Author Topic: Best Political Cartoons  (Read 1648786 times)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
Re: Best Political Cartoons
« Reply #4605 on: October 23, 2014, 02:29:16 pm »
The problem with meritocracies is that someone (person, group, institution, whatever) has to decide what does and does not count as "merit", and they are going to bias it in their favour.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4606 on: October 23, 2014, 02:39:34 pm »
The problem with meritocracies is that someone (person, group, institution, whatever) has to decide what does and does not count as "merit", and they are going to bias it in their favour.

That's true, but there are certain things that are more or less globally good for society, for example, volunteering at a homeless shelter.  It would take some hammering out and consensus, but it'd be possible.  Maybe not in the US, but somewhere.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #4607 on: October 23, 2014, 04:23:16 pm »
That, and a meritocracy.  That way, the only people with power are people who've actually, ya know, done something for society instead of just having known the right people and/or had a lot of money.

It is increasingly impractical to have an impact in modern society without having a lot of money and/or having the right social network. Another obvious problem with a meritocracy is that the rulers need not have any responsibility towards representing the will of the public or furthering the public good. There are no checks (say, elections) that would require them to ever listen to their serfs.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #4608 on: October 23, 2014, 05:06:07 pm »
So, Starship Troopers -- the novel, not the movie.

I can't remember how many times I've heard it called fascist for having a government doing exactly that.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #4609 on: October 23, 2014, 05:49:03 pm »
Maybe George Washington was right about political parties....

Is it even possible to have a political system without parties?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_democracy

That, and a meritocracy.  That way, the only people with power are people who've actually, ya know, done something for society instead of just having known the right people and/or had a lot of money.

But how are you going to actually preselect candidates? How do you develop policy? How do you give the public a choice over that policy? If you don't have the Red/Blue/Green colours, it becomes very hard to keep political bodies accountable. In consensus democracy for instance, the government agenda seems to be decided after the public has already voted, making the system much less democratic.

That's the beauty of parties. They provide a choice. Do you want free health insurance? Vote Democrat. If you don't, vote Republican.

The trouble with the American system is that you can't actually trust the parties. You vote for free health insurance and they give you something vaguely resembling that, due to the weak party system. Also, the two-party system is dreadful for choice, because more than one decision will be made every four years.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #4610 on: October 23, 2014, 05:54:13 pm »
That's true, but there are certain things that are more or less globally good for society, for example, volunteering at a homeless shelter.  It would take some hammering out and consensus, but it'd be possible.  Maybe not in the US, but somewhere.

Even that can be twisted into looking negative, ex: "Stop giving those lazy bums handouts! They'll never get jobs if they're not suffering!"

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #4611 on: October 24, 2014, 12:49:40 pm »
I'm also bummed that the people who could overthrow the Tealiban say home with their Cheetos when they should be out voting!

Again, I say to them....QUIT WAITING FOR THE "IDEAL" THE IDEAL WON'T COME FOR NOW! GO WITH WHAT'S POSSIBLE NOW!

I'm aware that the Democratic Party is wishy-washy! Well, better them than a horde of Theocratic Fascists!

Once people start to vote DEMS constantly & faithfully, then, over time, we can Liberalize the party.

Baby steps....baby steps!

I'm so disgusted with a majority of otherwise intelligent people who are too stupid to GET TOGETHER AND GET THINGS DONE!

You know what's frustrating. I'm trying to find the websites that can tell me.....

1.) How the Left can & WILL get it's groove back!
2.) A concise list on how Democrats & Repugs are not the same (and how the Dems are better).
3.) Hopeful news for Progressive Americans (to raise morale).

But I can't find what I'm looking for. Even the Internet is against me. Am I a bad searcher? Surely such articles exist in droves! I keep hearing that the majority of Americans are Center-Left. If so, we should be running the show! Were those articles lying? Is America really that backwards?

Maybe all American Progressives who "get it" and CARE should just all move to Canada! Yes, there's a NeoCon in the PM seat, but so far, the Canadians are sane and intelligent. With the Progressive Americans, we can stem the Right-Ward tide and put the Harperites out to Pasture...making Canada the REAL LAND OF THE FREE. Then we can watch the U.S. turn into a Fascist hellhole and tell the boneheaded Progressives-Who-Didn't-Vote-Because-They're-Dumbasses "WE TOLD YOU SO! WE TRIED TO MAKE YOU VOTE! YOU GOT WHAT YOU DIDN'T VOTE FOR! WE TOLD YOU SO!!! DUMBASSES!!!".

Canada will become the big Liberal power of North America. If U.S. Libs need to come here as immigrants, let them. Maybe they'll learn and we Libs, we're cool like that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:03:17 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4612 on: October 24, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »
I'm also bummed that the people who could overthrow the Tealiban say home with their Cheetos when they should be out voting!

Again, I say to them....QUIT WAITING FOR THE "IDEAL" THE IDEAL WON'T COME FOR NOW! GO WITH WHAT'S POSSIBLE NOW!

I'm aware that the Democratic Party is wishy-washy! Well, better them than a horde of Theocratic Fascists!

Once people start to vote DEMS constantly & faithfully, then, over time, we can Liberalize the party.

I'm so disgusted with a majority of otherwise intelligent people who are too stupid to GET TOGETHER AND GET THINGS DONE!

Sometimes, it's about choosing the lesser of two evils.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4613 on: October 24, 2014, 01:04:39 pm »

Sometimes, it's about choosing the lesser of two evils.

EXACTLY! Now if someone can give me links to the sites I'm looking for, I'll be most happy.

Give me hope give me morale!

I swear, the Far-Right is PROOF that "Spiritual Warfare Prayer" WORKS! I used to be one of them. I went to their churches! It's malefic magick! I know this board is mostly skeptics/atheists but I don't care, I'm going to say it.....Prayer, like magick....is directing very real psychic/neurological energy to affect some sort of change. You don't need to believe in Deities or an afterlife.

There are HUGE amounts of Tealibans that have been praying in concentrated, energy-packed ways, for the Progressives to become inept, spineless, unable to organize, pessimistic, fearful, etc. it has been WORKING!

Our lack of unity alone is not the real reason we can't get everything done! Even the Far-Right is rife with backstabbing, Fundie Fights, downfalls & ineptitude. No, something INTANGIBLE is messing with our heads!

S'bout time that Progressive religious/spiritual/magickal groups/churches/temples/etc. would start getting on the "Spiritual Warfare" bandwagon. IT WORKS!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:13:30 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4614 on: October 24, 2014, 01:05:10 pm »

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4615 on: October 24, 2014, 01:14:38 pm »

Yes. Canada is our last resort & new beginning, should the American Progs fail to take back this country.

I'm going to create a folder on my Bookmarks dedicated to Canada stuff....just in case.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:16:31 pm by SpukiKitty »

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #4616 on: October 24, 2014, 04:35:28 pm »

Yes. Canada is our last resort & new beginning, should the American Progs fail to take back this country.

I'm going to create a folder on my Bookmarks dedicated to Canada stuff....just in case.

I would like to introduce you to someone called Stephen Harper.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #4617 on: October 24, 2014, 06:34:56 pm »

I would like to introduce you to someone called Stephen Harper.

I know about him. I mentioned him in my earlier post. Can't you read?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4618 on: October 24, 2014, 07:03:40 pm »

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4619 on: October 26, 2014, 05:01:45 pm »