Author Topic: Good artists, bad people  (Read 16857 times)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Good artists, bad people
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2014, 06:20:25 pm »
I dunno if they were trying to be ironic

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2014, 09:08:43 pm »
I think they were, because I lawled at that stunt. Poking fun at hypersexual macho fantasy, mayhap?
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2014, 11:28:56 pm »
He's a White Nationalist, but not a Neo-Nazi.  He believes in democracy, for one thing.  It's a bit of a sticking point for him.

Eh, same shit, different pile.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2014, 01:07:01 am »
Rammstein's concerts are weird like they are one of the few pyros who actually know what they are legally doing

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2014, 10:37:47 am »
Err, thanks for informing me.

On that note, most people in extreme metal are massive sexists, homophobes and transphobes.

Most?  I disagree.  Though it might depend on what you mean by extreme metal.   Although I am aware there are a lot of neo-nazi metal bands but almost none of them have any kind of mainstream succes and they tend to be very underground, no sane record label would touch them with a barge poll.

I don't know how anyone can claim to be a fan of any kind of metal and be homophobic anyway when one of the most important and influential figures in metal history is gay.  I apologise if this is a bit of a "no true scotsman" but anyone like that IMO isn't a real metal fan and can fuck right off.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2014, 10:38:34 am »
Rammstein's concerts are weird like they are one of the few pyros who actually know what they are legally doing

The lead singer is a trained and licensed pyrotechnician isn't he?

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2014, 10:43:28 am »

Considering Rammstein's penchant for over the top tongue-in-cheek sillyness it's almost certain they're not being serious.

Offline solar.

• God
  • Bepis
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »
Err, thanks for informing me.

On that note, most people in extreme metal are massive sexists, homophobes and transphobes.

Most?  I disagree.  Though it might depend on what you mean by extreme metal.   Although I am aware there are a lot of neo-nazi metal bands but almost none of them have any kind of mainstream succes and they tend to be very underground, no sane record label would touch them with a barge poll.

I don't know how anyone can claim to be a fan of any kind of metal and be homophobic anyway when one of the most important and influential figures in metal history is gay.  I apologise if this is a bit of a "no true scotsman" but anyone like that IMO isn't a real metal fan and can fuck right off.
What I mean by "extreme metal" is doom, thrash, death and black metal.

I do agree with you about Rob Halford, but the singer from Megadeth, one of the more mainstream metal bands, said that the last thing he needs is "a bunch of homos picketing us" in response to a question about Judas Priest.

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2014, 12:57:00 pm »
Well he is a bit of a Christian fundie so that kind of goes hand-in-hand with homophobia.  He's also just generally an all-round certified douchebag who has at some point managed to piss off just about everyone in the metal industry.  He's also, coincidentally, a conspiracy nutter.  He's such a monumental twat that I feel bad any time I buy one of their albums (old megadeth albums kicked serious amounts of ass, musically speaking).

As for death and black metal bands most of the ones I follow are too busy with norse mythology and general fantasy bullshit to bother saying anything homophobic lol.  I do know though that the earlier black metal scene had a lot of assholes in it, as well as a few figures who were more than a little messed up.

Should probably mentioned too that the singer of Gorgoroth is gay (he's also among the messed up memebers of the black metal fraternity, so the messed up ones aren't always homophobic too lol) .  But he's the only openly gay member of an extreme metal band that I can think of off the top of my head.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:01:19 pm by Katsuro »

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

Yeah actually said guy had a hard life and he's the whipping boy in the music videos so it might be his way of coping

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »

Yeah actually said guy had a hard life and he's the whipping boy in the music videos so it might be his way of coping

Yeah the S&M aspects of Rammstein's videos and stage performances are often less than subtle.  I remember being particularly weirded out by the image from one of their videos of Snow White spanking one of the band members who was playing a dwarf lol.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2014, 01:04:37 pm »
I think that is him trying to cope.  Either way its rather Germanic

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2014, 01:14:00 pm »
I think that is him trying to cope.  Either way its rather Germanic

Funny you should say that 'coz I was once told by a German that spanking is thought of as a British fetish in mainland Europe lol.

Although as the Angles, Saxons, Vikings and Normans were all germanic or of germanic descent that does make Britain germanic (even if we don't usually think of oursevles as such) so I guess you're still right lol.