Author Topic: Another Super Bowl "Scandal" *sigh*  (Read 14551 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Re: Another Super Bowl "Scandal" *sigh*
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 12:18:16 pm »
While on the subject of racy ads I'm guessing although I could be wrong the PTC had no problems with this racist ad.  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbdXUWryXk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbdXUWryXk</a>

I saw that on Facebook. Offensive is a light word to describe it.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 01:07:33 pm »
While on the subject of racy ads I'm guessing although I could be wrong the PTC had no problems with this racist ad.  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbdXUWryXk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrbdXUWryXk</a>

Man, you are such a PC queen.  ::) :P

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 02:08:28 pm »
Wow, people can hear bitch, ass, dick, cunt and even fuck, shit, and asshole if they watch tv at the right time and people are getting uppity about a middle finger?

Good god America, grow the fuck up
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 02:22:10 pm »
Wow, people can hear bitch, ass, dick, cunt and even fuck, shit, and asshole if they watch tv at the right time and people are getting uppity about a middle finger?

Good god America, grow the fuck up

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 03:06:48 pm »

How's it offensive? I mean it is true, China holds a lot of US debt because we had to spend spend spend.
If it'd been a white Chinese? Maybe a black one? Perhaps Middle Eastern?
Oh, I get it, a chinese girl near a rice patty, yes, it all makes sense now.

Take note I'm not agreeing with the politician, just that calling something racist doesn't make it racist.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »
It is the  broken English. Sure, most Chinese folks would probably have broken English. But in this case, it is simply used to provoke a xenophobic reaction. Her language is just good enough to avoid being comical or overtly racist, but bad enough to get an uncanny valley type emotional reaction.
-A Pen Name

Offline DasFuchs

• God
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2012, 03:31:20 pm »
It is the  broken English. Sure, most Chinese folks would probably have broken English. But in this case, it is simply used to provoke a xenophobic reaction. Her language is just good enough to avoid being comical or overtly racist, but bad enough to get an uncanny valley type emotional reaction.

If that's the case, do you really think that the language alone would prevent such? People that get that enraged over the issue will whether she speaks broken English or not.
Hell, you could put a Canadian on that says thanks for giving them a place to dump their trash so they can keep their country clean and people will go apeshit about those "pussies in the 51st state"

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2012, 04:14:06 pm »

How's it offensive? I mean it is true, China holds a lot of US debt because we had to spend spend spend.
If it'd been a white Chinese? Maybe a black one? Perhaps Middle Eastern?
Oh, I get it, a chinese girl near a rice patty, yes, it all makes sense now.

Take note I'm not agreeing with the politician, just that calling something racist doesn't make it racist.

Setting aside the racial undertones for a moment, I do wonder about the veracity of the claims that she can't control her state's budget.  Also, if she wanted to raise taxes (while reducing spending, even), he'd put out an ad bitching about that, I'm sure.  If I were this guy's opponents, I'd go after the issue raised in the ad.  Otherwise, they can just say "Aha!  They have no real solutions, and are just playing the race card!"  They're disingenuous like that.

Anyway, yet another thread is looking to be derailed.  I'd love to discuss this more, but only if this topic gets its own thread.  Hell, I'd make a thread if the posts in this couldn't already easily stand on their own as a split topic.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2012, 05:01:01 pm »
And this is exactly why they need to do away with the halftime show. Between the shittiest damn halftime shows and commercials, sometimes it gets hard to remember there is a football game going on.

Your tongue, bite it.   Best part of that glorified rugby match is the commercials and the half-time show.

Ironbite-seriously I wouldn't watch the Super Bowl without them.

Never took you for a rugby player Ironbite, what position do you play?

Spectator.  I just don't like football all that much.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »
Bit of an update for the racist super bowl ad...the secret is in the html code: http://gawker.com/5883021/pete-hoekstras-racist-campaign-ad-getting-even-racist+er

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 07:08:22 pm »
Ugh... I'm ashamed that Pete is from my state, in fact I think he is from Grand Rapids. I actually met Debbie Stabanow back in 2006 and she seemed like a nice lady.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Ranger_Joe

• Pope
  • The Stranger With Candy
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 09:08:46 pm »
Oh what the fuck.....REALLY? Does this person have nothing better to do with their time? I saw the game and didn't even notice the middle finger. Nor did anyone else in the room, or their children. (There was around 25 of us)

While it is a crude gesture, I don't think that one finger just traumatized all the children across the country. Clearly, this person is trying to either get 15 minutes of fame, or get the NFL/NBC to settle out of court.

I wish everyone would just look at them and go "Really? Seriously? Go over there and try to get a life."
Rangers Lead The Way..All The Way!

I would give a fuck, but I gave my last one to your mother last night.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 11:59:22 pm »
Oh what the fuck.....REALLY? Does this person have nothing better to do with their time? I saw the game and didn't even notice the middle finger. Nor did anyone else in the room, or their children. (There was around 25 of us)

While it is a crude gesture, I don't think that one finger just traumatized all the children across the country. Clearly, this person is trying to either get 15 minutes of fame, or get the NFL/NBC to settle out of court.

I wish everyone would just look at them and go "Really? Seriously? Go over there and try to get a life."

I'm still trying to think of a hit song that M.I.A. even had since "Case of the Ex."  The "Lady Marmalade" cover doesn't count because it was with 3 other singers and it was a shitty cover.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 12:46:58 am »
Wait MIA didn't do Lady Marmalade.  Hell she wasn't even on the scene then.

Ironbite-only thing of MIA's I know is Airplanes.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:52 am »
Wait...I thought M.I.A already had her 15 minutes...

Don't enjoy her music much, personally, but my brother's a fan, sooooooooooooo...yeah.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.