Author Topic: overpopulation or underpopulated  (Read 1689 times)

Offline a muslim Satanist

• Neonate
overpopulation or underpopulated
« on: January 10, 2019, 04:31:04 pm »
I was reading this article  https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/answering-the-ecological-argument-for-contraception   
and I was  curious  to know was people here thinking about if overpopulation is a thing or not

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: overpopulation or underpopulated
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:38:32 pm »
If shit keeps going as it is, it will be.  There's only so much in the way of resources that we got to go around.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:23:43 pm »
They are basically right that developed countries do not have an overpopulation problem, but that's only true because of birth control. It cannot be an argument that birth control isn't needed to control population growth.

(of course, ultimately, they don't care one way or another what are the actual consequences of contraceptive use, they want it gone anyway)
Σא

Offline Kanzenkankaku

• The Beast
  • Dreamer/Lightner
    • Mastadon Account
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 05:42:27 am »
They are basically right that developed countries do not have an overpopulation problem, but that's only true because of birth control. It cannot be an argument that birth control isn't needed to control population growth.

(of course, ultimately, they don't care one way or another what are the actual consequences of contraceptive use, they want it gone anyway)

This, mostly. However another big factor is education. The more educated people are the less kids they have on average. So of course in Europe and the USA where there is more education opportunities, as opposed to poor villages in Africa that aren't able to pay for it so they get very little education comparatively, there will be less children being born.

Certain countries where less children is the norm there is no overpopulation issues, but the planet as a whole? It's getting to full capacity really quick. Last time I checked we were at 8 billion total people, and just about 100 years ago it was like a quarter of that amount.