expensive it is to run for office, especially against an incumbent.

Rank speculation. But, I'll concede that due to costs, many of them may not have had primary opponents (doesn't defeat the notion of someone else running, or voting for a moderate democrat like Joe Manchin, which builds on my "vote for your team bit"), but nevertheless let's look at the seat left open by Saxby Chambliss in Georga:

Purdue won despite being openly against background checks
Paul Broun also openly opposed background checks
Art Gardner, relative nobody, couldn't find anything on him
Phil Gingrey favors stricter background checks

Not even looking at the rest: clearly these 79% of voters didn't care that much.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 06:24:47 pm by The_Queen »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #551 on: July 03, 2016, 08:21:32 pm »
Dude, a Mtn. Dew and Doritos Super PAC?  I'd actually like to see that, especially the Doritos part.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #552 on: July 05, 2016, 06:02:24 pm »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/clinton-email-fbi-1.3665051

The FBI will not recommend criminal charges in its investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server while she was secretary of state, the bureau's director says.

James Comey made the announcement Tuesday, three days after FBI agents interviewed Clinton — now the presumptive Democratic nominee in the race for the White House — in the final step of its investigation.

"We cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal charges," Comey said at a news conference in Washington after describing the "painstaking" investigation.

"Our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case."

But Comey also said Clinton and her colleagues at the Department of State had been "extremely careless" with classified material — noting that 110 emails, in 52 different email chains, contained classified information when Clinton sent them. Eight of those chains contained top secret information, he said.

"None of these emails should have been on any kind of unclassified system," he said.

So, Queen was right, there's no indictment... but the Republicans are going to savage her over that "extremely careless" bit.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2016, 06:19:38 pm »
And the Dems are gonna savage Trump over EVERYTHING THAT'S EVER COME OUT OF HIS FUCKING MOUTH!

Ironbite-this really is a non-issue.  Just like every other scandal they've tried.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #554 on: July 05, 2016, 07:33:05 pm »
Trump: You were careless careless careless...

Hillary: Should I start with the Neo-Nazi image of me with a Star of David? Or perhaps the My New Order on your bookshelf? And that's just if I want to talk about your Fascism, Mr. Trump. There's also how often your positions change, and your pandering to people who think we ought to go back in time to 1950 at the latest.

Trump: HILLARY IS BEING MEAN / UNFAIR TO MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer