Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1512743 times)

Even Then

Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #6015 on: September 09, 2015, 03:11:57 pm »
So Touken Ranbu's Kantai, but with swords?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6016 on: September 09, 2015, 03:13:40 pm »
Exactly right. Male swords as opposed to female ships, but that's the only significant difference.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #6017 on: September 09, 2015, 03:34:06 pm »
So if two guys from Touken Ranbu started to have a dick battle, it would literally be swordfighting?

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #6018 on: September 09, 2015, 05:03:10 pm »
...I literally cannot think of a witty response to that. Yes, I suppose it would.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #6019 on: September 09, 2015, 05:12:03 pm »
I win ^^

Offline Second Coming of Madman

• Some of Internet Jesus
  • The Beast
  • Cisscum Internationale Society
« Reply #6020 on: September 11, 2015, 09:38:53 pm »
....Did Capcom have to reveal Rashid on 9/11?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H35g7es55v0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H35g7es55v0</a>
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:41:06 pm by Second Coming of Madman »
@KanzlerImaginos - Feel free to drop me a line.

Toddlers get too much exercise, they wouldn't make good veal.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #6021 on: September 12, 2015, 02:20:13 pm »
Why not reveal him on 9/11? It's as good a day to do so as any.
Who needs a signature?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6022 on: September 12, 2015, 03:21:48 pm »
Ay-rabs shouldn't be seen on our generation's Pearl Harbour anniversary.  At least, not for another...20 years?  Maybe 15 if we're lucky.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6023 on: September 12, 2015, 09:30:22 pm »
Metal Gear Solid V is hype as fuck, and the plot makes about as much sense as the other games. Fucking Kiefer Sutherland has fuck all lines in this though and the amount of cutscenes is way lower, a bit jarring considering you couldn't get anybody to shut the fuck up in the previous games.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #6024 on: September 13, 2015, 02:26:26 pm »

But to reveal a character who's basically an Arab stereotype, on the anniversary of the day when terrorists who happened to be from the MIDDLE EAST attacked the US, just seems really, really gauche.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6025 on: September 13, 2015, 02:31:40 pm »

But to reveal a character who's basically an Arab stereotype, on the anniversary of the day when terrorists who happened to be from the MIDDLE EAST attacked the US, just seems really, really gauche.

On the other hand, it's a Japanese game.  It might have just slipped their minds.

Even Then

« Reply #6026 on: September 13, 2015, 02:52:08 pm »
Fair enough.

You know, aside from the whole reveal kerfluffle, he just looks like a cool character to me. Maybe a bit stereotypical, but then again there's Zangief, Blanka, Dhalsim and that turkish oil wrestling guy too, so it's not like this is a first or anything.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #6027 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:56 pm »
Fair enough.

You know, aside from the whole reveal kerfluffle, he just looks like a cool character to me. Maybe a bit stereotypical, but then again there's Zangief, Blanka, Dhalsim and that turkish oil wrestling guy too, so it's not like this is a first or anything.

I didn't know Brazilians were stereotyped as green-skinned mutants.    ;)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6028 on: September 13, 2015, 03:02:04 pm »

On the other hand, it's a Japanese game.  It might have just slipped their minds.

Whats this? The Japanese not understanding that their stereotypes of other nations might be seen as offensive? More likely than you think.

Honestly, they rarely mean any harm but oftentimes they simply don't realize what they are doing. Like Shaman King manga (which is a good one btw) that has an American kid called "Chocolove McDonnel" who's spirit friend is a Jaguar called "Mic the Jaguar."

...and he looks like this:

I think the US translation of the Manga (or possibly anime) actually edited his face to make it look less like a caricature from 1940s.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Even Then

« Reply #6029 on: September 13, 2015, 03:51:46 pm »
See, I think this is what it's about. Japan does stuff like Chocolove and having a Brazilian character be a literal monster from the wild (although from what I recall, Blanka's one of the nicer characters in the SF franchise so make of that what you will), but they don't seem to understand what they're doing. Probably because Japan was an isolated culture up until relatively recently and so doesn't have the same cultural memories. To them, Chocolove is just a wacky sidekick and not a representation of decades of systemic racism that killed and dehumanized millions. There's no malice, no intent.

Whether that's actually a valid excuse in modern times where acquiring this information is super easy is a conversation I'm not going to jump into, though.