Author Topic: How far to vengence ... ?  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
How far to vengence ... ?
« on: October 07, 2012, 01:33:27 am »
We've see what vigilante justice gets you in cases like the one in Florida with the killing of Trayvon Martin, and while I have to admit to not being as shocked at a murderous intent when someone who is usually peaceful, says that they would kill anyone who hurts their little girl - this just seems more tragic  - would Therapy have helped a kid like that change his sexual proclivities?  Truly disturbing that this father felt a need to take it this far...

Father Executes Teen Son for Molesting 3-Year-Old Sister
ABC News: A 15-year-old boy who was killed by his father in an execution style killing spent the last moments of his life pleading, "No, Daddy! No!"
jamar pinkney jr kills teen son.  Jamar Pinkney Jr. was shot in the head Monday by his 37-year-old father, Jamar Pinkney Sr., who allegedly made the teen strip his clothes off and kneel in a vacant lot before he was killed by a single bullet.

The boy's mother, Lazette Cherry, told the Detroit Free Press that Pinkney Sr., showed up at her Highland Park, Mich., home after she told him that their son had made a startling confession.  According to Cherry, the 15-year-old had admitted to having "inappropriate contact" with his 3-year-old half sister.  "I called and told his father this isn't something you sweep under the rug," Cherry, who was unable to be reached by ABCNews.com, told the paper.  Pinkney Sr. began by pistol whipping his son in the living room where the teen lived with his mother before taking him outside, despite Cherry's pleas to stop.  The father marched the naked boy into the lot and made him kneel down. As the boy pleaded for his life and his distraught mother looked on, Pinkney Sr. allegedly executed the boy with a shot in the head.

Pinkney Sr. was charged with first degree murder and if convicted, could spend the rest of his life in prison. The judge entered a "not guilty" plea on behalf of Pinkney. He is also charged with three counts of felonious assault and one count of felony firearm.  Video of the arraignment shows a relative of the child being taken out of the court room after screaming "No, no, no," when Pinkney Sr. was led into court.  His lawyer, Corbett O'Meara, called the incident a "devastating tragedy.  My client is in shock and in mourning, but is hopeful that his family will be able to come out of this in as whole a state as possible," said O'Meara.  O'Meara said that Pinkney Sr., who turned himself into authorities, had no previous criminal history and had worked "for years" as a letter carrier for the United States Post Office.

Boy Killed by Father Was Known as Teddy Bear

"No individual has the right to exact the death penalty on another no matter how reprehensible the behavior," prosecutor Kym Worthy said in a statement. "That is why we have laws."  O'Meara told ABCNews.com that he hopes Worthy will "realize the case is far from straight forward" and requires something "other than the most aggressive" punishment.  And even though Pinkney Sr. had never been diagnosed with mental health problems, O'Meara said that if the allegations of the murder are true, "there must be issues with his mental health."  Meanwhile, the community where the child was raised is mourning the loss of a boy they say was known by friends as "teddy bear." Volunteers at the high school where Pinkney Jr. was a sophomore said the teen was "always smiling," according to The Detroit News.  The principal at Martin Luther King Jr. High School, Deborah Jenkins, told the paper that Pinkney Jr. was "well-liked" and that the school community has been "shaken badly" by his death.  "He was articulate. He passed his courses with A's, B's and C's. Everyone knew him to be a nice, quiet boy," said Jenkins.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
Re: How far to vengence ... ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:52:28 am »
I understand why the father did it.  People I know and love have been abused like that, and a desire for violent vengeance is a natural first response, but the prosecutor said it perfectly.
"No individual has the right to exact the death penalty on another no matter how reprehensible the behavior."
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:55:58 am »
I too understand the desire for this kind of violence.

To actually act on it, however, is as wrong as what his son did.  Perhaps even slightly wronger.

This man should be put behind bars and should never see the light of day again, as befitting all murderers.  Not killed himself, though.  That would be just as wrong.

Or at least that's my viewpoint on it.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 02:59:23 am »
To desire revenge is a natural human response, but to act on it is something else entirely.

Vengeance is born out of emotional thinking. This can be seen by the fact that people will attempt murder over tiny things or big things regardless.

Justice is not. Justice should be formed from rational thought and logic.

Vengeance and justice should never meet.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 04:20:43 am »
^ Which is one of the many reasons I oppose the death penalty.

To kill in self defense is one thing.  To kill a helpless being, regardless of what helpless beings they have killed, is another thing entirely.

Revenge should be kept out of government entirely.  The law does not exist to satisfy one's bloodlust, it exists to keep order.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 04:13:25 pm »
To kill in self defense is one thing.

This plus defense of a third person. 
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:36:16 pm »
To kill in self defense is one thing.

This plus defense of a third person. 

I keep forgetting that's not implied with self defense :V

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 04:40:37 am »
Holy shit, that's fucking brutal.  Well, if I may weigh in...

First of all, "inappropriate contact" is a pretty goddamn vague term.  I mean, we can assume that it couldn't have been good if the boy felt guilty enough to confess, but even then it's still kinda vague.  Secondly, as I just said, the boy must have been feeling pretty bad to come out and admit it.  To go and turn that into physical/mental abuse followed by murder is pretty fucked up.  Jesus Fucking Christ!

I can just imagine the conversation with the daughter, too - especially when she grows up and is able to comprehend it a little more.  I mean, I can imagine learning that your brother was brutally murdered, even over something like abusing you when you were 3, has got to have a pretty negative effect on the psyche.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline tygerarmy

• Zombie Dog Breeder
  • Pope
  • I'm not naked I'm Tattooed
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:45:36 pm »
First of all, "inappropriate contact" is a pretty goddamn vague term.  I mean, we can assume that it couldn't have been good if the boy felt guilty enough to confess, but even then it's still kinda vague.
This, for this case I'd need way more information before I passed judgement.  Where it stands right now, the dad needs mental help and to be put away.

Then about the OP's point of vengeance, in cases of self defense or the defense of third party it's a case by case thing.
In example: If I saw an act of violence on someone and it was a bias crime, race/gender/sexual orientation/religion/etc, even if I was safe from the bias I'd have to step in.  Walking in on the American History X scene, after the curb stomp happened, I would not be able to walk as I didn't see anything.

Twitter Soldier in sour armor tumblr

Offline Kristine

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:44 am »
First of all, "inappropriate contact" is a pretty goddamn vague term.
does it matter?  If it was something less disturbing it makes the murder that much more tragic, but even if it was something terrible - would he deserve death?