Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1514685 times)

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #5070 on: October 19, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »
Maybe this one will have Triads in it!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #5071 on: October 20, 2014, 11:26:57 am »
Off topic:
It annoys me when people joke about the tf2 medic being a Nazi.

Offensiveness aside the joke about Germans being depraved loons has been around way longer than the Nazis.

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5072 on: October 20, 2014, 10:50:03 pm »
Maybe this one will have Triads in it!
No, the Triad in the title doesn't refer to the criminal organization. I think it refers to a group of three in the storyline itself or something, but I'm not sure.

But ROTT 2013's real problem is it's performance.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #5073 on: October 20, 2014, 11:45:59 pm »
Off topic:

Offensiveness aside the joke about Germans being depraved loons has been around way longer than the Nazis.
A lot of it goes back to world war one propaganda where British newspapers made a lot of copy out of demonizing the "Beastly Hun" who was picking on poor innocent Belgium.

Kind of set the tone for wartime propaganda, and racism, after that.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5074 on: October 21, 2014, 12:05:12 am »
Off topic:

A lot of it goes back to world war one propaganda where British newspapers made a lot of copy out of demonizing the "Beastly Hun" who was picking on poor innocent Belgium.

Kind of set the tone for wartime propaganda, and racism, after that.
I think even before that there was lots of jokes about the Germans, I believe I once read something about how Mary Antonine was accused of sleeping with her children as that was a popular stereotype of german and Eastern European places.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #5075 on: October 21, 2014, 01:12:00 am »
There's also the fact that the Medic does...a lot of unnecessary experiments and surgeries on the mercs.  I mean have you watched Meet the Medic?  Dude replaces  everyone's hearts with Mega Baboon Hearts so they can Uber.  How fucked up is that?

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #5076 on: October 21, 2014, 01:16:32 am »
There's also the fact that the Medic does...a lot of unnecessary experiments and surgeries on the mercs.  I mean have you watched Meet the Medic?  Dude replaces  everyone's hearts with Mega Baboon Hearts so they can Uber.  How fucked up is that?

On the other hand, the fact that they allow him to do so speaks volumes about how much they trust him.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5077 on: October 21, 2014, 02:03:07 am »
Off topic:

Also, despite mentioning that the medic became a doctor "in a time when Hippocratic oath was just an suggestion" Valve officially said that he isn't and never was a Nazi.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5078 on: October 21, 2014, 02:20:21 am »
Off topic:

Also, despite mentioning that the medic became a doctor "in a time when Hippocratic oath was just an suggestion" Valve officially said that he isn't and never was a Nazi.
I believe they actually denied it.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5079 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:05 am »
So? I do that an I'm not a Nazi.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #5080 on: October 21, 2014, 08:06:36 am »
So? I do that an I'm not a Nazi.

You sure?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5081 on: October 21, 2014, 08:26:36 am »
Off topic:

...That I what I said. That is definitely what I said in that post that you just quoted. They said that the Medic is not, and never was a Nazi.

And now for something completely different:

I did think of a game idea which is something like the "Hatred" or the Postal games but also similar to the Punisher and all these superhero/villain-games with a morality meter.

Start out with a character who is dying of cancer. In order to cash in on their life insurance they decide to walk at night through a dangerous neighbourhood in hopes of getting mugged to death (Or simply having a gun in their pocket and picking a fight with the first gang they see.) Instead, during the tutorial, they see a mugging in progress and interfere, managing to save the victim.

Now, they decide to go out with guns blazing and arm themselves and roam the city, hunting the criminals. So very much like Punisher, but rather than losing their family, they themselves are dying (wether they are a divorcee and doing this for their kids, or live with their family and try to keep this a secret is undecided at the moment.) I also thought of bringing the morality system in by having the player kill a drug dealer and finding their money and drugs. Do they keep the money to be given to their family? Do they keep the drugs so that they can earn more money with it? (The morality system will come into play with what kind of people the player kills and what they do with the loot.)

I think a character like this already has more potential than the "I'm SOOO edgy and dark and want to kill everything!" in the Hatred. A half-decent motive for their actions at the very least.

I did start thinking about this more and making the player character a divorced person whose kids are not in his/her custody makes it easier to explain how the family does not notice what they are doing. If they visit them at some point of the story this also offers a chance for them to claim that rather than trying to hide their gunshot wounds they are simply suffering from the side effects of chemotherapy.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:19:51 pm by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #5082 on: October 21, 2014, 09:09:50 am »
Off topic:

I think it's because he's so similar to Mengele, minus the twin obsession.
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
« Reply #5083 on: October 21, 2014, 11:26:26 am »
Off topic:

...That I what I said. That is definitely what I said in that post that you just quoted. They said that the Medic is, and never was a Nazi.

And now for something completely different:

I did think of a game idea which is something like the "Hatred" or the Postal games but also similar to the Punisher and all these superhero/villain-games with a morality meter.

Start out with a character who is dying of cancer. In order to cash in on their life insurance they decide to walk at night through a dangerous neighbourhood in hopes of getting mugged to death (Or simply having a gun in their pocket and picking a fight with the first gang they see.) Instead, during the tutorial, they see a mugging in progress and interfere, managing to save the victim.

Now, they decide to go out with guns blazing and arm themselves and roam the city, hunting the criminals. So very much like Punisher, but rather than losing their family, they themselves are dying (wether they are a divorcee and doing this for their kids, or live with their family and try to keep this a secret is undecided at the moment.) I also thought of bringing the morality system in by having the player kill a drug dealer and finding their money and drugs. Do they keep the money to be given to their family? Do they keep the drugs so that they can earn more money with it? (The morality system will come into play with what kind of people the player kills and what they do with the loot.)

I think a character like this already has more potential than the "I'm SOOO edgy and dark and want to kill everything!" in the Hatred. A half-decent motive for their actions at the very least.

I did start thinking about this more and making the player character a divorced person whose kids are not in his/her custody makes it easier to explain how the family does not notice what they are doing. If they visit them at some point of the story this also offers a chance for them to claim that rather than trying to hide their gunshot wounds they are simply suffering from the side effects of chemotherapy.
1. I read that as valve not saying if he is or isn't a Nazi, don't know why.

As for your game idea: the problem is that a system that it not only makes it so the player does the right thing just to score points, it's also a fairly cheap way say that what you're doing is wrong.

Alternatively players simply won't care, it just becomes a bar that shifts around on the side.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #5084 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:57 am »
I hate it when a game gets a patch and it messed up the difficulty level. Im looking at you, Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late (... its a fighting game by the guys behind Melty Blood). CPU throwing combos out of nowhere left right and centre now :(