Author Topic: GamerGate  (Read 141555 times)

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: GamerGate
« Reply #480 on: October 20, 2014, 01:34:03 am »
As I pointed out in the other article I sent you, gamers aren't one neatly defined demographic-it's a hobby. It attracts all types. Not even your "hardcore" or "dedicated" gamers are all peas in a pod. In that sense Leigh Alexander was right, gaming is changing and the old stereotype of the gamer is less relevant.

You think you represent gamer but that just plain isn't true now if it ever was, I'm a gamer-you sure as hell don't represent me!

Gaming is a verb, you can't pitch your flag on a verb and claim ownership of it. If that were possible Nike would be charging you royalties for sprinting after the 8:25 bus.

Offline mrdoh

• Apprentice
« Reply #481 on: October 20, 2014, 01:47:22 am »
As I pointed out in the other article I sent you, gamers aren't one neatly defined demographic-it's a hobby. It attracts all types. Not even your "hardcore" or "dedicated" gamers are all peas in a pod. In that sense Leigh Alexander was right, gaming is changing and the old stereotype of the gamer is less relevant.

You think you represent gamer but that just plain isn't true now if it ever was, I'm a gamer-you sure as hell don't represent me!

Gaming is a verb, you can't pitch your flag on a verb and claim ownership of it. If that were possible Nike would be charging you royalties for sprinting after the 8:25 bus.

I never said that in the first place either. I merely mention about a large amount of GamerGator are gamer, which is a part of the gaming demographic as a whole. That's really about it. We don't speak anyone but ourselves, people who had unearthed corruption and now fighting an ever uphill battle for what we love. And we recognize we aren't peas in a pod either. We had #notyourshield to prove that.

And no, personally speaking Leigh Alexander's whole article was building up to the frequently quoted lines about gamers being "obtuse shit slinger..." and oher colorful adjectives. I do find it amusing that the press that was defended gamers from Jack Thompson, and other politicians for years now basically turned back to its audience and slander them the same way that the mainstream media had slandered the gaming community for years, reducing the colorful pallete of the gaming community to just white neckbeard basement dwellers who have no life outside of somehow trying to scare women away by aiming at 2 no name indie developers and a "pop culture critic", instead of really going for people that actually matters like Jade Raymond who had a career that anyone would kill to get a hold of. And it is because we found shits like paid review and unsavory business practices (550$ for a review on the West Coast, for example. Yeah, multi million dollars games and all it took was just 550 dollars to buy it whole. Granted the context of that part maybe joking, but it is very telling. I will give the rundown later) That's one of the reason that GamerGate was born out of.

As for the gaming and the old stereotype of gamer is changing.....i disagree. From my perspective, as much as we are having casual gamers and other stuffs coming in, the core demographic will be there and unchanging. The only thing that change is people coming in and out of the hobby. But that's issue for another time to debate.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:52:46 am by mrdoh »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #482 on: October 20, 2014, 01:52:25 am »
Well-Jack Thompson never had as many people trying to censor what is and isn't acceptable in games on his side as are trying to do that right now.

But right now those people are called GamerGate! You are the new Jack Thompsons.

Offline mrdoh

• Apprentice
« Reply #483 on: October 20, 2014, 02:02:16 am »
Eh no. We aren't actually censor anyone, by the way. The part you are talking about is about unhealthy agenda driven journalism. A topic that I will touch on this later. However, I will give you my two cents on that, and this is a sentiment that more than just a few GamerGator agree.

Video Games will never be art until the press stopped trying to appoint themselves as moral guardian, the enlightened of the gaming sphere whose duty is to heard the sheeps that is the gamers into the age of enlightenment.

That's not you being enlightened, it is you being a huge twat with a Lenin complex.

Why? If you want to cultivate freedom of artistic expression or diversity or whatever the buzzwords is, IT SHOULD BE GROW ORGANICALLY. It should be encourage, for sure. WHAT IS NOT cultivating the medium is by bombarding developers with bad press simply because their views and artistic vision aren't in line with what the press want to push. What resulted in that is either stifled creativity or developers like Bioware trying to ham handedly be "inclusive" at the cost of the real quality of their product.

If you want further example, look up the Hotline Miami 2 controversy, or the kerfuffle about Kingom Come: Deliverance. That's outright using press to attack a developer's vision because it make the press "unconfortable". That's the REAL censorship.

Give me one example where a medium grow because of the press bombarding the devs with such shit. I will wait.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:07:42 am by mrdoh »

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #484 on: October 20, 2014, 02:12:46 am »
Regarding the GoodGamers, the mismanagement is not about the journalistic issue, btw. It is because a large amount of editors simply went "yup, sorry, have real life shits cannot do this", and basically left me and a bunch of writers articles left in the purgatory. Personally i have 1 article that is stuck in editing purgatory for at least 1 month now and no sign of it will be passing anytime soon. And the fact that our EIC doesn't seemed to actually care about running her site doesn't help either.

Sure, but that doesn't change my point that GamerGate is demanding an alternative, but yet no one wants to be that alternative. The one alternative that showed up turned out like so many other random upstarts that don't realize that journalism is actually hard fucking work.

Honestly, that's one discussion I'd love to have elsewhere. You know, like every actual issue that's popped up in regards to this trainwreck.

For the contacting advertiser, i will give you this simple set of bullet points:

+Press start out as a voice
+The press got their money from clicks and advertisements because the consumer feels like the voice representing their views
+So they have a podium built on the consumer's good will and money
+Now the press decided to use their podium to slander the consumers
+Now the consumers are pissed
+So they are actively working to remove the podium that they built themselves because the consumer feels like the press don't deserve their money anymore

That's Operation Disrespectful Nod in a nutshell

Uh, yeah. That's how that works. A shame I never said actually said that's bad.

Now, keep in mind with the sites we are boycotting we don't even clamor them to give us balance coverage or by any means silencing their opinion. With their 28/29 attacks, it had been clear that they aren't interested in that.

See, when you say this, I don't believe you. The Polygon debacle is only part of why I don't believe you. The constant talks of reform with no content or actual mission is the other reason.

You have bragged about changing The Escapist's ethics policy. GameGate has not shown that they know better. You keep citing a perfectly ethical mailing list as if it was massive sin. GamerGate simply wants the media to bend to its will. The problem is, it has no fucking clue what its will is in the first place.

Also, if anyone remember the Chick Fil A boycott with the whole kerfuffle with their stance on gay marriage, the same dynamic is happening here. I can't remember anyone was telling other people they were censored Chick Fil A's opinion :/ This is a rather common boycott technique given the asymetrical nature of it.

Nice false equivalency. But I'm going to indulge you.

There are two parts to my answer here: 1, dumbasses who supported Chik-Fil-A WERE crying censorship, but that's beside the point. 2, I point AGAIN to "Operation Bayonetta 2." That is a legitimate example of censorship and you're not just pretending it never happened, but you're insisting that GamerGate isn't pro-censorship.

And regarding the Bayonetta 2, i'm not a blind idiot. All i said is that i didn't pay enough attention to it to give it my two cents. I only know what happened and why it happened, but that's about it. My post above is not my opinion as much as what passed through my lens as someone who constantly paying attention on 5 different sites at once. So yelling at me for giving account on what i saw some GGers doing is not particularly helpful.

You say this. But then, you also said, and I quote, "it unfairly docked points because of the developer's artistic vision differ from the reviewer (this is kind of ties in to the whole agenda-in-review thing i will talk later)." What you didn't say is a reason why this is bad, nor provide proof that GamerGate isn't fully behind that idea.

Now, I understand that, as far as I can tell, cooler heads surprisingly prevailed and "Operation Bayonetta 2" never gained traction, but the fact that it has been condoned by GamerGate is proof that at least part of GamerGate condones censorship. And it is yet another thing that GamerGate has completely failed to deal with.

Lastly, yes, it is an ad hominem attack. This is merely a taste of what GGers had been getting for the last 2 months. Getting attack by shits that barely related to the issue at hand.

Ah, the old "but THEY do it to us, too!" stupidity. You like that one, don't you? Here's the thing, I don't care that "anti-GamerGate" does the same thing. All that tells me is that there are two assholes in the room.

Not to mention that GamerGate isn't talking about the issues. They keep making demands, but they refuse to actually explain what those demands entail. What the hell does it mean to reform video game journalism?

Today I decided to indulge GamerGate on Twitter and posted, and I quote:

"To any #GamerGate supporters: If you want to discuss the issues without talking about the harassment or Quinn, I am open to this discussion."

The first response:

"@Cloud3514 You realize most ggers are quite over Quinn by now?"

The second response gave me this, but was silent when I pointed out that I was already aware of these things.

A few minutes ago, I tweeted:

"In every attempt I have to talk to GamerGate, they never fail to completely ignore the issues that they're supposedly fighting for."

And the response cited the GameJournoPros mailing list, which I've thoroughly talked about.

See the problem? You might call these loaded statements and I'd be hard pressed to disagree with that, but they're still invitations for discussion met with the same tired rhetoric we've been seeing since the beginning.

GamerGate, as far as I can tell, has no goal. They have no idea what they want. They say they want "journalistic ethics," but they can't tell me what that means when I outright tell them to talk to me about that. They want "agenda-free" reviews and demand censorship of an outlet that criticizes Bayonetta 2, while demanding a "free press" at the same time. They demand discussion, but won't have any when people invite them to it.

For now though i will drop this this interview by a site. They interviewed 2 people, one pro GG and one anti GG. I will let the interview speak for itself

http://mangotron.com/pro-vs-anti-gamergate-two-interviews/

I've seen that article and, surprise!, the GamerGater is just repeating tired rhetoric that we've already addressed.

Eh no. We aren't actually censor anyone, by the way. The part you are talking about is about unhealthy agenda driven journalism. A topic that I will touch on this later. However, I will give you my two cents on that, and this is a sentiment that more than just a few GamerGator agree.

Operation Bayonetta 2.

Don't fucking tell us that GamerGate hasn't tried to censor anyone.

Video Games will never be art until the press stopped trying to appoint themselves as moral guardian, the enlightened of the gaming sphere whose duty is to heard the sheeps that is the gamers into the age of enlightenment.

That's not you being enlightened, it is you being a huge twat with a Lenin complex.

I was waiting for this. https://storify.com/MorganRamsay/how-often-do-video-game-journalists-write-about-fe

In the last year, in over 130,000 articles, from 23 different sources, including the GamerGate targeted Gamasutra, Kotaku and Polygon, less than half of a percent of articles even mentioned the terms "feminism, feminist, sexist, sexism, misogyny or misogynist." While you have to acknowledge the margin of error for articles that (somehow) talk about those subjects without those terms, you have to also acknowledge the margin of error for articles that use those terms passingly and are in fact about something else.

Who's playing culture police now?

Why? If you want to cultivate freedom of artistic expression or diversity or whatever the buzzwords is, IT SHOULD BE GROW ORGANICALLY. It should be encourage, for sure. WHAT IS NOT cultivating the medium is by bombarding developers with bad press simply because their views and artistic vision aren't in line with what the press want to push. What resulted in that is either stifled creativity or developers like Bioware trying to ham handedly be "inclusive" at the cost of the real quality of their product.

In all of this, you have yet to actually explain why saying "I don't like X aspect of Y game" and having the score reflect that is wrong or unethical. I, on the other hand, have explained, multiple times why it's perfectly ethical and ok.

You insist that they're playing culture police when all they're doing is stating that they think games have issues that need to be tackled if they want to be taken seriously as an art form. That's not censorship, nor is it unethical.

Furthermore, Bioware? Really? The company that is VERY well known for making their games diverse? You're citing them?

If you want further example, look up the Hotline Miami 2 controversy, or the kerfuffle about Kingom Come: Deliverance. That's outright using press to attack a developer's vision because it make the press "unconfortable". That's the REAL censorship.

CITATION NEEDED.

Give me one example where a medium grow because of the press bombarding the devs with such shit. I will wait.

There is none, but that doesn't matter because that's not what's happening with video games. Burden of proof is on you. You're accusing the press of censorship when we've established that you don't even know what you're talking about on it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:28:41 am by Cloud3514 »
Who needs a signature?

Offline mrdoh

• Apprentice
« Reply #485 on: October 20, 2014, 02:30:29 am »
First of, I will say though is that twitter is a terrible place to be hold any discussion about this. The 140 character format lend itself to insulting each other and quips rather than actual discussion (even if i have had good discussion about it). If anything, i am invite you to either r/KotakuInAction (http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/) or even my own personal hideout #gamergate@freenode.net (if you don't have irc cilent use this instead http://webchat.freenode.net/, channel is #gamergate). The format of a reddit and chatroom lend itself much better to debate about this. And no, we won't gang up on you.

As for the alternative, NicheGamer, and TechRaptor is quickly becoming one of those alternative, because of their quality product. We are being the changes here, make no mistake.

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/10/on-gamers-culture-and-gamergate/
http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/10/gamergate-interview-reviewing-the-reviewers-double-time-edition/

As for the constant talk of reform, keep in mind that the press had been constantly refused to talk to us. It had been radio silence since the GJP leak until the recent kerfuffle. It took two to dance, and no one is willing to take a dance here. We are talking about holding streams and openly invite any anti GG to come in, and all we got is an idiot that was left out to dry by literally everyone else.

At least recently Brian Crecente is crowdsourcing the policy of Polygon, so if anything there are progress of reform. So telling me that there's no reform is just a bit ignorant on the subject.

As for Bayonetta 2 thing, i think you are unfairly nitpicking my point. I meant as in people were up in arm because they thought that Polygon unfairly docked points off Bayonetta 2 (again, i'm not a native English speaker so if i made you misunderstood it my apology).

And as you can see, it never gain any traction, cooler heads prevailed. This proved my point about GamerGate being an organic, leaderless movement where good ideas will float up and shit ideas will be cosigned to the trash like it is.

For the rest of the point you raised though, it deserved to be discuss much better in depth. Me on my own does not represent GamerGate as a whole adequately. Hence again i will extend my invite (to anyone in here that is interested, really) to either r/KotakuInAction or my chatroom at #gamergate @freenode.net. Contact link are above
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:34:59 am by mrdoh »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #486 on: October 20, 2014, 02:36:23 am »

Operation Disrespectful Nod, Operation Krampus and a hundred other silly GamerGate operations say different. Target the advertisers, don't fully disclose that you identify with GamerGate, push the message that we are offended and put pressure on the website to change (censor) their message.

You are simply being disingenuous now!

Video games are already art, they have been for over a decade now, you missed the memo. I didn't need a vanguard of the proletariat to make it happen-it's done. And if you think that someone expressing their opinion in a Bayonetta review is "herding sheep" then you have even less respect for gamers than Milo Yiannopoulos who said, and I quote, "If you're a grown man with hands clamped to an Xbox controller instead of a pair of tits you need a good slap!"

The role of a reviewer is not to encourage a producer, it's to review and critique them. You seem confused. A producer produces a product, and then the reviewer givers their take on whether it's good or not-they don't owe them anything!

Oh the poor little devs, not being allowed to gleefully toss in an exploitative 2Edgy4U sexual assault scene without being called on their bullshit. Not being allowed to ignore diversity without some nasty reviewer saying that out loud. The press isn't supposed to cotton wool people it investigates, it's supposed to ask hard questions and investigate fearlessly-that's called being ethical, google it!

I dunno, literature, cinema-computer games? Criticism is good, and even if you don't think it's good it's not going anywhere. Gaming journalists do not owe your favourite devs a free ride, if they tried to give them one then that would actually be corrupt and unethical journalism!

Offline mrdoh

• Apprentice
« Reply #487 on: October 20, 2014, 02:48:43 am »
Operation Krampus got shat on rather hard, actually. I know because one of my friend drummed it up and it dive like a lead balloon. And no, i'm not being disingenious. #gamergate is a banner we rally with, but it is still a consumer revolt at core. And what does a consumer revolt do? We boycott.

A lot of people still disagree with your assessment though. As much as we would like to talk about video games being arts already, it is only recognized so within our circles. And the Milo thing i feel a bit disingenious at you too. He's a reporter at heart. You just dig dirt from his past (that he already apologized for and accepted) while bemoaning about GGers dig up Cracked's past article. That's kinda hypocritical, really.

Reviews are critique, yes. And criticism for any medium is good for it grow. What i'm talking about is trifle like this.
http://kotaku.com/idiots-fight-to-keep-a-medieval-game-white-1516970808
or this
http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/1/6880061/shadow-mordor-kissing-design
Even Erik Kain was like "that's trying too hard". You don't see Roger Ebert trying to preach about how a movie is offensive because it messed with his personal belief, do you? (AFAIK). He takes it for what it is, and that's what we ask for.

Let me remind you that the scene in Hotline Miami 2 was a movie scene within a game. It is not even in the reality of the game. The dev had already go on record about how it had a bigger meaning that required context within the game to be understand. But then your opinion just immediately validate my point about why it is not good for agenda to be put into the press. If you want to encourage freedom of expession, then that's not the way to go about it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:51:23 am by mrdoh »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2014, 02:49:41 am »
First of, I will say though is that twitter is a terrible place to be hold any discussion about this. The 140 character format lend itself to insulting each other and quips rather than actual discussion (even if i have had good discussion about it). If anything, i am invite you to either r/KotakuInAction (http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/) or even my own personal hideout #gamergate@freenode.net (if you don't have irc cilent use this instead http://webchat.freenode.net/, channel is #gamergate). The format of a reddit and chatroom lend itself much better to debate about this. And no, we won't gang up on you.

As for the alternative, NicheGamer, and TechRaptor is quickly becoming one of those alternative, because of their quality product. We are being the changes here, make no mistake.

http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/10/on-gamers-culture-and-gamergate/
http://www.nichegamer.net/2014/10/gamergate-interview-reviewing-the-reviewers-double-time-edition/

Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly, nope-I'm not going anywhere near your little corner of creepshot reddit heaven!

As for the constant talk of reform, keep in mind that the press had been constantly refused to talk to us. It had been radio silence since the GJP leak until the recent kerfuffle. It took two to dance, and no one is willing to take a dance here. We are talking about holding streams and openly invite any anti GG to come in, and all we got is an idiot that was left out to dry by literally everyone else.

Nope, put away that persecution mania.

At least recently Brian Crecente is crowdsourcing the policy of Polygon, so if anything there are progress of reform. So telling me that there's no reform is just a bit ignorant on the subject.

Gamer Gate taking credit for that is laughable, if it's bad news it's deniable-if it's good, it's all us.

As for Bayonetta 2 thing, i think you are unfairly nitpicking my point. I meant as in people were up in arm because they thought that Polygon unfairly docked points off Bayonetta 2 (again, i'm not a native English speaker so if i made you misunderstood it my apology).

You mean people from GamerGate who don't understand how reviewing works got annoyed and thought they could tell a reviewer how to do their job, this is news?

And as you can see, it never gain any traction, cooler heads prevailed. This proved my point about GamerGate being an organic, leaderless movement where good ideas will float up and shit ideas will be cosigned to the trash like it is.

Well, that's the best evidence I've seen that shit floats!

For the rest of the point you raised though, it deserved to be discuss much better in depth. Me on my own does not represent GamerGate as a whole adequately. Hence again i will extend my invite (to anyone in here that is interested, really) to either r/KotakuInAction or my chatroom at #gamergate @freenode.net. Contact link are above

Nah, but feel free to run away there and stay away. Please do.

Offline mrdoh

• Apprentice
« Reply #489 on: October 20, 2014, 02:56:12 am »
snip

So i'm guessing you are content to just believe what you believe and ad hominem attack instead? Well then. My work is cut half then.

My invite are already there. And there are plenty of former anti GG who after a discussion at r/KotakuInAction (uncensored discussion btw) decide to defect. If you want your beliefs to be unchallenged and be in your echo chamber, please go ahead. And no, i'm not running. Keep in mind here's me in what is technically enemy territory talking to you and Cloud. That's not the behavior of someone who just want to be left in their own little hugbox to trust what they are feed in.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #490 on: October 20, 2014, 02:59:08 am »
The kissing and killing thingy I've already said is silly, but people have the right to say silly things.

The kotaku piece is on more solid ground, trade happened in the Medieval period and yeah-not everyone everywhere in Medieval Europe was white even if there were a heckavu lot of white people. This is just someone calling out idiots for getting their knickers in a twist because they want whites only characters when they can't justify that with reference to history.

Seriously, these are the sort of things that upset GamerGaters as consumers? See if you cared more about people getting charged through the nose for crap they don't need they'd take you seriously!

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #491 on: October 20, 2014, 03:02:46 am »
So we're suddenly an echo chamber now. I wish I could say that's the first I've heard that one.
Who needs a signature?

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
« Reply #492 on: October 20, 2014, 03:09:40 am »
snip

So i'm guessing you are content to just believe what you believe and ad hominem attack instead? Well then. My work is cut half then.

My invite are already there. And there are plenty of former anti GG who after a discussion at r/KotakuInAction (uncensored discussion btw) decide to defect. If you want your beliefs to be unchallenged and be in your echo chamber, please go ahead. And no, i'm not running. Keep in mind here's me in what is technically enemy territory talking to you and Cloud. That's not the behavior of someone who just want to be left in their own little hugbox to trust what they are feed in.

And many former atheists who, after going to Hillsong saw the light and praised Jesus for ever after-blessed be his name, amen!

Also, Cloud and I are not the same organism. Our arguments are different, our key points are often different. I pointed out as much to Madman when he was similarly confused.

Lets see if you can find how and why my arguments aren't the same as Clouds, hint-it's bleeding obvious and Cloud has already explicitly stated it!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:18:21 am by Tolpuddle Martyr »

Offline mrdoh

• Apprentice
« Reply #493 on: October 20, 2014, 03:20:08 am »
Fun fact: I'm an atheist. But that's because the harsh reality of life formed my perception and the religion-less of my communist home country.

And please note Cloud, i'm not saying this place is an echo chamber. I merely questioned and criticise Martyr's attitude about me extending an invite. My invite to r/KotakuInAction and my chatroom still stand. I already ventured into enemy territory, and i merely ask you to step into our shoes and walk with us for a little while, just like what i've been doing now.

As for the Kingdom Deliverance claim, yeah there wasn't just white people. However i have a few people or two that studied history and historical arts that may have a word with you about the authencity of Kotaku's claim. Hint: back then peple don't have transportation neccessary, and the only place that actually have racial diversity is trade hubs.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
« Reply #494 on: October 20, 2014, 03:23:52 am »
I addressed the whole "come to my side" idiocy when you first showed up.

As for the contradictory claim that you didn't say this is an echo chamber, I'll let you speak for yourself:

If you want your beliefs to be unchallenged and be in your echo chamber, please go ahead.
Who needs a signature?